Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French domestic, A class: lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

French domestic, A class: lounge access?

I cannot find clear information on this issue on the Air France web site, or elsewhere.

We have domestic legs within France, booked in A booking code/class.

A class appears to be sold as flexible Economy, but is also referred as Premium Economy.

When looking at lounge access, they say that for flights within Europe, premiun Economy provides lounge access. However, it always appears that the divide France, Europe and Intercontinental, so it is not clear to me whether "within Europe includes "within France..."
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
What's your itinerary?

Normally, you should not get lounge access on a pure domestic itinerary if you do not have status. Note that even Premium Economy within Europe does not give free lounge access except ex-CDG (except terminal 2G) and AMS (and long haul PE never).
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
What's your itinerary?

Normally, you should not get lounge access on a pure domestic itinerary if you do not have status. Note that even Premium Economy within Europe does not give free lounge access except ex-CDG (except terminal 2G) and AMS (and long haul PE never).
CDG Terminal 2F, arriving from Canada, continuing to BOD.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Perhaps, on arrival at CDG, but I would not count on it for BOD. AF is really strict about lounge access for non-elite passengers. IIRC you need to be at least Silver to be able to even buy access.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by Stranger
I cannot find clear information on this issue on the Air France web site, or elsewhere..."
The rule:
The customers have access regardless the class in which they travel and regardless the fare paid.
- AF: Business Class and Premium Economy Medium-Haul (access to lounges in Paris CDG2, Orly West - Hall 3 and Amsterdam)
- AM: Classe Premier
- AZ: Magnifica and Prima Business Class
- DL: Business Elite
- KE: First Class, Prestige Class
- OK: Business Class
- SU, KL: Business Class Passenger
- CZ: Business Class

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...07_12_11_16_58

Last edited by delanotre; Jul 12, 2014 at 3:35 am
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by delanotre
The rule:
The customers have access regardless the class in which they travel and regardless the fare paid.
- AF: Business Class and Premium Economy Medium-Haul (access to lounges in Paris CDG2, Orly West - Hall 3 and Amsterdam)
- AM: Classe Premier
- AZ: Magnifica and Prima Business Class
- DL: Business Elite
- KE: First Class, Prestige Class
- OK: Business Class
- SU, KL: Business Class Passenger
- CZ: Business Class

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...07_12_11_16_58
You say it as if the meaning is obvious, but that might not be that clear to people not fully versed in AF's own little idiosyncratic language , ie:
- "medium haul" = from France to (non-French) European destinations + Israel, Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria
- "short haul" = domestic
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes but that might not be that clear ...
yes, you are right.
I just search on AF website and I discover, in french (pas sympa pour les non francophones), below the english text:

Premium Economy
You can take advantage of free entry to AIR FRANCE and KLM lounges at Paris-Charles de Gaulle* (except La Première lounge and the lounge located in Terminal 2G) and Amsterdam-Schiphol airports.
Subject to availability, you can also purchase entry to lounges in Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart and Zurich. The entry fee for these lounges is €25.

* Sauf si vous êtes en correspondance pour un vol en France métropolitaine.

Nevertheless, I think it is ok for access in Orly
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:08 am

yes, you are right.
I just search on AF website and I discover, in french (pas sympa pour les non francophones), below the english text:

Premium Economy
You can take advantage of free entry to AIR FRANCE and KLM lounges at Paris-Charles de Gaulle* (except La Première lounge and the lounge located in Terminal 2G) and Amsterdam-Schiphol airports.
Subject to availability, you can also purchase entry to lounges in Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart and Zurich. The entry fee for these lounges is €25.

Nevertheless, I think it is ok for access in Orly
Yes I agree with you, I would expect that people would probably be let in in the "patio" lounge at ORY. Again, some may even be at CDG if the lounge attendants make a mistake although technically they should not. But mostly, as you point out, it is just really odd how AF still has multiple cases were the French and English texts say "almost" but not quite the same thing, and I think it can be misleading to people not used to flying AF.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's the qualification that I had missed.

Oh well, no time for a shower at CDG then.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:50 am

...no time for a shower at CDG then.
You may try to access, perhaps a surprise...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is quite unpleasant to see how difficult it is to interpret AF rules and information posted on their websites, including some discrepancies between the French and English versions.

The thred on interlining is another example. Until July 2014, it was supposed to be well known that AF was interlining on separate PNRs, but their rules seemed to say the opposite.
No wonder that different agents interpret the rules in different ways. Plus, agents semm to have the discretion to bend the rules at will, making exceptions for some pax. I would much prefer to have clear rules that are enforced, rather having bad suprises depending on the mood of the agent and whether he/she likes you.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
It is quite unpleasant to see how difficult it is to interpret AF rules and information posted on their websites, including some discrepancies between the French and English versions.
In this instance, I don't see any discrepancy..

Just that the text under the asterisk is also in French in the English web page.

(As quoted by orbitmic in Article no. 6, above.)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
In this instance, I don't see any discrepancy..

Just that the text under the asterisk is also in French in the English web page.

(As quoted by orbitmic in Article no. 6, above.)
This is the kind of problems typical of AF websites. The English translation is sometimes in poor English creating some confusion, outdated (while French one is updated), or inaccurate.
The example you point out is an illustration. Let's for a moment assume that you are Asian flying HKG-CDG-NCE in PE and do not speak French. You see in big letter that you have access to CDG lounge as premium economy pax and some footnote in small letters impossible to understand as it is in French. As far as I know, CDG and NCE are part of Europe, so CDG-NCE is a European flight.

Note that the next footnote on that webpage is in English, but not this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.