Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Better service? What better service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better service? What better service?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:26 pm

Personally I prefer WestJet over AC because of how they've been loyal to Edmonton. For example, with WS I can fly:

Non-stop to six more domestic destinations than AC
1. Comox
2. Abbotsford
3. Victoria
4. Kelowna
5. Hamilton
6. Halifax

Non-stop to 3 more US destinations than AC
1. Las Vegas (year round unlike AC)
2. Phoenix
3. Palm Springs

Non-stop to 3 more Sun destinations than AC
1. Mazatlan
2. Puerto Vallarta
3. Cabo

The only flight exclusively served by AC is LHR!!
If AC wants Edmonton's business, give us more non-stop options.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Personally I prefer WestJet over AC because of how they've been loyal to Edmonton. For example, with WS I can fly:

Non-stop to six more domestic destinations than AC
1. Comox
2. Abbotsford
3. Victoria
4. Kelowna
5. Hamilton
6. Halifax

Non-stop to 3 more US destinations than AC
1. Las Vegas (year round unlike AC)
2. Phoenix
3. Palm Springs

Non-stop to 3 more Sun destinations than AC
1. Mazatlan
2. Puerto Vallarta
3. Cabo

The only flight exclusively served by AC is LHR!!
If AC wants Edmonton's business, give us more non-stop options.
You need to come on stopovers with PunishedEdmonton to YYZ and enjoy the city.. also we are a have not province bring your money.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Simon
Source please? Any WS executive who I have ever read an interview from, plus a certain poster elsewhere have always said: no way, no plans.

Simon
they also said no interline they have said no to a lot of things.

Things change. Next time West Jet will look in AC's garbage rather than steal computer information.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
And why the reference that one airline nickels and dimes its customers, while the other does not.

Both Airlines Offer:
B.O.B
Pillows and Blankets for Purchase

WS offers pay per view, while AC IFE remains complementary.

The playing field is fairly level, it all comes down to price and preference.
and friendly service, or lack of it.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Returning to the original post about carrier vs. carrier, this fluffy news hit the wires today.

In response I suspect AC will guarantee that all tounge lashings from dragons and front line staff are now available in both official languages.

"Ask about our new Surcharge sucharge"

The WestJet "Care-antee"
Airline sets a new Canadian standard in passenger care

CALGARY, April 21 /CNW/ - WestJet today introduced a comprehensive
"Care-antee", setting a new standard for service and value in the Canadian
airline industry.
"The WestJet Care-antee is a set of promises we vow to uphold in good
times and bad," said Bob Cummings, Executive Vice-President, Guest Experience
and Marketing. "It's a very public commitment to our guests that we will
continue to deliver exceptional service and value, especially now when they
need it most."
"So many things are changing right now and people are uncertain about
what they can expect from the companies they deal with in their lives,"
continued Bob Cummings. "The WestJet Care-antee is about showing our guests in
a very real way that these are the things they can expect from their airline,
in good times and bad."

<<
Promises in the WestJet Care-antee include:

- We will not charge you to change or cancel your flight for 24 hours
after you book
- We will not charge you for call centre bookings
- We will not overbook your flight
- We will not charge you for two checked bags
- We will have the lowest, change, cancel and pre-reserved seating fees
in Canada
- We will accommodate you if your flight is delayed. Even if it's
Mother Nature's fault
- We will fly you in the youngest all-jet fleet in North America
- We will provide live seatback TV on our flights
- We will give you ample legroom and overhead bin space
- We will publish our on-time, lost baggage and cancellation rates
- We will always let you know how we're doing as a company
- We will offer free online check-in and seat selection 24 hours before
departure
- We will allow you to transfer your credit files to friends or family
for free
- We will give you free snacks and refreshments on your flight
- We will always include smiles and thank yous. Always
>>

"The ability to change or cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking
at no charge is something new," said Bob Cummings. "We want our guests to be
able to book with confidence, secure in the knowledge that if something comes
up or they change their mind within that first 24 hours, they can change or
cancel their flight and they'll get their money back, no questions asked."
For more information about the WestJet Care-antee, please visit
westjet.com

Small print

This is the spot where you normally find all the rules and conditions.
But let's face it; stuff happens and things change. What we can promise is
that we'll do our best and do it with a smile.

