Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Pass scanner at security: do they detect one pax going through twice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub

I witnessed the following conversation between two travelers approaching the Accès No. 1 lane at CDG 2F:

"With your boarding pass they won't let you into the fast lane. Here, take my printed boarding pass, it says Sky Priority, and I use the one on my phone to go through". The lady doing the checks at the entrance of the fast lane probably only checks if there is a red SkyPriority square on the printed boarding pass or a red line on the mobile boarding pass, but she doesn't read names. But what about the scanners that are just by the X ray machines and where they scan BPs at the moment pax put their stuff on the belt? The scanners at boarding gates obviously check against the pax list and detect any double boarding, but do the scanners at X ray machines also register who went through and if that same person for the same flight already passed through 10 seconds ago?

I think the scanners register it for some sort of "conformance" (which is not a public rule at CDG, but airlines seem to use it nevertheless), but not sure.

And in any case, it would have been easier to just "guest" that person without Sky Priority access. I have done that several times in the past, never a problem (it was with family members, maybe that made a difference).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
(...) And in any case, it would have been easier to just "guest" that person without Sky Priority access. I have done that several times in the past, never a problem (it was with family members, maybe that made a difference).
I have done it too, but AFAIK guesting is not a published perk, so we are at the mercy of a security employee who says "no".
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
The lady didn't scan it. You can't use other people's BP because your ID wont match the boarding pass.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
The lady didn't scan it. You can't use other people's BP because your ID wont match the boarding pass.
Huh? What match between what ID and the BP? Not sure what you talk about

EDIT: got it, I just saw that you are located in the USA. Well, in other parts of the world things sometimes work differently than in the US (shocking, but true). This thread is about Paris. There is no matching of ID and BP the same way the TSA does it when you enter security.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The scanners at boarding gates obviously check against the pax list and detect any double boarding, but do the scanners at X ray machines also register who went through and if that same person for the same flight already passed through 10 seconds ago?

I think the scanners register it for some sort of "conformance" (which is not a public rule at CDG, but airlines seem to use it nevertheless), but not sure.
I do not for sure either but I would, like you, suspect that they probably do check for duplicates.

Beside conformance, it could be used as a partial/soft security mechanism. That has been my experience at MAN several years ago (long before "conformance" was introduced at LHR), when I was still a smoker : my flight was delayed so I decided to go back out for a smoke. When attempting to re-enter airside, the BP reading machine rejected my BP as I was still airside as far as the system was concerned and the airport agent growled at me for having come back landside after having gone airside.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Well, in other parts of the world things sometimes work differently than in the US (shocking, but true).
Incredible things happen outside the US indeed. I remember a nice American lady expressing her surprise that "only foreign currency was accepted in the hotel " in Chile, so she had to change her US Dollars into Chilean Pesos.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Incredible things happen outside the US indeed. I remember a nice American lady expressing her surprise that "only foreign currency was accepted in the hotel " in Chile, so she had to change her US Dollars into Chilean Pesos.
Oh don't get me started...

A recent one was the guest from the US who thought it strange that the power sockets in the room of a hotel in Sydney (Australia) were all of the Australian variety, and even worse the hotel didn't have an adapter presumably for every other plug type in the world
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Incredible things happen outside the US indeed.
Incredible things happen inside the US too! Practically every day I meet new Europeans who apparently have never seen a street grid! "Where is 14th Street?" they ask me, standing under a street sign that says "15th Street" with "16th Street" clearly visible in the distance.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Many
FWIW Air China (Star Alliance) gave me a generic Acces n°1 voucher at CDG1 the other day when travelling with them. When you scan your BP the access is refused but when scanning the voucher you can enter as many times as you want and the machine displays this message "Manual access".

Then no problem at security or at the gate if your BP was not scanned.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by AJCNL
Oh don't get me started...

A recent one was the guest from the US who thought it strange that the power sockets in the room of a hotel in Sydney (Australia) were all of the Australian variety, and even worse the hotel didn't have an adapter presumably for every other plug type in the world
I certainly wouldn't be surprised by the fact that the power sockets were Australian standard but I would be surprised at a business hotel in Sydney not having universal adapters available, that can take the thee most common pin types, UK, USA, and Europe. I would expect the same in any business hotel that caters to a lot of foreign travelers (such as one would find in Sydney). Sure, you get into the hinterlands where foreign travelers are rare and I wouldn't expect it, but Sydney? Heck, they can build up their supply just with the adapters that people like me tend to leave behind by mistake, which is incidentally why I end up having to ask for one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.