Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

The day after the night before: how should AF regain passengers' trust post-strike?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The day after the night before: how should AF regain passengers' trust post-strike?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Not sure what you are referring to here? Do you have a link that spells this out? The previous link simply excludes I-class.
Just try to make a booking CDG to JFK return or CDG to HKG return. You will see fares in the Business and First column that are almost identical. But that can only apply to outbound or inbound. If you select F on the outbound then the business fare on the inbound remains low, but the F fare becomes very high and vice versa. Of course, Openskies does not have F, so that only applies to flights via LHR.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by brunos
Just try to make a booking CDG to JFK return or CDG to HKG return. You will see fares in the Business and First column that are almost identical. But that can only apply to outbound or inbound. If you select F on the outbound then the business fare on the inbound remains low, but the F fare becomes very high and vice versa. Of course, Openskies does not have F, so that only applies to flights via LHR.
OK, but that's just flexible pricing working in your favor. The pricing depends on the route and the serving market, load, etc. AF does the same type of pricing, even if it's not as obvious as BA on the website. You can get quite cheap pricing to Asia (try SIN) in P with AF when flying from DUS for example. I just tried your idea for a trip to LAX next month on ba.com and yes I see the outbound in F is only a couple hundred extra, but when I add the business class return the total price is €3,571 which is a whole lot more than I usually pay to LAX.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
AF does the same
I cannot help but think that some of these conversations sometimes have a Goodness Gracious Me "Indian!" feel to them?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
BA now only flies its New F; the old F is sold as J. I have flown it many times and I love it on 777 very much. It is not only the design and elegance of the new seats and it numerous gadgets and lamps. It is also the wonderful ambiance created by the Orient-express window shade. I find the ambiance and the seat very "exclusive". Yes the seat is less spacious than CX, SQ and many others (and probably the new AF F). But it is very modern, very comfortable, quite private, and the cabin has a great feel. Orbitmic, I agree that Old F was poor and aging (although the wines were superb and the food excellent). New F is more than a face lift, the new seat is much better (although still not wide enough, my only complain) and the overall cabin very attractive.
I'll admit to being really surprised that you like the food in BA F. I must admit that I did not find it good at all. I agree with you that the wines are very good and very significantly better than AF, although to be honest, some Asian and Middle Eastern airlines are a big notch above (in my experience, KE, SQ, or QR for instance).

Weirdly enough, I have actually never travelled in Old First so my comments were all about New First. And to clarify, when I said that BA have already announced that their new first cabin will just be a refresher of the current one, I did not mean NF vs OF, but the NNF vs NF (NNF being what will apparently be launched with the 789s, 781s, and A351-XBs).

But to be fair a comparison should be drawn between the current F products of both airlines.
Actually, I would say that both (current and planned) matter. But in any case, the AF new F is now "current" as, if I understand correctly, it has started flying to SIN and CGK in late September. By February over 1/4 of the 777 fleet will be equipped. I'll admit that one can't be fully sure indeed until one has flown it, but I think that there is a fair "presumption" that it looks way better than the old AF F (or for that matter BA NF).

That said, once again, I agree with you that the AF/BA F comparison is irrelevant here - what matters is everything else we are discussing: BA are very much "in the lead" in terms of premium traffic and are still trying really hard to have marketing offers that ensure people keep flying them. AF was already trailing, it took a further commercial punch in the face with the strike, and still, at this stage, it is doing absolutely nothing commercially to ensure people head for its pretty new premium seats! This is commercial nonsense in my view...
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by NickB
I cannot help but think that some of these conversations sometimes have a Goodness Gracious Me "Indian!" feel to them?
^^^

Fantastic...
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Wonderful
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
^^^ Fantastic...
Wonderful
+1!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

^^^ Fantastic...
Wonderful
+1!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:34 am
Original Poster

So far, very weak answer by AF, but let us still mention it to be comprehensive. Please everyone should feel free to say if I missed anything:

- Lots of letters - but rather than focusing on reconstructing (or at a minimum apology), the message seems to be a mix of "formal" apology and "so that you know, WE are right!";

- A video, which personally reminds me of those stuff they put on US airlines before the safety briefing to convince you that they are all one big team/pals within the airline. Reaction seemed to be quite positive although it didn't really do it for me I must say;

- A sale campaign in France. We are talking fares like €580 to NYC in cheapest most restrictive Y. Frankly underwhelming if you ask me. Similar (and similarly unappealing) campaign in the UK, maybe elsewhere;

- Bluebiz UK (not sure about every country) have announced that they would extend the validity of the miles due to expire on 31/12/2014 till 31/3/2015.

