Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France flight, diverted from BEY to AMM[, has landed at LCA]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sorry, I think my A320 example was put unclearly. I should have said 'even an A320 has a flight range...'. In short, I wholeheartedly agree with San Gottardo's and bruno's conclusion that there must have been some gross miscalculation of fuel supply. That a plane capable of flying CDG-GIG is forced to land into DAM after a mere CDG-BEY is simply not on. I also DO think that there was an actual risk that once in DAM the plane and passengers might (unlikely but possible) have been in genuine danger.

PS: The fact that AF managed to raise about €17,000 in cash after a couple of rows amazes the guy (me) who typically finds himself with a mere €2 in his pocket! I thought only Russian millionaires tended to walk about with handfuls of banknotes in their wallet but it seems that Lebanese millionaires (or perhaps all millionaires ) do too!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
These numbers are for a direct line "as the crow flies" but do not at all correspond to the distance the plane has to travel. Whereas BEY-LCA can be flown more or less directly, the route to Damascus goes over the Mediterranean on a Northern heading along the Lebanese and Syrian coast to Latakia, then turning right over Syria proper, South to Damascus, and - if relevant - onto Amman. So Amman and Damascus are much further than Larnaca, and further than the numbers you quote may make believe.
Indeed, but I thought more direct routes could be used when the alternative is crashing the plane (in the sea or on the ground). I was quoting these to illustrate why I disbelieve the "crash landing" theory, even if AF had grossly miscalculated its reserve fuel.

I have a hunch that one concern of Air France's operating center back in Paris was that the crew would not be able to reach its crew hotel which is several kilometers from the airport.

[*]The story with landing in the sea was a little unclear. I thought until today that it was complete bogus. But indeed what had really happened that some passengers in the bulkhead seats (the one I spoke to was sitting in the second Affaires cabin's first row) were asked "to hold back all passengers until the slides were fully deployed". What I did not really get from their explanations was where this happened and why. Was it really in preparation for a landing on water? Or for a possible "crash landing" because of not enough fuel? Did the crew really consider it? The pax couldn't tell
Maybe some procedure require proper information to be given to pax near the emergency exit in some case maybe they really considered it... I still think it's unlikely it was considered, unless you can confirm that direct routes aren't allowed and planes must stick to a few choices even if the alternative is having the airplane crash.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:52 pm
q

Window blinds had to be lowered ... standard procedure? Did they hear the usual announcement "do not fasten your seat belts during refueling"?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Watching the same movie on "France 4"
http://www.electronlibre.info/IMG/jpg/nielsen.jpg
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by q
Window blinds had to be lowered ... standard procedure? Did they hear the usual announcement "do not fasten your seat belts during refueling"?
Standard procedure on aerodromes where the outside temperature is very high (Las Vegas and airports in the Persian Gulf are well-known ones). And apparently also when a plane lands in a possibly hostile place.

Indeed they had that announcement. One of the pax I spoke to mentioned it because he found it "funny they should say that" (he obviously didn't know about that vein standard procedure during refuelling)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Standard procedure on aerodromes where the outside temperature is very high (Las Vegas and airports in the Persian Gulf are well-known ones). And apparently also when a plane lands in a possibly hostile place.

Indeed they had that announcement. One of the pax I spoke to mentioned it because he found it "funny they should say that" (he obviously didn't know about that vein standard procedure during refuelling)
Did any of your contacts indicate whether some military boarded the plane or whether some people disembarked? Airport staff must have gone to talk to the captain, but did anyone "pace" the plane?

Whatever the rules, I still remember that soldiers armed with machine guns used to walk in the plane during Lagos stopovers many years ago. And F pax were worried that their seats be taken by VIPs boarding in Nigeria. No way you ncould argue with a machine gun in your stomach.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
Originally Posted by brunos
Whatever the rules, I still remember that soldiers armed with machine guns used to walk in the plane during Lagos stopovers many years ago. And F pax were worried that their seats be taken by VIPs boarding in Nigeria. No way you ncould argue with a machine gun in your stomach.
Well it seems AF found the solution in a typical AF way : they removed F class from this route
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:48 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Source: Le Nouvel Observateur

Originally Posted by Le Nouvel Observateur
En fait, l'enchaînement des événements n'a pas laissé le choix au commandant de bord, a indiqué la compagnie, rappelant qu'elle était "en contact permanent avec la cellule de crise du ministère des Affaires étrangères tout au long du vol".

Alors que l'A330 d'Air France approchait de Beyrouth, la situation s'est rapidement détériorée. La route de l'aéroport, sur laquelle des milliers d'enlèvements ont eu lieu pendant la guerre civile (1975-1990) était coupée par des hommes en armes.

