Search

FlyBE and Air France co-operation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Please keep us posted..thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: N/A
Right, I've just got of the phone with AF and it turns out the email I received from the "online" customer service was more "helpful" than I reported earlier.
The competent AF employee I got on the phone explained the mistery behind (new) FlyBe flights and (cancelled) AF flights appearing on the same reservation: I had to confirm that I agreed to the changes, which I did over the phone.
I just wish I had received an email telling me about the changes and that I needed to get in touch with them ....

The agent told me that segments should still count. I guess I (we) will have to see it for myself (ourselves).

I also asked about the Elite/Elite+ benefits for flights operated by FlyBe (I was more interested in flights leaving from non-AF terminal as it will be the case in MAN). He said he did not know and suggested I got in touch with FB in the UK, which I did.

The (French) FB agent that dealt with me seemed far less competent and interested in my request. At first, he did not seem to know much about those AF flights operated by FlyBe. He did some quick research and realised I was not telling lies. I asked about priority check-in (lounge access but he did not seem to have heard/understood the end of my sentence). He suggested that since AF was selling the tickets, I (we) should get the benefits: again, I guess I (we) will have to see it for myself (ourselves). I just wish that when I arrive at a FlyBe check-in desk/lounge, they know what a FB Elite+ card is and what the benefits that come with it are. This I believe, and unless I have missed it, needs some clarification.

Anyway, time to rate my experience over the phone:
-AF UK 9.5/10: very little wait and competent agent
-FB UK: 6/10: despite the less competent agent, I give this good rating as they claim Elite customer jump the queue and get in touch with agents more quickly
-KLM UK: 3/10, I gave up after 15min without speaking to anyone: no Elite-jump-the-queue "à la FlyingBlue" on the number I used in the UK (one of my reservation was a KLM one, and even though the AF agent modified it and said it was OK, he suggested I should ring KLM to make sure everything is fine).

Last edited by stirlingFR; Sep 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can I just buy single ticket eg MAN-CDG for £38 (there are few of them operated by AF) from flybe website without paying luggage fees, and check in the flight with my FB gold in order to carry luggage?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Some discussion currently on pprune about the likelyhood of AF moving from T2 to T3
Flybe operate from T3 now with flightsupport, AF out of T2 with swissport so it sounds like something's going to change. Unlikely that flybe will move from T3.

Related question: How do the lounges work out if you book a flight on an AF flight number but flybe metal? This will fly out of T3, does flybe have a lounge there? If they do, how does it compare with the Skyteam lounge in T2? (which presumably you could still use if better)

nickyboy
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by nickyboy
Some discussion currently on pprune about the likelyhood of AF moving from T2 to T3
Flybe operate from T3 now with flightsupport, AF out of T2 with swissport so it sounds like something's going to change. Unlikely that flybe will move from T3.
It seems that something has changed: from 31st October 2010 Air France and CityJet will operate from Terminal 3.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
@rse

I've only flown one AF round trip this year, next week it will be two. Double checking my flights, it looks as if I'm on A318 and A320, so not yet in the clutches of FlyBE.

What a truly cr@p decision to move out of T2 into the LCC hell that is T3 at MAN. Unfortunately, I can see KLM following them to share costs, but I truly hope not.

What's happening to the AF lounge in T2? Will the staff move to the FlyBE lounge in T3. Where will KLM go?

I really do not want to be on FlyBE by mistake - no seats unless you pay, no free booze, handbaggage police. I don't even want to think about changing planes in CDG. It's bad enough from 2E to 2F.

And landing at T3 is no picnic - only a couple of baggage belts, no Iris or eBorders gates for immigration and frequently long queues.

From now on, it will be no AF unless I really must go direct to Paris...... Even the train via London is now looking appealing.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
FlyBe: Low Cost Airline?

I was a bit bored, so I thought I'd do some digging around about this new BE/AF codesharing stuff; here's a funny discovery I made:

Booking a return flight, EDI-CDG: out 15th Feb, return 22nd Feb.

FlyBe website:
EDI-CDG 09:10-12:10 BE3053 (operated by CityJet for Air France)
CDG-EDI 15:25-16:35 BE3056 (operated by CityJet for Air France)
Total Price = £243.77

Air France website:
EDI-CDG 09:10-12:10 AF5051 (operated by CityJet)
CDG-EDI 15:25-16:35 AF5052 (operated by CityJet)
Total Price = £147.04

LCC = "Likely to Con Customers!"

