Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So disappointed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Schlossie
Hi everyone. Sorry I just now got a chance to get my hands on an internet connection since we've been driving around the country for a few days.

I had no knowledge that the ticket was booked with skymiles, I'm not even a skymiles member. So to answer a few of the questions that came up: The miles used were not my miles and I don't know whose they were. I booked through a travel office, paid them for my tickets. Checked my reservation online and they were valid on Air France. I don't know anything about the classes, so since it said business (Affaires) on my reservation when checking it on Air France all looked okay.

It's like going to a tax preparer and paying them for your return. Does that mean I have to know everything about taxes? I don't and that's why I went to a professional. I'm upset that they are not returning my calls or emails and I guess that means I'll be short the day and will pursue these matters (against the travel agency) when I get back to the U.S. Sucks, it's my annual family visit and now it's short. Apparently I'm to blame, because I don't know how to properly make a reservation.
I don't think you are to blame, but I think the travel agents and frequent flyers involved absolutely are. They sold you something that simply cannot be sold and they should at least have made you aware of the process and risks. I'm reading cfischer's assessment of the risks as suggesting that maybe you should complain about the TA after you return from your trip rather than before. The situation is difficult. On the one hand, I can understand the will to keep a low profile even after you travel. On the other hand, I find the practice of the 'TA' you used absolutely scandalous. These people are neither more nor less than charlatans and I would find it natural that the skymiles account of the person who sold their miles to this TA (and others who did the same) be cancelled and that the said TA be stopped from continuing with their dubious practice. This is simply not cricket, and ultimately, it contributes to devaluating miles, making it harder to find tickets for people who genuinely want to use their miles for what they were intended (buying tickets for themselves or their friends and families) and creates a parallel economy which encourages airlines to implicitely punish honest frequent flyers (for instance by making awards always more expensive and harder to get) because of a few selfish idiots. So to me, whether before or after your return, you should at least anonymously draw DL's attention to the service you used (e.g. internet ad that led you to this TA or how you heard about it) and what it consisted of.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't think you are to blame, but I think the travel agents and frequent flyers involved absolutely are. They sold you something that simply cannot be sold and they should at least have made you aware of the process and risks. I'm reading cfischer's assessment of the risks as suggesting that maybe you should complain about the TA after you return from your trip rather than before. The situation is difficult. On the one hand, I can understand the will to keep a low profile even after you travel. On the other hand, I find the practice of the 'TA' you used absolutely scandalous. These people are neither more nor less than charlatans and I would find it natural that the skymiles account of the person who sold their miles to this TA (and others who did the same) be cancelled and that the said TA be stopped from continuing with their dubious practice. This is simply not cricket, and ultimately, it contributes to devaluating miles, making it harder to find tickets for people who genuinely want to use their miles for what they were intended (buying tickets for themselves or their friends and families) and creates a parallel economy which encourages airlines to implicitely punish honest frequent flyers (for instance by making awards always more expensive and harder to get) because of a few selfish idiots. So to me, whether before or after your return, you should at least anonymously draw DL's attention to the service you used (e.g. internet ad that led you to this TA or how you heard about it) and what it consisted of.
Delta's RPU will certainly love to hear about this issue, but I urge you to first complete your travels before attempting to contact Delta. Based on the situation you cannot ask for delay compensation, but then again they also don't have your credit card and hence they can't technically charge you retroactively. Did you pay by check or credit card? If you paid by credit card they can track down the TA and with your ticket they can track down the idiot who sold the miles in the first place.
Very unpleasant situation.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:19 pm

There are a couple of companies that call themselves travel agents,using frequent flyer miles.One I think is called Luxury4less,and they claim that they aquire unwanted frequent flyer miles from companies,and sell first and business class tickets at a discount.I am being bombarded with e-mails from one,with some interesting offers.
I have seen some disturbing annecdotal evidence of airlines cancelling the return parts of tickets,and leaving people stranded,due to invalid tickets.There was a recent thread on Tripadvisor regarding this subject.
I am not an expert on the rules for trading frequent flyer miles,my program forbids it,but perhaps some programs allow it.It seems problems arrise when some form of irrops throws a spotlight on some tickets.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
@ cfischer - wise advice: fly first (keeping your fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong) and mention later.