To me this is both unimaginative and grossly insufficient.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by orbitmic
So far, very weak answer by AF, but let us still mention it to be comprehensive. Please everyone should feel free to say if I missed anything:

- Lots of letters - but rather than focusing on reconstructing (or at a minimum apology), the message seems to be a mix of "formal" apology and "so that you know, WE are right!";

- A video, which personally reminds me of those stuff they put on US airlines before the safety briefing to convince you that they are all one big team/pals within the airline. Reaction seemed to be quite positive although it didn't really do it for me I must say;

- A sale campaign in France. We are talking fares like €580 to NYC in cheapest most restrictive Y. Frankly underwhelming if you ask me. Similar (and similarly unappealing) campaign in the UK, maybe elsewhere;

- Bluebiz UK (not sure about every country) have announced that they would extend the validity of the miles due to expire on 31/12/2014 till 31/3/2015.

How much financial firing power do they have to start fancy campaigns given that the strike has hit their bottom line by EUR 500 million? Not a lot
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

How much financial firing power do they have to start fancy campaigns given that the strike has hit their bottom line by EUR 500 million? Not a lot
But how much more can they afford to lose by not having such campaigns and letting bookings slip further? (Already -2pts already!)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic

To repeat what I said in another thread, my friends in HK, just like me, never received any email from AF apologizing or explaining the situation. the only one we got, and we guess that it is an IT mistake is:

SUBJECT:
"welcome back on our flights!"

TEXT (I skip the pictures):
Enjoy different options to customize your travel
Air France Options for your trip
A la Carte Menus A la Carte Menus A la Carte Menus
Want to enjoy a taste of fine cuisine during your flight?

On long-haul flights in the Premium Economy and Economy cabins, Air France offers you the choice of a traditional meal served daily or one of our 4 "A la Carte" meals.

A la Carte: the choice is yours !

- Traditional meal: A voyage into the heart of French cuisine from 18€
- "Une Sélection LENÔTRE" meal: An exclusive meal from the famed Maison LENÔTRE from 28€
- Italia menu: A little bit of la "Dolce Vita" from 12€
- Ocean menu: A tide of fresh flavors from 15€
BOOK YOUR MENU

No attempt for damage control. It might be tough to quickly prepare a fare promotion, but now that some not-so-great promotion is ongoing, why don't they at least promote their not-so-great promotion. Emails are cheap, the database is available.
Sure, they might wish to wait for a full resolution of their problem and a formal plan approved by unions. But the strike ended over a week ago and still no communication (at least on this side of the world). Sure I do not have any bookings with AF but, two weeks ago, I had to book many trips within Europe for the next few days and you can guess which airline I did not pick. Personally, I do not care but it is sad to see how unresponsive and undynamic AF is.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found one of the bugs.
AF sent me the "Presidents' message 30 September" on an old mailbox. I updated my email seven years ago when I moved to Hong Kong and the new email shows on my profile. I have also periodically received email offers from AF HK on my "new" email. Why/how AF IT digs that outdated mailbox to send some messages (I found a few) remains a mystery. AF IT as good as ever.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I finally got an email today ay my current mailbox dvising me of sales (actually twice the same one). the funny part is that it says:
Ready?
Patience, in a few days you will be able to book your next holiday at crazy prices.
Start to choose your destination!
OUR OFFERS

But it links to offer valid from 16 Sept to 15 October, so that will expire tomorrow. I hope that the new one will be considerably better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.