"Exceptional upgrade offer" Affaires -> La Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
"Exceptional upgrade offer" Affaires -> La Premiere

Hi all,

I have a ticket YUL-GVA through CDG round-trip. Just received this email today:

Air France is pleased to offer you a special upgrade offer: travel in the La Première cabin and benefit
from exclusive services. In flight and at the airport, you will enjoy a unique experience.

To take advantage of this offer, simply fill out the registration form. Please note that only a limited number of seats are available.

We will contact you within 5 days of your departure to inform you of whether we were able to fulfill your request.
The offer is 1000 EUR per person.

While I would like to try out AF First... and I did only pay 1999 CAD per person for the J ticket... What would you do?

As a reference, the availability:
P9 F9 J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 O0 W7 S7 A7 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q9 T9 E0 N9 R9 V0 X9 G0
Thank you!

Jan
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
If you value it for E1000 and can afford it, go for it.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
I would definitely go for it - it's a good value offer!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
i tried F quite a few times and would definitely try if it was cheaper otherwise it does not pay off

there is only a major difference in Paris pn the ground otherwise the C and F products on board do not differ that much

you get champagne in both classes - funnily enough they served last the same crackers in

both C and J (there is no dom perignon) there were also the C food options of main meal in the F which I found weird ( i discussed it with the purser)

there is more food choice and you can order some options before the flight ( i usually take the terminador)

your toiletries kit has some branded products ( i can t remember which ones)

they a have a fully flat seat and there are only 8 seats in F

the F experience in paris is stunning and the definitely the best in the world (eg better than F in TG, LH and THY) but you need more time to enjoy it - let s say 2 hours to try the michelin food and the stunning F lounge

all in all i would not spend 1000 euros for an upgrade unless you just wanted to treat yourself and have some fun

knowing them they wont offer F miles for the upgarded flight but it s worth checking though

bonne chance
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I surmise that all F seats are presently free. Judging by P9. A private cabin would be nice. And the total cost would be less than a normal Z ticket... Hmmm...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jlisi984
I surmise that all F seats are presently free. Judging by P9. A private cabin would be nice. And the total cost would be less than a normal Z ticket... Hmmm...
YUL-CDG is a short flight, so not "P-heavy", and add to this that it is summer time, so every airline have usually lighter loads in J and P during this period. Personally, I think this offer is a good deal. It's a way to fly P for a cheap price and, as said by Ambrogz, the ground service at CDG is excellent and the lounge...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I personally wouldn't. I just think it is too much by my personal book, but that's me.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:58 pm

I got a similar offer for my upcoming EDI-CDG-SIN-BNE. E1400 to upgrade to F.

Does anyone know if it would include all sectors? The SIN-BNE leg will be operated by QF.

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by danpwc
I got a similar offer for my upcoming EDI-CDG-SIN-BNE. E1400 to upgrade to F.

Does anyone know if it would include all sectors? The SIN-BNE leg will be operated by QF.

Thanks
Surely the email specifies that it only applies to CDG-SIN... your email should look something like this and should specify the flight(s) where mine shows CDG-IAD:

Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Surely the email specifies that it only applies to CDG-SIN... your email should look something like this and should specify the flight(s) where mine shows CDG-IAD:
So it does! Please forgive my lazy eyes.

I don't think it's worth it for E1400 really, I'll probably leave it

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by danpwc
I don't think it's worth it for E1400 really, I'll probably leave it
Well, for a very long (12-13 hrs) night flight like CDG-SIN, that's debatable. In addition, you'll likely be arriving by the last EDI flight arriving at 8:30 pm, so that gives you a nice private limo transfer to the 1st class lounge (to avoid these horrible bus transfers almost systematic for cityJet flights) and you'll have close to 3hrs to spend in the lounge, so enough time to have a wonderful dinner in the lounge
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
For 1000EUR you can treat yourself to the finest restaurants which will probably have better food and decor. But if you have the money maybe do both
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
There is so much more to the F traveling experience than basing the value on F lounge food versus paid food in a restaurant. I think it is a very subjective matter. Why would I pay 800 euros for a return to JFK in Y if I can get much better food in a restaurant for that money? Starts sounding very irrational that way, doesn't it?

Here are my 5 cents on the debate wether one should accept the offer or not.

The F upgrade offers are bragains compared to the normal ticket price. Add to that the fact that luxury is much better enjoyed when not thinking about the price too mcuh, and it starts sounding interesting. I took the offer recently and enjoyed the experience very much from beginning to end!

This, however, should not be a reason to accept the offer for somebody else. If someone is not interested in luxury travel, or simply doesn't want to spend the money for it for whatever reason, better forget it.

I'd do it again, but each its own.

Last edited by Zembla; Jul 24, 2012 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
There is so much more to the F traveling experience than basing the value on F lounge food versus paid food in a restaurant. I think it is a very subjective matter. Why would I pay 800 euros for a return to JFK in Y if I can get much better food in a restaurant for that money? Starts sounding very irrational that way, doesn't it?

Here are my 5 cents on the debate wether one should accept the offer or not.

The F upgrade offers are bragains compared to the normal ticket price. Add to that the fact that luxury is much better enjoyed when not thinking about the price too mcuh, and it starts sounding interesting. I took the offer recently and enjoyed the experience very much from beginning to end!

This, however, should not be a reason to accept the offer for somebody else. If someone is not interested in luxury travel, or simply doesn't want to spend the money for it for whatever reason, better forget it.

I'd do it again, but each its own.
Happy to see that you find €1400 each way, so 2800 return, to SIN is a "bargain".
But note that the fare difference between Biz and F class on CX exCDG is usually less than 2800. So you can buy F class to Asia anytime without waiting for the random upgrade email. BTW the current return F fare to HKG is 4,911 compared to 2,736 in Biz. That is a true bargain.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by brunos
Happy to see that you find €1400 each way, so 2800 return, to SIN is a "bargain".
But note that the fare difference between Biz and F class on CX exCDG is usually less than 2800. So you can buy F class to Asia anytime without waiting for the random upgrade email. BTW the current return F fare to HKG is 4,911 compared to 2,736 in Biz. That is a true bargain.
Well I agree partially with your comment, and I need to be more precise. I got the upgrade offer from Z fare to JFK, and at 1100 Euros. A small calculation learned me that it was still cheaper than J. Yes, I call that a bargain. But I agree that to Asia it is a different game due to fierce competition in J and F cabins. But to compare CDG-SIN with CDG-HKG is not a fair comparison imho.

On the constructive side. Your comment makes me suggest a rule of thumb: It may help to take a decision regarding the upgrade offer based on the normal F and J fares on the same route. Then see how that compares to what you've already paid. Quite often it will be a bargain, as various posts in this forum over the past months have already showed (even offers from O have been reported!)

Last edited by Zembla; Jul 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.