Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France Upgrade to Business Class at Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Fingers crossed for PTP-ORY, but I would only pay about 30k miles from Premium Economy. They are being a little greedy asking for so much at check-in.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Fingers crossed for PTP-ORY, but I would only pay about 30k miles from Premium Economy. They are being a little greedy asking for so much at check-in.
Caribbean flights are ridiculously expensive to upgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I have never really flow Air France on long haul flight, so not sure of the rules, but have a flight LAX-PPT in a few weeks.
Does anyone know if they offer paid upgrades to Business on this route during OLCI? or is it better to ask at check-in or gate?
Satie and greyvador like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
On OLCI if available. Price or availability not guaranteed.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OpenSky
Just out of curiosity, does AF offer upgrades at check in Business to La Premier?

Lufthansa Does Not. BA does not, unless you are BA Premier Card holder. Swiss does not.
Etihad does. For cash. Emirates depends. Also for cash, and both do not like to advertise it.

I would do this if it was priced correctly, ( i.e attractive to me)
FWIW, AA seems to have started doing this. Someone posted an offer they got for DFW-LHR $499 for J to F. Not terrible IMHO but FTers could argue all day whether it’s worth it on AA. The difference from J to F on an AA 77W is much smaller than on AF, especially departing from a city that doesn’t have the most updated lounge/pre-flight amenities the airline offers.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Speaking of which, did anybody under the new system received an upgrade offer from J to P that they took?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Speaking of which, did anybody under the new system received an upgrade offer from J to P that they took?
I'm curious where you would even bother to look/where would it be advertised.
I have never received an offer - nor actively solicited one.

I'm usually on the JFK-ORY flight which is two cabin. Sorry for 500 its not worth it on AA/BA, but I would pay for it on AF. Or LX for that matter!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:24 pm

I'm curious where you would even bother to look/where would it be advertised.
I have never received an offer - nor actively solicited one.

I'm usually on the JFK-ORY flight which is two cabin. Sorry for 500 its not worth it on AA/BA, but I would pay for it on AF. Or LX for that matter!
Well, SFO-CDG offer I had was $2700, would surely expect something like $1500 at minimum on JFK-CDG (think someone posted $2000).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Based on this logic, it might make sense not to put in frequent flyer numbers until the last minute.

By the way other airlines do this too. Offer teaser upgrades then price rises. Y travellers might benefit from this.

Personally I don't care about Y or W —> J, more interested in J—> F . F is not usually within my means or travel policy, and there is no easy way to redeem AF F. Well there is a way, but I have better things to do with my time.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:22 pm

Based on this logic, it might make sense not to put in frequent flyer numbers until the last minute.

By the way other airlines do this too. Offer teaser upgrades then price rises. Y travellers might benefit from this.

Personally I don't care about Y or W —> J, more interested in J—> F . F is not usually within my means or travel policy, and there is no easy way to redeem AF F. Well there is a way, but I have better things to do with my time.
Don't think that matters on AF nowadays, since the pricing is dynamic and exorbitant one way or another. Nevertheless, even in the old system, the pricing was still around $1500+ (definitely not in Y->J upgrade pricing range, like $500).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
CDG-JNB for 90 k on a regular basis. Except when less than 24h before departure when it gets ridiculously high.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:12 pm

Another data point. IAD to CDG Flight 55/4081 on A380 on Friday, August 17th. Booked three tickets in economy V class. No status/miles. At T-30 on the manage booking screen on AirFrance website offered $400/pp to upgrade to premium economy (no option to upgrade to business class). Didn’t take and checked in. When finishing check-in was offered $613/pp to upgrade to business class. I accepted, but reassigned just for one ticket/seat, and moved my wife’s seat to business (60F), and remained in economy with our 4 year old.

I found this process unexpected in that I didn’t receive an offer until the end of checking in, and I could just upgrade one person (a happy wife). Best part from my perspective was they didn’t reassign my wife’s seat and my 4 year old could lay flat and sleep for the flight.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Here’s my data point from this week:

MSP-CDG Tuesday 8/21, booked in Premium Economy. No upgrade offers at time of OLCI but then upgrades were sold at the gate. These sales at the gate happen fairly frequently at MSP and when available they’re announced in the Sky Club as well as at the gate. The PE to Business upgrade offer was $319, which I took.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Here’s my data point from this week:

MSP-CDG Tuesday 8/21, booked in Premium Economy. No upgrade offers at time of OLCI but then upgrades were sold at the gate. These sales at the gate happen fairly frequently at MSP and when available they’re announced in the Sky Club as well as at the gate. The PE to Business upgrade offer was $319, which I took.
Good price indeed. Yes, at the F/G SkyClub in MSP, I often see the AF sign on the counter to advertise paid upgrades.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: EB Silver, Bonvoy Gold
Thumbs down

Got an offer (mobile check-in) on Aug 10 for my IAD - CDG late evening flight from PE to C for US$ 425.- I rejected and later regretted not having accepted as PE was far away from beeing comfortable for a red-eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.