Wiki Posts
Search

sticky situation w baggage one-stop

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

sticky situation w baggage one-stop

Hi all,

Have a sticky situation, wanted to see if anyone has any advice.

We're flying MRU-CDG-BUD next week. Originally, we were planning on checking luggage but realized that we have 7 hours in Paris and want to meet up with friends briefly. We would love to be able to (1) carry gifts in luggage for friends and (2) carry bulky winter clothes in luggage, but this would require us to ask at the MRU checkin to check our bags only to CDG and that we will recheck them for CDG-BUD. But I've heard that due to people buying fake 1-stop tickets and getting off at the midpoint, that airlines don't allow this and will force your bags to BUD directly. I've also heard that AF charges for this. Don't know if either is true.

What can I do? Can I request in MRU for bags to go to CDG first and that we would recheck them? If it makes any difference, the tickets were bought through a third-party site through Air Mauritius ticket # for flights operated by Air France (I believe this means we'll be dealing with Air France at the airports but Air Mauritius online before flights).

Thank you!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
For the reasons you explained, you won't be able to check your bags just to CDG. You have nothing to loose to ask, but there is 99% chance that the answer is no. So I'm afraid you have no other choice to keep your presents with you in carry-on. The best is maybe to ask your friends to come to CDG and so you meet them landside?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
For the reasons you explained, you won't be able to check your bags just to CDG. You have nothing to loose to ask, but there is 99% chance that the answer is no. So I'm afraid you have no other choice to keep your presents with you in carry-on. The best is maybe to ask your friends to come to CDG and so you meet them landside?
While I agree with you in general, I'd say with a 7 hours layover you have a valid reason to ask to get your bags. You could also buy things in Paris which you want to put into the bag. I never had a problem shortckecking to CDG with an overnight stay. I know that's not the same as a long stay during the day, but the time you stay in Paris does influence if you can shortcheck or not.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
+1. Ask but expect a 'no'. Overnight stays are indeed different.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
How bulky are the gifts?

Carry the gifts in your carry-on; fly in appropriate clothing for CDG/BUD and pack a sweater with the gifts in your carry-on and hand carry your winter coat.

A 7-hour stopover won't allow you to short-check luggage unless you meet an accommodating check-in agent.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I had big issues to short-check a bag in BKK with an overnight layover, so while it does not hurt to try, I wish you good luck with that.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
How about if you check 2 bags, and ask them to short-check one? That kind of 'proves' that you are not trying to trick the system, while still being able to check the gifts.

The main problem is that you will never know for sure until you are actually at the airport. Which makes it very difficult to pack in an efficient way..
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful replies!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is the problem. Short-checking on a connection is not permitted other than overnight where it is not permitted. Thus, you must always plan on having the bags checked through and cannot know until check-in that you will be granted an exception.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This is the problem. Short-checking on a connection is not permitted other than overnight where it is not permitted. Thus, you must always plan on having the bags checked through and cannot know until check-in that you will be granted an exception.
And it depends on origin.
This is an Air Mauritius ticket. Check-in agents will probably be MK employees. MK might have some specific policy/tradition, even though this is operated by AF metal. They certainly can physically short check if they wish too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.