-- Henry
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stirlingFR
Similar thing happening at BHX: was flying out of T1 last weekend and saw notices that AF flights to CDG and LYS will move to T2 end of the month.

For me [personally] it is a big drawback as there are no IRIS gates there.

Last edited by jms_uk; Oct 23, 2010 at 5:32 pm Reason: added screenshot
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stirlingFR
Anyway, time to rate my experience over the phone:
-AF UK 9.5/10: very little wait and competent agent
-FB UK: 6/10: despite the less competent agent, I give this good rating as they claim Elite customer jump the queue and get in touch with agents more quickly
-KLM UK: 3/10, I gave up after 15min without speaking to anyone: no Elite-jump-the-queue "à la FlyingBlue" on the number I used in the UK (one of my reservation was a KLM one, and even though the AF agent modified it and said it was OK, he suggested I should ring KLM to make sure everything is fine).
Here you are puzzling the academic in me - where do you get the 3 points when you didn't even get through to anyone at all?? Shouldn't it be a 0?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, AMEX Gold, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Similar thing happening at BHX: was flying out of T1 last weekend and saw notices that AF flights to CDG and LYS will move to T2 end of the month.

For me [personally] it is a big drawback as there are no IRIS gates there.
As Terminal 2 is just RyanAir and FlyBe, the lack of IRIS gates is the least of my worries

I have just had an email from FB-UK listing my Gold (E+) benefits at various UK airports. The bits relevant to BHX are:
Security fast track: Birmingham T1 (so not in T2 I assume)
Lounge access: Birmingham

Is there lounge AF pax can use in T2? (There is a ST lounge in T1, but it is the air-side of security.)

On the bright side, the BHX website states:
There is currently an ongoing project to merge the two terminals together into a single operation, with a combined security area. The One Terminal project should be fully complete for summer 2011.

I have a couple of KLM flights booked out of BHX in the spring (still T1 thankfully), so hopefully by the time I next fly AF from BHX (probably next summer) it will be from the new 'One Terminal' (with fast track access and a nice new lounge...)
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
And it just gets worse for me.....

AF have pulled their last flight from CDG to MAN, so the 21:xx is no more. Their last flight is at 18:20 and my chance of getting there after a full day a La Defence is next to nil.

So, it's the 20:55 on FlyBE for me in December. At least it appears they've moved into 2E, so lounge should be OK in CDG. Not expecting any priority boarding, though.

It's making the Eurostar and Virgin Rail seem attractive.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA, Flybe Rubbish No Flights to Spain Programme
I'm not familiar with the current schedule on these routes, but doesn't this represent a significant capacity increase? Up to 7 daily each way MAN-CDG seems a very high frequency.
What has actually happened here is that the old BA Flybe code shares are no more.

(BA now only flies to LHR and LGW from MAN as far as I can see so my 150k BA miles a re effectively useless now as it's generally cheaper and a lot less hassle to buy a direct flight than to pay two lots of taxes for a "free flight" connecting via London ! World's favourite airline? Not in Manchester they aren't!)

AF and FB now code share the route so:

There is no competition any more.

AF have pulled some of their flights using "proper" planes (Airbuses) and we are left with the late return from CdG - MAN in one of the poxy FlyBe prop jobs with no hand luggage space.

Prices for FlyBe are higher than via the AF site, so the AF code share seats go quickly on this tiny plane leaving you to pay over £500 return for flexible flights in an Embraer that used to cost just over £400 Premium eco in an airbus. (It seems they divvy up the seats between Flybe / AF and travel agents and there is no flexibility built into this arrangement so once AF have sold their allocation that's it as far as they are conncerened - they will tell you the flight uis full even though you can buy tickets via the Flybe site)

It's at T3 now. i can confirm queues last night (Friday) for passport control (no iris recognition)and they even managed to miss their own soft target of all bags in 40 minutes on the one belt that was operating. in fact not one bag in 40 minutes being delivered! Just what I needs at 8 pm of a Friday night!

All in all this is a VERY negative change for the MAN - CDG route and for AF frequent flyers.

