Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Also reporting an experience like Livyer. After nearly 15 years as an SE, only qualified as E50K for 2020. Wrote a polite note to AC in January requesting a courtesy exceptional extension of 100K status for one year. Just heard back that it has been granted and to expect my status to dip and then go back up again shortly.

I didn't give any excuses, but noted my high AQD (including last year), noting therefore that I was flying less *A but was still AC-loyal, and referenced being well on my way to AC 2MM. I also noted that if it been introduced earlier, I might well now have 2 or more years of status banked (I've had several years >300k AQM, just not in the past 3 years).

Last edited by montrealer; Feb 29, 2020 at 6:50 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Plumber
I have a colleague who has been SE for ~20 consecutive years . He is at 2.8MM so already has E75K for life.

He will fall well short this year of SE. I think he will finish between 65K and 70K AQM . I dont know his AQD but I suspect he is well short on this as well.

I expect he will reach out to AC soon (probably though the Concierge) and ask them to grant him SE on a one-off basis.

I will report back later when he reaches out and hears back.
Just to close the loop on this ... Colleague was granted SE for 2020 after requesting an exception just over two weeks ago.

His AQM was actually ~85K .
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:35 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
You don't need to qualify for 50k, you get it as MM
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada 35K
I was lowly 35K and missed re-qualifying by 169 miles. My AQD was $8000+. They did not give me 35K
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Matt93
I was lowly 35K and missed re-qualifying by 169 miles. My AQD was $8000+. They did not give me 35K
Wow. Did they offer you a buy-up?
mileageking likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
Just to close the loop on this ... Colleague was granted SE for 2020 after requesting an exception just over two weeks ago.

His AQM was actually ~85K .
Amazing & congrats to your colleague. Did he request concierge or write to AC? What was his approx. AQD?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by mileageking
Amazing & congrats to your colleague. Did he request concierge or write to AC? What was his approx. AQD?
He first wrote to the Concierge who gave him the Air Canada email address to send the request.

I am not sure of the AQD, but I suspect he was already over the $20K.

Will be interesting to see what happens this year as I doubt he will get anywhere close to 100K-- i believe he is still at 0 AQM at this point.
mileageking likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Matt93
I was 3 miles away and got bumped up. Maybe the fact that I was almost 3x over the AQD threshold helped my argument... did you try sending them an e-mail?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
Will aeroplan grant status if you are just shy of goal?

Looks like I will finish the year at 99,347 SQM and 22k of spend. I am “owed” 1000sqm from AMEX ( aeroplan business reserve) but they have yet to grant the bonus for exceeding the 5k spend limit ( I have a ticket open with Amex, but it could take some time)

anyway, my question is , would Aeroplan grant me super elite status anyway , or offer some cash purchase towards status ?

a quick mileage run is looking unlikely with major storms hitting Ontario this week , and I have a local hockey tournament starting on the 28th -31st.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by piperdown
Looks like I will finish the year at 99,347 SQM and 22k of spend. I am “owed” 1000sqm from AMEX ( aeroplan business reserve) but they have yet to grant the bonus for exceeding the 5k spend limit ( I have a ticket open with Amex, but it could take some time)

anyway, my question is , would Aeroplan grant me super elite status anyway , or offer some cash purchase towards status ?

a quick mileage run is looking unlikely with major storms hitting Ontario this week , and I have a local hockey tournament starting on the 28th -31st.
I assume you've read the very first post in this thread. The answer is the same now as it was when that was posted, in 2009.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:56 am

Could you quickly spend another 5k on your AMEX business APR and you should have a peace of mind (I would do that).
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JacFlyer
Could you quickly spend another 5k on your AMEX business APR and you should have a peace of mind (I would do that).
I second this.

If you needed to spend $25k, it might be harder to float a large gift card. But I'd be fine with a $5k gift card for Amazon etc.

That being said, the problem seems to be with Amex posting the SQM, so there's no guarantee this would work.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I second this.

If you needed to spend $25k, it might be harder to float a large gift card. But I'd be fine with a $5k gift card for Amazon etc.

That being said, the problem seems to be with Amex posting the SQM, so there's no guarantee this would work.
The spend limit isnt the problem. And my statement ( received today) clearly shows well over 5k in qualified spending since my last qualification boost. I am not sure what the problem is. And Amex has created a ticket, ( which is almost certain to be in my favour to award the 1000SQM) but the points wont post retroactively if the ticket takes until Jan to resolve. They will be sent to Aeroplan ( and applied) the day AMEX sends the boost.

I even looked at a quick flight on the 27th ( the only day really, I have the schedule ) YOW to YHZ and return on a flex fare. I am just not confident the weather will co-operate !
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
I assume you've read the very first post in this thread. The answer is the same now as it was when that was posted, in 2009.
I agree... But, in my case I did actually "stick to my end of the bargain" and compete travel and CC spend to qualify.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:57 pm

The spend limit isnt the problem. And my statement ( received today) clearly shows well over 5k in qualified spending since my last qualification boost. I am not sure what the problem is. And Amex has created a ticket, ( which is almost certain to be in my favour to award the 1000SQM) but the points wont post retroactively if the ticket takes until Jan to resolve. They will be sent to Aeroplan ( and applied) the day AMEX sends the boost.

I even looked at a quick flight on the 27th ( the only day really, I have the schedule ) YOW to YHZ and return on a flex fare. I am just not confident the weather will co-operate !
Can you track how much you have spent on the AMEX (less returns) and how many SQM boosters you have received so far?
I wouldn't just solely rely on "having spent >5000 after the last booster", as the timeline can be rigged. I'd seek at least another way to calculate things just to double check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.