Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The COI product compared to the normal product

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
The COI product compared to the normal product

I have seen comparisons of the COI product with the normal product scattered throughout the forum. But perhaps it can be handy to have it mentioned in a dedicated thread.

I do understand that there are differences in all classes, both the hard and the soft product.

This is what I know

In J:
  • Only two rows
  • Differences in the meal service (but what?)

In Alizé (Compared to Premium Economy)
  • Meal service from J (Premium Economy has meal service from Y)

In Y:
  • I remember that less leg space has been reported(Is that true? if I count the rows in the last section it's the same as in any 77W?)

I'v got a COI flight in J coming up. Very curious to know in advance what I can expect. The exclusive feel of only two rows J in a 472 passengers aircraft sounds like a plus to me
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Interesting, I was actually going to ask the same question. Specifically for a flight from ORY to CAY in J. Which is on an A340-300, unlike most other COI flights which are on B777-300ER (RUN, FDF, PTP) or B747-400 (SDQ, MRU, some others?). SXM is somehow the odd one out, as it is being served with a "normal" A340-300 from CDG as far as I know.

Can someone tell us more about seats (NEV2 instead of NEV3?), catering (apparently less sophisticated/less choice than "normal" longhaul C), IFE (no differences, there, right?).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
PUJ and SDQ are now served by 77W COI as well in a CDG-PUJ-SDQ-CDG "triangle".

From my understanding the 77W COI have the NEV2 despite being amongst the latest additions to the fleet.
And from my understanding the 747 COI doesn't have the NEV but something else...maybe the old 127? YIKES!

Last edited by Zembla; Nov 14, 2010 at 11:31 am
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
And from my understanding the 747 COI doesn't have the NEV but something else...maybe the old 127? YIKES!
There is no more 744 in COI config
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, IHG Gold
PUJ and SDQ are now served by 77W COI as well in a CDG-PUJ-SDQ-CDG "triangle".

From my understanding the 77W COI have the NEV2 despite being amongst the latest additions to the fleet.
No, all the remaining 744 are in "international" configuration with NEV2.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leadership
No, all the remaining 744 are in "international" configuration with NEV2.
Does it mean that COI flights are all 77W nowadays?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Does it mean that COI flights are all 77W nowadays?
No. Exceptions that comes to my mind are : SXM (A340), CAY (part of the year with A340), TNR (A340), MRU (B744 in "regular" international config)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
No. Exceptions that comes to my mind are : SXM (A340), CAY (part of the year with A340), TNR (A340), MRU (B744 in "regular" international config)
Indeed, MRU has COI 'soft' service on international (744 intl) hard product. To answer the OP's question on food difference in J:

- pre-take off drink also includes punch
- no amuse bouche
- choice of only 3 mains as opposed to 4 in normal long haul
- no dessert trio and no dessert choice only one pastry
- no choice of hot dish for the breakfast (only one choice, I believe usually the sweet one).

I must say it is beyond me what sort of economy this represents for AF as compared to just offering the real intl product but if it makes them happy...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I must say it is beyond me what sort of economy this represents for AF as compared to just offering the real intl product but if it makes them happy...
Maybe they do it in response to some FA union requiring an average work time spent on serving lunch of x, and maybe the normal international service busts that average, so they reduce the service on COI to bring working hours, pénibilité and other hardships linked to being an FA back to the union-negotiated average

(OK je sors...)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:33 am

More seriously: what are services like on the ground? I am aware of the lounge at ORY Ouest, Hall 3 used for flights leaving to COI.

What about lounges/patios at COI outstations (probably only airport-owned ones)? Priority CKI (I assume yes)? Fast lane (unsure)? Priority delivery of baggage, or at least promise thereof in terms of yellow stickers?

Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by creber
(OK je sors...)
Please, don't
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat For Life, BAEC Silver, MPC Gold,Miles & Smiles Gold, Priority Club Ambassador
I have seen comparisons of the COI product with the normal product scattered throughout the forum. But perhaps it can be handy to have it mentioned in a dedicated thread.

I do understand that there are differences in all classes, both the hard and the soft product.

This is what I know

In J:
  • Only two rows
  • Differences in the meal service (but what?)

