Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 minute connection at CDG - is this even possible?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

50 minute connection at CDG - is this even possible?

Hi all - first post here, I'm hoping someone can help me. Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions below, I'm a very infrequent flyer compared to some here!

My boyfriend and I are planning on taking a trip to Nuremberg in September (we haven't booked flights yet), and the cheapest option for the outbound flight that I've found is GLA-CDG-NUE with Air France, leaving Glasgow at 09:00 and arriving in Nuremberg at 14:05. Unfortunately this flight has a 50 minute connection at CDG - I'd be nervous about that in any airport, but from what I remember of CDG I'm not sure if it will actually be possible to make the connection.

However, I haven't been to CDG for some time - I think the last time was connecting to a flight to Montreal (starting in either Glasgow or Edinburgh) about 6 years ago. Is connecting between two European flights going to be easier than connecting to a long-haul flight?

Also, if (when?) we did miss the connection, what would happen? There do seem to be CDG-NUE flights later in the day, but they're more expensive.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk Fernweh
This connection is non-Schengen to Schengen, from terminal 2E to 2G (so it means a bus connection). It is feasible but tight, without room for problems (like late incoming aircraft). But, if you book it, and miss the connection, AF will rebook you for free on the next available flight.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Welcome to Flyertalk Fernweh
This connection is non-Schengen to Schengen, from terminal 2E to 2G (so it means a bus connection). It is feasible but tight, without room for problems (like late incoming aircraft). But, if you book it, and miss the connection, AF will rebook you for free on the next available flight.
Thanks Goldorak. Glad to hear it's feasible at least. Good to know we'll be rebooked if we miss the connection as well. Does that still apply if the flight is on time, but we miss the connection because security at CDG takes too long? I'm assuming we will have to go through security given that it's non-Schengen to Schengen.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Fernweh
Does that still apply if the flight is on time, but we miss the connection because security at CDG takes too long? I'm assuming we will have to go through security given that it's non-Schengen to Schengen.
Yes.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Ok great, thanks again.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just to clarify, this would be two AF flights on the same ticket/PNR, right?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just to clarify, this would be two AF flights on the same ticket/PNR, right?
Yes, it would all be on one ticket. It's a Mini fare if that makes any difference.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
it doesn't - you'll still be protected, although I thought AF didn't sell MiNi on connecting itineraries?

That said, i'm less optimistic than Goldorak in the sense that I think it is borderline impossible as a connection, so while you will be taken to NUE expect that there is at least a 50% chance that it will be ultimately be on that next flight unless flight no1 is early.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
it doesn't - you'll still be protected, although I thought AF didn't sell MiNi on connecting itineraries?
That's good, thanks. I've just double-checked and it definitely says it's a MiNi fare on the Air France website, so maybe it's a recent thing?

That said, i'm less optimistic than Goldorak in the sense that I think it is borderline impossible as a connection, so while you will be taken to NUE expect that there is at least a 50% chance that it will be ultimately be on that next flight unless flight no1 is early.
Ok - ultimately it's not the end of the world if we end up on the later flight, it would just be preferable to get there earlier if possible since we'll only have a few days in Nuremberg. I think the later flight gets in at about 6PM, as opposed to just after 2PM for the earlier one.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Fernweh
That's good, thanks. I've just double-checked and it definitely says it's a MiNi fare on the Air France website, so maybe it's a recent thing?

Ok - ultimately it's not the end of the world if we end up on the later flight, it would just be preferable to get there earlier if possible since we'll only have a few days in Nuremberg. I think the later flight gets in at about 6PM, as opposed to just after 2PM for the earlier one.
I would book it, nothing to lose!! I recommend pointing out the short connection time during your check-in and/or at the gate at GLA, in the hope that you will be moved to a seat closer to the front of the plane, which can genuinely make the difference between missing or making a connection like this.
I would say there is an 80% chance you will make your connection. If the passport control queue looks very long, you may want to try your luck asking an official (or passenger) if you can cut the line.
The short connection time also makes it liklier that luggage will not make it on - but if you're traveling only with carry-on that will not affect you.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
I would book it, nothing to lose!! I recommend pointing out the short connection time during your check-in and/or at the gate at GLA, in the hope that you will be moved to a seat closer to the front of the plane, which can genuinely make the difference between missing or making a connection like this.
I would say there is an 80% chance you will make your connection. If the passport control queue looks very long, you may want to try your luck asking an official (or passenger) if you can cut the line.
The short connection time also makes it liklier that luggage will not make it on - but if you're traveling only with carry-on that will not affect you.
Thanks HalconBCN. Good idea about sitting near the front - I normally choose seats near the back of the plane, but might make an exception in this case. I take it I need to wait until we get to the airport before choosing seats for this type of ticket, then? Whenever I've booked with KLM I've been able to choose seats straight away, but this will be my first time booking through the Air France website (previous Air France flights were for family holidays, so my parents sorted them).
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I would check in online anyway, choose whichever seat is available closest to the front and then ask again at the check in or gate if you can move up closer. Many times the rows behind business class have a bit of space. Smile and be nice, dress well, don't demand anything and accept it if there are no seats available...
The AF staff are just people like the rest of us, so if they feel empathy towards you they are more likely to help out.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:33 am

For you connection 50 minutes is more than enough because of the following.

1. You remain air side
2. You take a Bus on the Airside between Terminal 2E to 2G (Maximum time 10 minutes ( this is from when you leave the air craft to the bus reaching the Terminal 2G

3. Show you boarding pass and you will be allowed in the Sky priority lane if your plane is late for the security check (less than 30 minutes)

4. Passport control queue - if long you just to move to the front by asking politely

5. Terminal 2G is so small (less then five minutes from passport control to any gate for the young without having to run). For seniors 10 minutes

6. Flights in terminal 2G tend to wait for connecting passengers up to a limit

7. I have never missed a connection using 2G even with the plane arriving within 30 minutes of departure from 2E/2F
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Beersheva
For you connection 50 minutes is more than enough because of the following.
Welcome to Flyertalk Beersheva
Your post contains plenty of useful and true information for OP, but I would certainly not say that 50 min for a connection from 2E to 2G is "more than enough". It is feasible but tight.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone - I've finally managed to book the flights today, so I'll try and remember to report back once I've taken them to let you know if it worked out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.