About WestJet

WestJet is Canada's leading high-value low-cost airline offering
scheduled service throughout its 55-city North American and Caribbean network.
Named one of Canada's most admired corporate cultures in 2005, 2006, 2007 and
2008, WestJet pioneered low-cost flying in Canada. WestJet offers increased
legroom, leather seats and live seatback television provided by Bell TV on its
modern fleet of 79 Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft. With future confirmed
deliveries for an additional 42 aircraft, bringing its fleet to 121 by 2013,
WestJet strives to be the number one choice for travellers.

For further information: Media Contacts: Robert Palmer, Media Relations,
telephone: 1-888-WJ 4 NEWS (1-888-954-6397), e-mail: [email protected]
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Unfortunately AC have to compete with the low fare carriers.......simple. However instead of looking at their own feet and the other NA carries, maybe have a look at the europeans!

WS business model is very simple and is no different to various other low cost airlines. As I have spent many an hour flying back and forth on squeezyjet round europe, I am totally comfortable with WS. Atleast there is no scrum for seats on WS.

Even my wife is a fan of the little orange planes and she will forgive AC almost anything! Yes I have to buy my drinks and food, blankets and pillows are optional, but thats no different to AC or WS in economy.

And even she can explain the principle that planes on ground = losing money= no spare plane if this one breaks! Having sat in numerous lounges I am completely convinced that joe public believes that most airlines have a spare plane floating around to save the day!

And easyjet does more than most low cost carriers! you can arrive up to 12 hours early or 24 later and standby on to an earlier or later plane for free!

Even with my work as a consultant I am more likely to buy a cheaper, 50 bucks to change my plans ticket than a full flex economy. WHY? because my clients expect value for money and how do I justify spending 1000 dollars on a flex ticket if I don't use change features and could have flown for 300 on the same flights and paid 50 bucks to change??????

2 Facts:

The majority of people want to travel cheap and buy the extras they want.

Some people prefer to fly with more comfort (i.e. J class)

AC solution is to do something similar to Eurostar did

Economy fares were based on a similar fill the train strategy to the low cost airlines and if you want to tailor it a bit then that is going to cost you.

You want full economy, fine but it will cost you but you get all the flexability you want and still can choose which options. Maybe pop them in the front of economy

Leisure Business! - A non flexible business class ticket for that special trip! Non exchangable, non refundable but you get the perks of first. cheaper than fully flex economy......

Business Business - A fully flex ticket with options for a few extras (car to airport, in lounge dining, etc.)

As for the FF, points for all but status only on high level fare tiers.

Are AC brave enough to try this?????? Its already a proven and very sucessful model......

ps someone mentioned that RCMP officers were not allowed to get FFPs. This is the case for ALL government (crown?) employees! FFPs are considered a perk and encentive to use one company over another rather than best price!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Promises in the WestJet Care-antee include:
- We will not charge you to change or cancel your flight for 24 hours
after you book
WS finally matches what AC has been doing for years.

- We will not charge you for call centre bookings
Better than AC.

- We will not overbook your flight
This is spun as some sort of customer service initiative, but it really isn't. All it means is that WS does not sell refundable fares.

So there is good and bad in this depending on your perspective.

- We will not charge you for two checked bags
Same as AC.

- We will have the lowest, change, cancel and pre-reserved seating fees in Canada
They have a lower change fee than AC Tango fares ($50 versus $75), but a change made on the same day as the flight on WS costs the fare difference too. So on the day of the flight the change fee could be less on WS (if the fare difference is less than $100) or more on WS (if the fare difference is more than $100), since there will always be the $50 on WS no matter what. AC Tango fares have a flat $150 change fee for day of flight changes.

So WS can say they have the lowest change fee, but there are circumstances in which changing an AC Tango fare can be cheaper in total.

- We will accommodate you if your flight is delayed. Even if it's
Mother Nature's fault.
Content-free marketing-speak. All airlines accommodate you during any delay. You may not like the accommodation given.

- We will fly you in the youngest all-jet fleet in North America
- We will provide live seatback TV on our flights
- We will give you ample legroom and overhead bin space
No problem with that.

- We will publish our on-time, lost baggage and cancellation rates
Good.

- We will always let you know how we're doing as a company
Like all public companies.

- We will offer free online check-in and seat selection 24 hours before departure
Same as AC and other carriers.

