Community
Wiki Posts
Search

random 747 question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
random 747 question

I appologize if this seems trivial, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere.

The 744 fleet is currently configured with a smallish J cabin, economy "Seat Plus" on the upper deck, and regular economy in the rest of the plane. Was there ever a time when the 744 had a full 3 class configuration (F in the nose, J right behind it and upstairs and standard economy?)
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I appologize if this seems trivial, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere.

The 744 fleet is currently configured with a smallish J cabin, economy "Seat Plus" on the upper deck, and regular economy in the rest of the plane. Was there ever a time when the 744 had a full 3 class configuration (F in the nose, J right behind it and upstairs and standard economy?)
Yes, you are correct : a refurbishment of the B744 AF fleet has started. Originally these planes were supposed to leave the fleet (and some are already gone), but 7 will stay longer in the fleet, justifying their refurbishment. It was clearly needed as the interior was showing its age, with J seats still being in NEV1 or 2 version, outdated IFE and no PTV in lower deck Y (except the last 3 frames received by AF).
For J seats, I believe it will be the NEV4 version to be installed. So this is still behind some competitors but will be a great improvement compared to the current situation. The difference in seats for J class will be minimal as they only loose 4 seats (from 40 to 36) and interestingly go to a 2-2-2 config for the rear J cabin (there was a recent thread on FT about this).

The former configuration you mentioned (F in the nose, J right behind it and upstairs and standard Y) did exist but was replaced by the current one (J in the nose and just behind, Y everywhere else, including UD but the latter being a kind of Y+) when NEV J seats were introduced, so about 10 years ago.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, you are correct : a refurbishment of the B744 AF fleet has started. Originally these planes were supposed to leave the fleet (and some are already gone), but 7 will stay longer in the fleet, justifying their refurbishment. It was clearly needed as the interior was showing its age, with J seats still being in NEV1 or 2 version, outdated IFE and no PTV in lower deck Y (except the last 3 frames received by AF).
For J seats, I believe it will be the NEV4 version to be installed. So this is still behind some competitors but will be a great improvement compared to the current situation. The difference in seats for J class will be minimal as they only loose 4 seats (from 40 to 36) and interestingly go to a 2-2-2 config for the rear J cabin (there was a recent thread on FT about this).

The former configuration you mentioned (F in the nose, J right behind it and upstairs and standard Y) did exist but was replaced by the current one (J in the nose and just behind, Y everywhere else, including UD but the latter being a kind of Y+) when NEV J seats were introduced, so about 10 years ago.
Sorry, but the NEV4 are not a "great improvement" over NEV2 (similar to NV1).
The major improvement would be the Video system and screen.
This angled lightweight (no more separate-positioning) seat with limited space for pax (requiring to climb over thighs of neighbor) is well below most of the competition and at best similar to the few competitors who have not finished installing flat beds fleet-wide.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)

Thank you very much!

I flew on an AF 744 about 10 years ago and there wasn't room in the overhead for my carryon. The FA very kindly offered to put it in the First Class storage closet. When we arrived in Paris, she had me follow her up to the nose to retrieve it - and I clearly remember going through a distinct Business Class cabin followed by First Class, where my bag was held. Good to know I'm not going crazy!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
This angled lightweight (no more separate-positioning) seat with limited space for pax (requiring to climb over thighs of neighbor) is well below most of the competition and at best similar to the few competitors who have not finished installing flat beds fleet-wide.
OK, I concur to say that the word "great" was maybe too much . But it is still an improvement.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Yeah, but when you're tall they sleep much better than, for example, in the "legendary" SQ seat. From experience! The climbing issue is only a few minutes every flight, and I don't realy see how that can spoil the experience, the sleeping issue can be pretty much all of the flight.

I would say they are at the lower side of the average. Which should be a warning sign for them...

OK, I concur to say that the word "great" was maybe too much . But it is still an improvement.
It doesn't slide, it doesn't have missaligned angles (which the "legendary" SQ seat has), and it's tall. I think it's considerably better than previous NEV generations. Having said, that...for lounging there are considearbly better seats. Yeah, SQ for example

Looking forward to a "best of both worlds" seat on AF (and KL)

Last edited by Zembla; Apr 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.