Wiki Posts
Search

1st class comparison question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 1999, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
1st class comparison question

This summer, I'll be flying Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Fairbanks. A coach ticket will be reimbursed by my company, but a first class will not be reimbursed. However, if I pay the difference between a cheapie coach fare and first class (I know it's expensive but I'm willing to pay for it or turn some partner frequent flyer miles for an upgrade) then my company would permit me to fly in first class.
If you've flown both Alaska Airlines and Air Canada in first class, then I'd highly appreciate it if you've could answer the following questions to help me decide whether or not I'll go first class on Alaska Airlines:

How does Alaska Airlines' first class compare to Air Canada's first class?

If it's not compatible to Air Canada's first class, then which airline's first class or business class does Alaska Airlines' first class compare to?

Is Alaska's first class better on their 737's or on their MD-80's (or is there no difference) ?

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 20, 1999, 7:58 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
Alaska is a great airline and has an excellent first-class. I've only flown in it once on a 737 and they served a full meal on a SFO-SEA flight. They look especially good compared to the dismal offerings of their primary competitor "Shuttle by United". That Alaska provides excellent service even on short-haul flights is admirable. (Unfortunately, I'm such a mileage junkie that I fly UA just to get the AC miles)

I've had no problems with AC's first class either and I'd recommend them as well.

I think you should check service offerings first - if AS is offering a meal where AC isn't - that might be the deciding factor (if food is important to you). Else I don't think it will matter much - as both are 2-class airlines and both are considering to be above-average by most. It's hard to compare the two as AS is short-haul and AC is (generally) long-haul.
Old Feb 21, 1999, 2:10 pm
Original Member

I think you're out of luck for airline choices - the only two majors that cover that route are Alaska and Delta. First class fares are about 4 times the price of a discounted economy.

Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.