Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

[sign-up closed] 1st Flyertalk CDG DO 2012 - powered by Air France & ADP (Apr26/27)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[sign-up closed] 1st Flyertalk CDG DO 2012 - powered by Air France & ADP (Apr26/27)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 4:49 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by chrissxb
video online now: Air France listens to its customers

enjoy ^
Nice video indeed.

But I "creatively edited" (misquoting is such a bad word): I would never say "J'aime bien le concept des options mais c'est plus le prix...". The but-part was much much more extensive and made it very clear that I am very sceptical about additional payments for options. :-D

Anyway, the whole Do was an awesome experience and I cannot thank enough anyone involved. I'm repeating myself here as I said that before in person but I was pretty blown away by the openness and the generosity of Air France there.
Looking thus forward to a repeat and maybe we are then in a position to congratulate the different departments on not only catching up to but exceeding the offerings of the competition.

Last edited by JOUY31; May 18, 2012 at 1:13 am Reason: link updated
Old May 20, 2012, 4:12 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Sophie has posted a report on the Q&A session with Alexandre de Juniac, Air France Chairman and CEO:

http://sophiefigenwald.wordpress.com...ir-france-ceo/

Many thanks, Sophie ^
Old May 20, 2012, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's always good to document these things. Thank you Sophie for that. Please feel free to cut and paste your text into this thread so we can look back here in the coming years to see if Mr. de Juniac's predictions will come true.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue
Thanks to you
It's a pleasure to write about this event; I already made three reports, don't know if you've seen them. (I don't publish links as I'm "new" and my messages need to be approved if they contain a link)

So here is the text I wrote :

During the Air France event for FlyerTalkers, we had the chance to meet Alexandre de Juniac, the airline CEO. He enthusiastically answered the audience’s questions. I’ll try to give you the main points we talked about with him and the impression we had.

First of all, I would like to thank him again, in the name of all FlyerTalkers, for the time he devoted to us. It shows how important customers are to him. We immediately felt how implicated he was and how curious he was to hear our compliments as well as our criticism.

The ambition of Air France

From the first minutes, he made clear the goal of the company : Air France wants to recover by 2013/2014 and to be the world number one by 2016 and to take his words “the airline on which it’s impossible not to travel”. Very ambitious isn’t it ? But impossible, it doesn’t seem so to Mr de Juniac’s eyes and he explained us then how to achieve this goal.

First of all, costs. They need to be reduced and Air France is already working on it.

Secondly, the personal. FlyerTalkers obviously raised the question of strikes which are well-known in France. Recalling the new French laws concerning strikes, Air France CEO told us that from now on, strikers have to inform their hierarchy of their strike intentions at least two days before its beginning. This means that the airline can better prepare solutions and replacements to avoid big problems and cancellations.

Thirdly, the fleet efficiency. The Air France fleet is one of the youngest in the world with an average of 8,9 years. Past investments in the fleet were well made and aircrafts in the fleet today are very efficient. To save money, Air France will not invest in new aircrafts during a few years. In 2014, the average age of the fleet will still be young with 10 years.

Finally, Air France is leading a quality improvement in all the cabins. Mr de Juniac knows that improvements must be made and has assured us that in the future and beginning in 2013, new cabins will be installed. And exclusive information, in 2013 there will be a whole new first-class ! We can’t wait to discover it !!

A merger with Alitalia ?

The question of a merger with Alitalia was also raised. 25% of Alitalia belongs today to Air France and nothing will move until January 2013. After the recovery of Air France in 2013/2014 the hypothesis of a merger is feasible. For Mr. de Juniac, the logic of three hubs in Europe with Air France-KLM-Alitalia in Paris CDG, Amsterdam Schiphol and Rome Fiumicino makes completely sense. We’ll see !

Low-cost carriers’ future

Mr de Juniac also gave his feelings about low-cost carriers’ future. First of all, this type of airline is born in the US. What happens there gives the trend of the future in Europe. As Delta resists quite good against the low-cost Southwest Airlines, Air France CEO believes that “traditional” airlines can be quite confident for the future.