Air France a donc décidé de dérouter l'appareil sur Amman, en traversant l'espace aérien syrien. Amman est l'aérodrome de dégagement prévu lorsque Beyrouth n'est pas disponible.

La capitale jordanienne est une destination régulière d'Air France, qui y dispose d'une équipe en permanence. En revanche, elle ne dessert pas Larnaca, a souligné le directeur de permanence à Air France, Pierre Caussade.

Mais l'équipage n'a pas obtenu du contrôleur aérien syrien la trajectoire qu'il escomptait. "Le contrôleur lui a même demandé de changer de cap à 270°, au lieu de faire simplement un virage à 90°... L'équipage s'est retrouvé en situation d'urgence, avec assez de carburant pour se poser à Damas. On n'en avait plus assez pour aller à Amman". A ce moment là, il n'en avait pas non plus assez pour rallier Larnaca.
Some additional details from Air France:
  • [*]
  • [*]

Last edited by JOUY31; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Source: Le Nouvel Observateur

Some additional details from Air France:
  • [*]
  • [*]
So now, things become a bit clearer. No mention of willing to go through Israeli airspace but through Syrian one which was refused. This makes much more sense to me and I would be really interested to know how much AF paid their Damascus fuel as compared to real price, in other words, whether we are talking of a fair refuelling or of a form of disguised 'ransom'.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I would be really interested to know how much AF paid their Damascus fuel as compared to real price, in other words, whether we are talking of a fair refuelling or of a form of disguised 'ransom'.
I'm sure this was at a very high price, justifying an additional YQ fuel surcharge for the pax of this flight
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
An unexpected bonus for several airport officials, especially the ATC officer on duty, happiness for their families in a country crippled by economic sanctions, and a nice commission for the honorable correspondant who will remain unnamed ...

It looks like the flight crew were, both literally and figuratively, taken for a ride by Syrian ATC. What a cute, effective, damascene way of acquiring business!

Last edited by JOUY31; Aug 21, 2012 at 8:35 am
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Must have been very upsetting if the French Ambassador to Lebanon arrived after the Foreign Affairs Minister. But he visited Damascus which Fabius has not done
The bureaucrats in Paris ("cellule de crise") must have gotten quite agitated.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:04 am

An unexpected bonus for several airport officials, especially the ATC officer on duty, happiness for their families in a country crippled by economic sanctions, and a nice commission for the honorable correspondant who will remain unnamed ...

It looks like the flight crew were, both literally and figuratively, taken for a ride by Syrian ATC. What an effective, damascene way of acquiring business!
So it will be 5000 for the fuel, 7000 for the 'taxe anti-delocalisation' and 12000 administrative charge to cover the risk of depression of our immigration agents for denying them the right to check if the passengers have got a valid 'petrol-transit' visa... We accept all major currencies but the fees do not include tips and tolls...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold

It looks like the flight crew were, both literally and figuratively, taken for a ride by Syrian ATC. What a cute, effective, damascene way of acquiring business!
I'd like to hear the Syrian version before condemning them outright. Indeed, they apparently refused the most direct route to Amman, but an article in Pros du Tourisme today said the aircraft didn't declare a fuel emergency but avoided the risk of a low fuel situation that by landing in DAM. Is there a way to check that claim?

If it's true, you can't blame Syrian ATC not to grant the most direct route, and it makes the flight situation more understandable (how could they be out of fuel 15-20 minutes after their scheduled landing time in BEY? We're not speaking of Ryan Air here... If they just wanting to refuel before sending a mayday call, I'd understand that better).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Richelieu

I'd like to hear the Syrian version before condemning them outright. Indeed, they apparently refused the most direct route to Amman, but an article in Pros du Tourisme today said the aircraft didn't declare a fuel emergency but avoided the risk of a low fuel situation that by landing in DAM. Is there a way to check that claim?
To go by what I pieced together from various forums it seems that indeed the plane did not make an emergency landing in DAM but landed there to avoid being in an emergency situation later on in the flight, which was not to be excluded given the "behaviour" of Syrian ATC up to that point.

Originally Posted by Richelieu
If it's true, you can't blame Syrian ATC not to grant the most direct route, and it makes the flight situation more understandable (how could they be out of fuel 15-20 minutes after their scheduled landing time in BEY? We're not speaking of Ryan Air here... If they just wanting to refuel before sending a mayday call, I'd understand that better).
The moment they had declared an emergency they would not have gotten a direct route to Amman, but to the nearest airport - which also happened to be Damascus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.