Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG - BOG - Eco or PE (on AF's A340-300)?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 2:26 pm

I did the same trip two weeks ago in PE and I found the recline angle of the seat to be a big problem when trying to sleep. Legroom was pretty much ok though, and a bigger table came in handy since I had work to do.

That said, I had a look at Eco and it didn't look too promising either. As other just said, the IFE screen is really small and the cabin looks very outdated. Also in a Saturday evening the BOG-CDG flight was totally packed, which can offset the lack of recline in PE. I can't compare the meals but in PE I was overall satisfied.

All in all, I would rather pay 1200 EUR for AF PE than 1000 EUR for AF Y. But I would not pay these 1200 EUR for AF PE if the other option is 600 EUR for LH Y.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
I decided to give the PE a try and booked it for September - for several reasons:
- Eventually the direct flight with AF Y from CDG and AF W from Germany via CDG had rougly the same price at around 950€ (plus one positioning flight for the latter on top) - a little cheaper than what I originally said due to playing around with dates.
- I was able to book the return flight to Germany two days later so I can (hopefully) short-check my luggage.
- I am collecting much more miles and more importantly in my main program where I have some benefits as FB Gold.

Currently the cheapest alternative with my dates and reasonable flight times (no thanks to 30h+ with AC) is at 800€ with AA or LH where I have to fly all segments and collect miles in the "wrong" program. So in summary I am confident to have made the right decision for me.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I am crossing my fingers the red-eye on the way back will not be as bad as the ratings say, especially regarding the seat

Speaking of the seat: I want to sit at the window and hence chose 16K. Also available would be 15A, 15K and 16A to BOG and the same except for 15A back to CDG. Any suggestions, maybe also to which side to sit on to get a nice view when flying to Bogotá?

Cheers, HeartFist

Last edited by HeartFist; May 13, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old May 15, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by HeartFist

Speaking of the seat: I want to sit at the window and hence chose 16K. Also available would be 15A, 15K and 16A to BOG and the same except for 15A back to CDG. Any suggestions, maybe also to which side to sit on to get a nice view when flying to Bogotá?

Cheers, HeartFist
I'm 5'11 and I've often found that sitting in the first row makes it unconfortable for me, as my feet have to rest against the bulkhead wall, whereas in the seat rows behind they will be "free" underneath the seat in front.

As far as I remember, you dont get spectacular views when flying into BOG from either side, but I may be wrong.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:20 pm

Landings at BOG take place on direction 13 so coming from France you may increase your chances by taking one of the A seats. Unfortunately I had a D seat so couldn't check by myself. At least I can confirm that the pax to my left were indeed looking out the window
Old May 16, 2017, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Milkman
I'm 5'11 and I've often found that sitting in the first row makes it unconfortable for me, as my feet have to rest against the bulkhead wall, whereas in the seat rows behind they will be "free" underneath the seat in front.
Bulkhead in this particular plane (A343) would be row 14 which is already booked. It only has three rows 14-16.

Originally Posted by WY114
Landings at BOG take place on direction 13 so coming from France you may increase your chances by taking one of the A seats. Unfortunately I had a D seat so couldn't check by myself. At least I can confirm that the pax to my left were indeed looking out the window
Thanks, I am crossing my fingers and changed the seat to 16A for the inbound flight. Outbound I left at 16K for the time being.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Received via mail well before Check-In for my flight CDG-BOG an "Exclusive Upgrade Offer":

W --> C 349 EUR

I will not take it, I guess, since it's a day flight and I will not be sleeping anyways. However for the return flight I would seriously consider it. Knowing that with starts from Bogota AF will not fill the plane completely due to weight restrictions I assume the chances are lower to get a paid Business upgrade.

What is your best guess for the return flight?

I have also never used the "Offre Decouverte" so maybe this could be an option (or I rather wait for any other long distance Y flight to use it instead of asking for it on a W flight).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:20 am

I will not take it, I guess, since it's a day flight and I will not be sleeping anyways. However for the return flight I would seriously consider it. Knowing that with starts from Bogota AF will not fill the plane completely due to weight restrictions I assume the chances are lower to get a paid Business upgrade.

What is your best guess for the return flight?
You don't need to care about how full the plane is, only about how full W & J are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.