Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada iPhone app

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Last night. Although I’m also getting the error @24left got when I try to retrieve my connecting LH boarding pass.
Question: why aren't you using the LH app for the LH BP? I've always done that for all of my tickets with connecting partners. Seems to work well with LH, LX, SQ, NZ, BR, OZ and UA. Not with TK. More bizarre, it worked with CX. And it worked on AC revenue tickets and Aeroplan tickets. And in most of these cases where I was able to get the partner BPs, AC's digital BPs were often impossible to get. As explained to me by some at AC "when there are partners on the PNR, AC gets messed up". Call me shocked.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:02 pm

Have just fought (and think I won) against the AC Mobile application to finally allow me to sign in with my ACMobile+ login (thanks AC data breach!) and have managed to import my upcoming flights with AC. Something I can't understand about the app is why the heck are there 2 accounts: ACMobile+ and érrorPlan? Here's to hoping we move to just signing in with our Altitude (err sorry I mean érrorPlan) login!

On a side note, does anyone know of any non-AC apps that allow you to import AC ticketed bookings, check-in and get boarding passes for them? I'm wondering if the UA app might let me do it since most of my flights these days are with them but haven't figured out how to do so!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by j2simpso
....On a side note, does anyone know of any non-AC apps that allow you to import AC ticketed bookings, check-in and get boarding passes for them? I'm wondering if the UA app might let me do it since most of my flights these days are with them but haven't figured out how to do so!
Why would you import an AC booking to another app, unless it's something like Tripit? Do you mean another airline app?

I pull up my UA BPs on the UA app using the UA PNR I got from AC. Same with some of the other *A partners I listed in my post above.

Are you trying to do something else?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Why would you import an AC booking to another app, unless it's something like Tripit? Do you mean another airline app?

I pull up my UA BPs on the UA app using the UA PNR I got from AC. Same with some of the other *A partners I listed in my post above.

Are you trying to do something else?
Just to clarify, I'm asking if I could pull up an AC itinerary entirely booked and ticketed through AC on a partner airline's app such as UA.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Just to clarify, I'm asking if I could pull up an AC itinerary entirely booked and ticketed through AC on a partner airline's app such as UA.
Have you tried it? Did it work? Why would you need to? Just curious.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:03 am

Have you tried it? Did it work? Why would you need to? Just curious.
Just tried it - didn't work! I wanted it to work cause it's so much nicer to have one * alliance app (UA) instead of an app for every damn airline!

-James
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100k
Once AC moves over to Amadeus, you will be able to manage your bookings on any airline website that also is on Amadeus. For example, you can manage BA bookings on the AY, LH, LO, etc websites. This is really useful, as different Amadeus airline websites have different capabilities (eg. the AY website allows you to change/remove FF numbers after entering them in a PNR, which the BA site doesn't allow). What I haven't tried, though, is to check in through another Amadeus airline -- not sure if it will process the checkin, send you to the operating airline's website, or not give you the option to check in at all.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: AC 75K
Question: why aren't you using the LH app for the LH BP? I've always done that for all of my tickets with connecting partners. Seems to work well with LH, LX, SQ, NZ, BR, OZ and UA. Not with TK. More bizarre, it worked with CX. And it worked on AC revenue tickets and Aeroplan tickets. And in most of these cases where I was able to get the partner BPs, AC's digital BPs were often impossible to get. As explained to me by some at AC "when there are partners on the PNR, AC gets messed up". Call me shocked.
AC was the first airline on my ticket, and trying the LH website wouldn’t work for me...it kept erroring out.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

AC was the first airline on my ticket, and trying the LH website wouldn’t work for me...it kept erroring out.
Hmmmm. Looking at all of my LH digital BPs, I was able to get all of them from the LH app when the first sectors were AC and BR. But on trips in 2018, I noticed a bit of a pattern with LH, UA and NZ. Despite having each PNR, and well within the OLCI, it wouldn't work. Then I discovered while in the LH FCL in FRA, that once the concierge there did the docs check, I was then able to pull up the LH F BP on my phone. Exact same thing happened on a couple of trips on NZ last year and also UA. I could get the digital BP once the lounge agent (NZ) or GA for UA in AKL for eg. did the docs, the digital BPs were available. I can guess the reasons, but it doesn't matter if I find a pattern and it gets done. AC was the first sector on the outbounds all of these trips and my only opinion was that's a real PITA.