In Alizé (Compared to Premium Economy)
  • Meal service from J (Premium Economy has meal service from Y)

In Y:
  • I remember that less leg space has been reported(Is that true? if I count the rows in the last section it's the same as in any 77W?)

I'v got a COI flight in J coming up. Very curious to know in advance what I can expect. The exclusive feel of only two rows J in a 472 passengers aircraft sounds like a plus to me
Hi everyone,

In J
Only two rows: RIGHT
Differences in the meal service:
- no choice of appetizers
- one dessert only

In Alizé
Meal only from J, not the service
Appetizer, main meal, cheese and dessert served all together
Breakfast completely different from J: no hot meal

I've never travelled in Y yet, so sorry I cannot help you.

The COI configured aircrafts also take off from CDG to destinations such as Havana, Dominican Republic or soon Madagascar.
So you can experience much better lounges in CDG than in ORY hall 3

Have a nice flight
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

More seriously: what are services like on the ground? I am aware of the lounge at ORY Ouest, Hall 3 used for flights leaving to COI.

What about lounges/patios at COI outstations (probably only airport-owned ones)? Priority CKI (I assume yes)? Fast lane (unsure)? Priority delivery of baggage, or at least promise thereof in terms of yellow stickers?

Thanks
AF has its own lounges at stations like FDF and PTP (and I'm talking about real lounges, not patios). MRU is MK lounge. I don't know for the other stations.

CKI : dedicated J counters (sometimes the same as Alizé class), as for regular long haul flights
priority bags : yes
fast track lane : not sure (depends on airport)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: FB Plat For Life, BAEC Silver, MPC Gold,Miles & Smiles Gold, Priority Club Ambassador

Thanks
Priority CKI: YES (Affaires, Alizé)

Fast lane: in ORY, YES but for only for passport control not for security control (Accčs n°1)
In RUN, no fast lane.

AF lounge in RUN

Priority yellow sticker: YES but the luggage is not always priority delivered once at destination
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:13 am
Original Poster

OK. So I can confirm most that has been said in this thread. C had tired looking but perfectly working NEV2 even though the plane seemed almost brand new.

The small two row C cabin guarantees a private feel and also a personalized service. The cabin is quiet and the toilet stayed spotlessly clean throughout the flight.
The missing choice of starters and missing choice of hot breakfast is a bit odd, but understandable with two rows only because there is less buffer in flexibility for them. Unless they would offer the choices in Alize too...

Now the complaints section. The lounge in PUJ is an uncomfortable pathetic joke and you'll have to pay for most things there. (I know there's another lounge in PUJ which Martinair used to use with Star Class and that lounge is 10x better). Virtually only a beer or a coke would be free (just one!) Great when you've spent all your cash on your holidays and you have to wait for over two hours. (One anticipates more with lounge access right?) It gets worse...no pre assigned seats between and PUJ and SDQ and we had to "fight" for separate middle seats in Alize. We almost ended up with a double downgrade to economy but then someone of the cabin crew intervened and downgraded two people who had also just boarded from Alize to Y for the short hop. It took quite a while before everything calmed down and including the 30 minute flight we were in Alize for 1.5 hours or so. The problem I've had with this is not the downgrade on the short hop, but the complete disorganized chaos that surrounded it. AF: Please pre-assign seats on that hop even if it's a downgrade, the hassle was really unpleasant.

Priority boarding in PUJ: No, making all of the above even worse...

The Alize seat was outright disappointing. To me it felt the same as Economy Comfort on KLM...a normal eco seat with an inch extra leg space. Maybe I expected more from it (The Premium Economy seat on AF is much better with Y service, but the service in Alize is reported to be better with choice of food from C)

Then you leave the plane in SDQ and thereafter everything gets better. Lounge in SDQ is about okay and you don't have enough time to use both drinks vouchers. (we received 2 each). Then you can board and get your pre-assigned seat on a spotlessly cleaned plane.

Priority boarding in SDQ: Yes.

The disorganized mess between PUJ and SDQ aside. (Its easier to complain than to commend) We had pleasant flights with attentive and professional crews both ways.

Last edited by Zembla; Jan 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.