Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
Very interesting. And very bold. I sincerely hope he gets the vote through or it will not only be the end of his career at AF/KL, but imho also the beginning of the end of AF/KL itself.
I had no idea Jean-Marc Janaillac was so indispensable to the good ( ) functioning not only of Air France, but of KLM and the other subsidiaries...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
I could not sleep last night, so I started thinking about scenarios for the future.
Maybe some bedside tacticians can join this futile exercise.
Was it a NEV3 or a NEV4 bed?

probably explains the lack of sleep!!!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Some...
1. Assuming that the vote is strongly in favor of accepting the contract terms, would pilots keep on striking, knowing that they asked for an immediate raise around 11%? Pilots are a minority in AF staff and the SNPL could argue that their membership wants to strike.
SNPL will argue that their members want to strike. They only take into consideration the pilots and don't care about the opinion of other unions. As long as enough pilots agree to be on strike, they won't move (unless they get their raise)

2. Assuming that the vote is strongly negative, what will really happen? The CEO has put himself, and the company, in an impossible situation. Without a group CEO who will manage? OK there is still an AF CEO who handled the negotiations, but can decisions be made with a lame duck Group CEO.
Unions might agree to wait for the new global CEO but you can be sure they'll start their strike again as soon as he/she arrives.
That's what they did between Janaillac and Juniac

3. Assuming that the vote is "mixed" (say 55% in favor), what will happen?
Nothing. Janaillac will stay and you can expect negotations to continue
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:20 am

So if I have a flight on may 4th should I call now or wait to see if my flight is cancelled?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by nock
So if I have a flight on may 4th should I call now or wait to see if my flight is cancelled?
Chances are that [even if you call asking to be moved to an alternative service] they will not touch your booking at this very stage, this on the basis that the strike could still be called off. I'd give it a couple of more days if I were you (merely a tip based on direct experience).

G
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:46 am

Yeah. That's what I figured. Thanks. If my flight were to be cancelled could I potentially switch to any same fare class on a different flight? In other words if I'm on the older a380 business would I be able to switch into the newer business class on a different flight without charge?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
I also have a flight in may 4th. We will see what happen...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by nock
Yeah. That's what I figured. Thanks. If my flight were to be cancelled could I potentially switch to any same fare class on a different flight? In other words if I'm on the older a380 business would I be able to switch into the newer business class on a different flight without charge?
You will be offered alternative based on the class you originally booked (i.e. business, in your particular case), regardless of the aircraft operating a given route; at times they would also come up with a wider set of solutions, including flights in economy on partner airlines (e.g. KLM). I normally find Air France extremely flexible when it comes to rebooking hence I wouldn't worry too much.

G
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:07 am

I called the AF Service. They said that they can rebook me on another day or with KLM without problems.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:13 am

Did my rebooking for my flight DUS-CDG-BOG. Will fly now 2 days earlier.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I had no idea Jean-Marc Janaillac was so indispensable to the good ( ) functioning not only of Air France, but of KLM and the other subsidiaries...
Well. No he probably isn't. But if he loses it will give the unions even more power, and that's the thing that worries me. Big losses of the biggest affiliate will certainly have an impact on the holding as a whole.

Last edited by Zembla; Apr 26, 2018 at 6:46 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:23 am

A few weeks back on one of the strike days, Air France cancelled their CDG - LAX - PPT flight. I have an upcoming LAX - PPT flight on a potential strike days, and given that this is Tahiti, there aren't really other Skyteam alternatives flying to the island on that day

For anyone who did encounter the above cancellation, were they rebooked on Air Tahiti Nui or what? I don't want my entire tahiti vacation ruined (which involves non refundable expensive hotels on the island) because the only flight to the island served by air france is cancelled.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any experience in how service proceeds on the days before strike actions?
My long haul into CDG leaves on May 1, my cxn to ATH leaves at 20.35 May 2, arriving at 00.40 on May 3.
Disregarding the usual concerns associated with checking bags through connections, will baggage handling at CDG on the evening of May 2 be impacted by the strike called for the 3rd?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by thibderoc

Unions might agree to wait for the new global CEO but you can be sure they'll start their strike again as soon as he/she arrives.
That's what they did between Janaillac and Juniac
It will take a long time to find a new CEO. Very few wanted the job the last time. There will even fewer candidates this time. Except maybe Guillaume Pepy
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EY Silver, AF/KL Silver
Have noticed that none of the strike days so far have been on a Sunday - is that by design or just coincidence? Interested as have upcoming flight CDG to LAX on a Sunday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.