Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does AF bus passengers to the plane at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Why does AF bus passengers to the plane at CDG

Flew AF 144 from CDG to ORD yesterday. This was my first flight from CDG in over 15 years. I was surprised that we had to take a long bus ride from gate K48 to our A330 parked on the other side of the AF terminals.
Why do they do this? I didn't bother to look to see if K48 had a jetway, but I assumed it did.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by robertjw
Why do they do this?
very simple : because not enough gates !
Note that the number of bus boarding has been drastically reduced since opening of the different 2E satellites.
And bus boarding is very common outside the US.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For the exact same reasons that you get bus gates with BA at LHR, with LH at FRA, with LX at ZRH, with QR at DOH, etc.

One key reason, as Goldorak mentions is the lack of available gates at some peak times. Another (though unlikely with a 330) is because some rotations arrive from a Schengen flight to leave for a non-Schengen destination or the other way round. In such cases, it makes most sense to bus either departure or arrival pax rather than moving the plane across terminals.

A third reason is very occasionally, if there has been a security alert on a given flight even considered non-credible (which passengers may never hear about), the plane will always be parked at a remote gate for safety reasons.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
For long haul, there are about 8 remote bus positions at what is called “aire hotel” (where the temporary 2E gates were when Concourse K collapsed after it’s construction back 12-13 years ago). Normally no A380 there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.