I too am going to be looking hard at any viable alternatives which is a shame as the AF service used to be truly excellent.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by pommie
What has actually happened here is that the old BA Flybe code shares are no more.

(BA now only flies to LHR and LGW from MAN as far as I can see so my 150k BA miles a re effectively useless now as it's generally cheaper and a lot less hassle to buy a direct flight than to pay two lots of taxes for a "free flight" connecting via London ! World's favourite airline? Not in Manchester they aren't!)

AF have pulled some of their flights using "proper" planes (Airbuses) and we are left with the late return from CdG - MAN in one of the poxy FlyBe prop jobs with no hand luggage space.

Prices for FlyBe are higher than via the AF site, so the AF code share seats go quickly on this tiny plane leaving you to pay over £500 return for flexible flights in an Embraer that used to cost just over £400 Premium eco in an airbus. (It seems they divvy up the seats between Flybe / AF and travel agents and there is no flexibility built into this arrangement so once AF have sold their allocation that's it as far as they are conncerened - they will tell you the flight uis full even though you can buy tickets via the Flybe site)

It's at T3 now. i can confirm queues last night (Friday) for passport control (no iris recognition)and they even managed to miss their own soft target of all bags in 40 minutes on the one belt that was operating. in fact not one bag in 40 minutes being delivered! Just what I needs at 8 pm of a Friday night!

All in all this is a VERY negative change for the MAN - CDG route and for AF frequent flyers.

I too am going to be looking hard at any viable alternatives which is a shame as the AF service used to be truly excellent.
Excellent first post.
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Here you are puzzling the academic in me - where do you get the 3 points when you didn't even get through to anyone at all?? Shouldn't it be a 0?
Oops. I agree it should have been 0. The reason why I gave 3 escapes me. It must have been a consequence of previous OK dealings with KLM UK over the phone and the awkward feeling of giving a 0 or 1 mark. For some reason, I feel bad when I am being 'harsh' on someone/something.

Originally Posted by pommie

Thank you for the report! I used to enjoy flying from/to of MAN to CDG with AF. It looks like the experience is going to be far less enjoyable now they have moved to T3 and share with FlyBe.
Although the IRIS gates were saving time, in my own experience, they would only be operating half of the time.
I will be flying the MAN-CDG routes next week-end and at the end of the month. I will try to report on my experience as well.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: KLM Platinum; BMI Gold; Hilton Gold
Nothing from CWL to the world from BE/AF

Originally Posted by Henry III
I was a bit bored, so I thought I'd do some digging around about this new BE/AF codesharing stuff; here's a funny discovery I made:

Booking a return flight, EDI-CDG: out 15th Feb, return 22nd Feb.

FlyBe website:
EDI-CDG 09:10-12:10 BE3053 (operated by CityJet for Air France)
CDG-EDI 15:25-16:35 BE3056 (operated by CityJet for Air France)
Total Price = £243.77

Air France website:
EDI-CDG 09:10-12:10 AF5051 (operated by CityJet)
CDG-EDI 15:25-16:35 AF5052 (operated by CityJet)
Total Price = £147.04

LCC = "Likely to Con Customers!"

-- Henry

Having to fly CWL-ZAG every few weeks (normally by KL and OU via AMS at about €400) I was delighted at the press release which specifically mentioned Cardiff and Zagreb.

Nice, another alternative (CWL-CDG-ZAG) I thought (ie BE to CDG, AF onward). Timings outbound gave about 1hr 15 at CDG for changing, and more than that on return (cyfleus iawn)

However, the FlyBE website shows no sign of reflecting this collaboration & these destinations, or indeed any connections beyond CWL-CDG.

The AF website - as in the past - routes me CWL-AMS-ZAG or CWL-AMS-CDG - ZAG.....and doesn't recognise/suggest the alleged CWL-CDG collaboration with BE

Undettered I checked out sites like Kayak, Expedia, Vayama, Skyscanner etc etc. Well, on some of these the CWL-CDG-ZAG route does come up as possible on BE/AF - at about €1400.....gulp. The one site I found that actually did use BE throughout wanted to ticket CWL- CDG-PRG-ZAG at €770 return.

Maybe I just have to be patient - but it would be nice to have some reasonable fares for this route from BE/AF; after all, that's what their announcement promised . (dyfal donc....efallai...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.