@ rapidex - I'm not aware of any airline which allows FF miles sales. Gifting is possible on some but I suspect that the 'disturbing annecdotal evidence' that you have is likely to be the systematic position airlines will take whenever they are aware of such a transaction. Again, both for 'moral' and practical reasons, I'd really recommend to anyone to stay away from such transactions, because once you are stranded 6000 miles away from home with no recourse, you won't have a leg to stand on and as we say in French, 'vous n'aurez que vos yeux pour pleurer'...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Canceled AF

Originally Posted by Schlossie
I hope this is the correct forum. I picked it because this is AF specific. AF cancelled my family's flight today (affaires) due to "pilot unavailability". We checked the flight status before going to the airport and were told that everything is fine, just go there. 45 min trip to the airport and I was (once again) only handed a letter saying that I should call a number they can't help you at the airport.

Customer service? All passenger's have been re-booked to the next day. Now we've lost a day of our vacation and are not getting it back, because it's award travel and there is no award seat available.

I picked AF, because of the "extras" that you get, in this case flying the A380. This is not the first time I received a letter instead of a smile at check-in and I've had it. I buy my ticket based on the services they offer, and then suddenly I find myself on a different flight, with a different plane or different airline, with no mileage credit, arriving a day later and being totally exhausted and unnerved.

My flight has been booked through Delta, and the person I spoke to would only give me her first name. Anne, supervisor in Atlanta. I guess this is how I'm supposed to file my complaint? Even IRS customer service reps give you a badge number.

I'm just soooo disappointed. Does anybody know of any recourse? They certainly made it sound like that's just the way it is, a schedule change and I'm due nothing. I will still get from A to B, albeit on a different day and via a different plane.

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

Schlossie
I wanted to thank all of the FT posters here. Another reason to be part of FT; I learned a great deal here. The TA scam is interesting. Watch out.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rapidex
There are a couple of companies that call themselves travel agents,using frequent flyer miles.One I think is called Luxury4less,and they claim that they aquire unwanted frequent flyer miles from companies,and sell first and business class tickets at a discount.I am being bombarded with e-mails from one,with some interesting offers.
I have seen some disturbing annecdotal evidence of airlines cancelling the return parts of tickets,and leaving people stranded,due to invalid tickets.There was a recent thread on Tripadvisor regarding this subject.
I am not an expert on the rules for trading frequent flyer miles,my program forbids it,but perhaps some programs allow it.It seems problems arrise when some form of irrops throws a spotlight on some tickets.
Let's face it, this is against the rules of any FQTV program I know. You can gift them and if you chose to accept 'gifts' for this (e.g. from a family member) there is nothing airlines can do about this. However, if you sell them to a complete stranger and someone makes a stupid comment at the airport counter you may find yourself w/o a FQTV account and with a lawsuit from the person who purchased it from you. Be very careful with such transactions and only trade with close friends or family.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Let's face it, this is against the rules of any FQTV program I know. You can gift them and if you chose to accept 'gifts' for this (e.g. from a family member) there is nothing airlines can do about this. However, if you sell them to a complete stranger and someone makes a stupid comment at the airport counter you may find yourself w/o a FQTV account and with a lawsuit from the person who purchased it from you. Be very careful with such transactions and only trade with close friends or family.
I agree with your post, except that a lawsuit seems unlikely for the seller of miles. It is not against the "law" to sell miles; it is only against the T&Cs. What is likely is that the airline will take action by suspending your FFP account.
As for the buyer of such award tickets, one would have to be extremely naive (or pretend to be) to claim that he was not aware that these tickets were award tickets. The broker is always making it crystal-clear in order to avoid litigations. At least that it is true in America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.