A small other detail I noticed as well, in some cases, I can't check in on the partner website, even with the PNR, but it all works perfectly on the partner app. I've had these experiences with SQ and BR, but then they've done updates to their websites and stuff happens there too.

I still find it interesting that LH can also pull up SQ in their app, UA can pull up NZ, SQ can pull up UA but AC can barely get it's own BP issued in the app when there is a partner on booking. And yes, I am well aware that part of why many of the others work and play well with each other is Amadeus. Understanding it all is above my pay grade and frankly, I think most fliers just want these things to work and don't care why they don't. And it's not all perfect at OW either. And of course, there is always the card stock BP that doesn't break when you drop it.
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I can't believe how lacking the AC iOS app is in basic functionality years after the current iteration was released.

1. Even after you've loaded a booking into the app, no 'check in now' button appears at T-24 in the check-in or bookings section of the app. You have to fill in the PNR & departure city manually even though the app knows you have a flight eligible for check-in. At least it remembers your name.

2. Booked / checked-in flights don't automatically appear in the 'status' section, you once again have to add them manually as if the app doesn't know you're on that flight.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I can't believe how lacking the AC iOS app is in basic functionality years after the current iteration was released.

1. Even after you've loaded a booking into the app, no 'check in now' button appears at T-24 in the check-in or bookings section of the app. You have to fill in the PNR & departure city manually even though the app knows you have a flight eligible for check-in. At least it remembers your name.

2. Booked / checked-in flights don't automatically appear in the 'status' section, you once again have to add them manually as if the app doesn't know you're on that flight.
These are minor concerns compared to the big thing most Western airlines miss which is the idea of requiring a check in. Whereas NH will gladly check you in automatically once you have your traveller details set, every North American airline I've been on be it AA, UA, WS, etc. require you to go through the formalities of check in be it at the airport or on your mobile device. I would suspect that if you're a dime a dozen SE100K, AC has more than enough information on you to process the check in automatically at OLCI opening up.

-James
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Nearly had a heart attack checking in on the app at T-24, where I could add the PNR to my upcoming bookings, but when I click "check in now", it says "can't find the reservation" and asks me to input the PNR, and then fails to find it even with that, and then it gives me this splash banner saying "departing YYZ? Arrive 3 hours early ..." and I'm thinking "wait, did I redeem this FP credit in the wrong direction?"
Searching my emails for the PNR confirmed I booked correctly, and I was able to check in via link in the email on the website. /panic
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
These are minor concerns compared to the big thing most Western airlines miss which is the idea of requiring a check in. Whereas NH will gladly check you in automatically once you have your traveller details set, every North American airline I've been on be it AA, UA, WS, etc. require you to go through the formalities of check in be it at the airport or on your mobile device. I would suspect that if you're a dime a dozen SE100K, AC has more than enough information on you to process the check in automatically at OLCI opening up.

-James
LX offers automatic checkin, but that’s the only western airline I’m aware of offering it. Not that I’ve flown all of them by any means. Automatic checkin is not high on my list of wishes for the AC (or any other) iPhone application however.

With very few exceptions, I select my seat in advance so OLCI at 24 hours or 8 hours doesn’t make a huge difference. And I doubt any automatic checkin app would automatically pick a good seat for me anyway, when I went to do it at check in (ie BA) , well wifi isn’t hard to come by these days.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
LO also offers automatic check-in, but only if you're not flying long-haul.

EDIT: I just checked the LO web site, and it's not long-haul that's excluded -- it's any destination that requires APIS (US, GB, CA, RU, JP, etc).

Last edited by SuperCargo; Mar 3, 2019 at 3:56 pm Reason: Correcting myself
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
LO also offers automatic check-in, but only if you're not flying long-haul.
DL offers it in NA too. Doesn’t work for Canada to USA for obvious reasons but otherwise it is pretty nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.