Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row Waist Size

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Exit Row Waist Size

I was just selecting seats for an upcoming AF flights and I got the pop-up to agree to the conditions of an exit row seat. One of the listed conditions is a waist size that does not exceed 135 cm/53 inches. Never seen that sort of thing before but it makes sense ( I fit).
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
May be related to the fact that some exit rows have the tray table in the armrest, which makes the seat about an inch less wide than a regular seat.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I've never seen any other airline that actually published a criteria for what is otherwise referred to as "person of size".
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:33 pm

I believe I've seen this before. Has more to do with seat belt extenders which could become a tripping hazard - not something you want during an emergency.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I think the 53 inch figure has more to do with the seatbelt. I don't think someone with a 53" waistline would actually fit in the seat. (Data point: I have a 48 inch waistline, I can just fit into an economy seat, the seat belt fits fine, and I don't encroach upon my neighbor's space, but it makes me feel claustrophobic so I try to book/upgrade to premium cabin when I'm able to)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Indeed, even with my 32" I feel confined in an exit row seat with tray table in the armrest. Okay, not a squeeze, but I understand there are limitations and I reckon that 53" is a horrific squeeze to get into them!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by GatorNation
I believe I've seen this before. Has more to do with seat belt extenders which could become a tripping hazard - not something you want during an emergency.
I've seen someone get removed from the exit row after requesting an extender. This was on Delta I believe.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I've seen someone get removed from the exit row after requesting an extender. This was on Delta I believe.
I've also seen it on various airlines, but they've been permitted to return to their seat after take-off.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by cayohueso
I was just selecting seats for an upcoming AF flights and I got the pop-up to agree to the conditions of an exit row seat. One of the listed conditions is a waist size that does not exceed 135 cm/53 inches. Never seen that sort of thing before but it makes sense ( I fit).
It certainly does make sense: there is nothing more awful than sitting in the middle of an exit row on a longhaul flight with two "big-boned" passengers either side of you.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
It certainly does make sense: there is nothing more awful than sitting in the middle of an exit row on a longhaul flight with two "big-boned" passengers either side of you.
Does it really make a big difference if it is in the exit row or any other row?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Ditto
Does it really make a big difference if it is in the exit row or any other row?
In my experience it does, because the fat tends to get squeezed by the narrower width and forced to spill over into the neighbor's personal space.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
As someone with the waist size 40, I've done a fair share of flying in AF's exit rows (both long-haul and short-haul), and I've never had any problem with the seat width; nor did I ever experience an appreciable decrease in comfort as a result of the immovable armrests.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I just find it interesting that, contrary to every other airline that I know of, AF actually comes out and puts it in writing. Kind of like the signs for scary rides at Disney World, you must be this narrow to sit here. A standard like this for all seats would make things much better for all concerned.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that the FAA defines a minimum door size and I wonder if the issue might be the size of the emergency exit door and whether a person with a 53" waist could efficiently exit through it.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/25.807
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
I see that the FAA defines a minimum door size and I wonder if the issue might be the size of the emergency exit door and whether a person with a 53" waist could efficiently exit through it.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/25.807
But if he won't, would it make a difference if he is seated in the emergency exit row or in the one behind it?
I'm not sure what size are the doors on AF equipment, but if someone can fit in an economy seat he can also exit through those doors, they are not that small...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.