- We will allow you to transfer your credit files to friends or family
for free
Very good option.

- We will always include smiles and thank yous. Always
Super. Unless...

This is the spot where you normally find all the rules and conditions.
But let's face it; stuff happens and things change. What we can promise is
that we'll do our best and do it with a smile.
...they don't.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by zorn
This is spun as some sort of customer service initiative, but it really isn't. All it means is that WS does not sell refundable fares.
While it is true that WS fares are not refundable, you can cancel your flight up until a few hours prior to departure and then you are issued a credit which can be used by yourself or someone else(unlike AC). What surprises me is how few late cancels WS seems to get.

Originally Posted by zorn
Content-free marketing-speak. All airlines accommodate you during any delay. You may not like the accommodation given.
Not true. Unless you buy AC's insurance product, you are on your own if the delay is weather-related. WS seems to be saying that even if it is weather related (mother nature), they'll look after you.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:31 pm
Suspended

WOW impressive. I am glad AC got rid of it marketing people! This is brilliant on West Jets part!^
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by The Lev
While it is true that WS fares are not refundable, you can cancel your flight up until a few hours prior to departure and then you are issued a credit which can be used by yourself or someone else(unlike AC). What surprises me is how few late cancels WS seems to get.
The only difference is that WS lets you apply the credit to anyone (which I said was very good). The fact remains WS keeps your money no matter what.

I've made use of refundable fares specifically for their refundability and I'm sure many others do as well.

And I don't think you really know how many late cancels WS gets.

Not true. Unless you buy AC's insurance product, you are on your own if the delay is weather-related. WS seems to be saying that even if it is weather related (mother nature), they'll look after you.
Of course that's what they want you to think.

In reality any airline will provide some degree of accommodation, which could be as little as putting you on another flight sometime, to ordering pizza for the TV cameras, right up to getting you a hotel. I'm sure a very lengthy anecdote fight could ensue with examples of all such accommodations offered, or not.

If WS puts in writing specific promises w/r/t meal vouchers, hotels, etc. for weather delays, let me know and I'll be happy to commend them for it.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:39 pm

Yes, WS gives out meals and hotel rooms (if available) in the event of weather-related delays. They have done so for years. And now you can get it in writing by clicking on the "Care-antee" (Yuck! I can't type that without cringing!) banner on their website.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I look at my brother-in-law based out of YYC.

Has some random fascination with WestJet and uses it all of the time for business.

If he flew AC, he would have easily made Elite, get access to (slightly) better rewards, upgrades, lounges, etc.

Instead, he flies WestJet, has no great access to redeem points seats for his family, and really for all his travel has nothing to show for it... other than that warm and fuzzy feeling for flying on a plane Captained by Captain Bob and First Officer Mike who are supper duper thrilled that he is flying with Westjet.

It seems to work for him, but for all that travel, you should be able to get something back (Elite, for example)
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I look at my brother-in-law based out of YYC.

Has some random fascination with WestJet and uses it all of the time for business.

If he flew AC, he would have easily made Elite, get access to (slightly) better rewards, upgrades, lounges, etc.

Instead, he flies WestJet, has no great access to redeem points seats for his family, and really for all his travel has nothing to show for it... other than that warm and fuzzy feeling for flying on a plane Captained by Captain Bob and First Officer Mike who are supper duper thrilled that he is flying with Westjet.

It seems to work for him, but for all that travel, you should be able to get something back (Elite, for example)
i love the random fascination reference...

maybe you should pitch your sister on AP reward travel for family vacations if he flies WJ that much...

WJ and AC Y are a wash imo... but if you do a lot of flying the benefits of E and SE and AVOD far outweigh the toilet paper bowling and TV offerings of WJ... but I do like that WJ will sing my kid a lullaby when she's crying to make her sleep...
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:44 am

and a CARE-ANTEE ? Really ?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot !

that's embarrassing.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Your basic premise "AC can't compete with WS on price" is a fallacy and has been disproven on many occasions. AC does compete with WS on price, on routes, on schedule, on awards program, on perks for regular customers. In fact, the only place AC doesn't match WS is in the image of being a homey, erthy, youthful company..corny jokes and all. AC's problem is that its cost base is higher than WS because it pays its workers better and actually gives them a pension plan, among other benefits WS doesn't bother with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.