Furthermore travelers can be divided in three segments :
Travelers who look for a price rather than a travel experience. These people will always travel with the cheapest airline, Air France can’t compete on this segment.
Travelers with high or middle budget who look for an experience. They travel on short- and medium-haul flight and Air France wants to improve its services on that segment.
Travelers who hesitate between good prices and services. Here an important question is raised for Air France. What will they sell apart or as supplement ? Luggages like low-cost airlines ?… A question that is tough to answer for Air France. This is why Air France-KLM thinks to an extension of Transavia, their low-cost subsidiary which operates business destinations for the moment and which could be extended to leisure destinations. If Transavia operates leisure destinations, it will directly compete with easyJet. The orange airline on the other hand is trying to conquer business destinations. For Mr de Juniac, this is clearly the sign that competition between traditional and low-cost carriers tends to become fairer and more balanced.

The future of Skyteam

When encouraging FlyerTalkers to share with him their dissatisfactions, Air France CEO received a comment about the difference of prices for an identical flight according to the website of the member of Skyteam.

Mr de Juniac confirmed us that the final objective of the alliance is to merge all the systems. But this can’t be done so easily and this coordination will take years.

He gave the example of the exploitation at the airport of New-York JFK. A part of one terminal there belongs to Air France. It allows Air France to save money on the exploitation and this is why the airline doesn’t change its terminal of operations to join the Delta one.

And even if (and it’s quite normal) there are service disparities in the members of Skyteam, CEOs are aware of it and try to harmonize the quality delivered.

Conclusion

Once again, it was very kind of Mr de Juniac to share this moment with us. It shows how important customers are to his eyes. He seems to be a very human leader, fully conscious that an airline doesn’t exist without its customers.

We also noticed during these two days when talking with managers that they all paid a lot of attention to our comments or advices. Air France wants to improve to satisfy its customers. They all know that the only way for the airline to recover is to seduce travelers with the best service quality.

Finally, to conclude the session, we thanked Mr de Juniac and he answered “Thanks; but it is due to one thing, the commitment of our 70 000 guys, all this for you.” A very nice moment !

-----------------------------------------------------------

And a question, JOUY31 told me that the Alitalia hub Mr de Juniac talked about was Rome instead of Milan. I wrote Milan when he spoke but I might have made a mistake... Does anyone know if it's Rome or Milan ?

Last edited by sophiesxb; May 23, 2012 at 9:18 am
Old May 21, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by sophiesxb
And a question, JOUY31 told me that the Alitalia hub Mr de Juniac talked about was Rome instead of Milan. I wrote Milan when he spoke but I might have made a mistake... Does anyone know if it's Rome or Milan ?
My notes say FCO...
Old May 21, 2012, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KQ321
My notes say FCO...
That would seem logical to me. AZ made a very hard executive decision to discontinue using MXP as their main hub and I certainly couldn't imagine the AF KL CEO casually suggesting that if AF-KL buy AZ they will refocus AZ operations in MXP instead, it would be totally out of order and I'm sure Mr De Juniac is not
Old May 21, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It's definitely FCO.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue
Ok, thanks to all of you ! Sorry for the mistake, I'll correct it
Old May 21, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sophiesxb
Ok, thanks to all of you ! Sorry for the mistake, I'll correct it
You are completely forgiven
Old May 23, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since there were a few attendees who asked me to post this, here is the report from my RTW which followed the Do.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...o-ams-lys.html
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:22 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The FlyerTalk CDG DO is mentioned in the July edition of Air France Magazine (page 121) .

http://magazines.airfrance.com/fr/ai...-juillet-2012/ (go to the Air France news section)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I won the prize I was happy to think I could do this during my time off over the summer! I remember the marketing guy even telling me to do it then, is there no flexibility to when its possible?

To the other winners, have you managed to book yet, what sort of times did you get?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by hugolover
When I won the prize I was happy to think I could do this during my time off over the summer! I remember the marketing guy even telling me to do it then, is there no flexibility to when its possible?

To the other winners, have you managed to book yet, what sort of times did you get?
I still have not decided as to when.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Gajan
I still have not decided as to when.
Me too. Will likely do it this fall.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Do participants and likely others may find this January 4th TV report of an AF A380 flight pretty interesting. It shows some of what we saw, and some things we didn't see.

http://pluzz.francetv.fr/videos/jt20h_,75036167.html

It's about 19 minutes in. And sorry to non-Francophones, but it is in French. But I think you will still find it interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.