Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada iPhone app

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
Although I'm not a fan of that happening, if the app developer wants to include the functionality shouldn't they have the requirement to divulge this to me in their privacy statement? And yes, most people, including myself, will probably just gloss over it and check the "I agree" box.

But at least Apple worries about my privacy, Apple tells app developers to disclose or remove screen recording code - TechCrunch
At some level though, the fact that you actually book a flight is obviously going to have some kind of record somewhere that you booked a specific flight through the app, for a specific name, with a specific credit card number. They may be storing it in a different way (a PNR), but the data's all the same as what would be included in a series of screenshots.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:42 pm

AC App Caught Spying on Users

Spotted on TechCrunch earlier today:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/06/ip...y-screenshots/

It would appear that the AC mobile application uses the Glassbox to secretly take screenshots of users using their application which could later be used for analysis. Quoting from the article:

The App Analyst, a mobile expert who writes about his analyses of popular apps on his eponymous blog, recently found Air Canada’s iPhone app wasn’t properly masking the session replays when they were sent, exposing passport numbers and credit card data in each replay session. Just weeks earlier, Air Canada said its app had a data breach, exposing 20,000 profiles.

“This lets Air Canada employees — and anyone else capable of accessing the screenshot database — see unencrypted credit card and password information,” he told TechCrunch.
This perhaps might explain the AC data breach from a couple of months ago. Food for thought!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Spotted on TechCrunch earlier today:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/06/ip...y-screenshots/

It would appear that the AC mobile application uses the Glassbox to secretly take screenshots of users using their application which could later be used for analysis. Quoting from the article:

This perhaps might explain the AC data breach from a couple of months ago. Food for thought!

Safe Travels,

James

Yup, posted in the AC iOS App thread yesterday

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30748124-post740.html
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Sorry, missed that this had already been posted elsewhere.

Last edited by Livyer; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:38 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
does it only apply to iOS users? how about android?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dirkster
Don't ask... While Apple professes to believe in privacy to some extent, google is clearly a bigger spying organization than the CIA or the FSA. Not just third parties as it was the case with the AC app, but themselves. Disable the google spyware, chrome stall, when firefox just ignores and goes on. What will it take for peole to recognize that they have willingly let their privacy be compromised, to the benefit of advertisers and large organizations such as airlines and amazon. And obviously google.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dirkster
The Android app also uses (used?) Glassbox. Whether it had the same issue of not masking sensitive fields, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Don't ask... While Apple professes to believe in privacy to some extent, google is clearly a bigger spying organization than the CIA or the FSA. Not just third parties as it was the case with the AC app, but themselves. Disable the google spyware, chrome stall, when firefox just ignores and goes on. What will it take for peole to recognize that they have willingly let their privacy be compromised, to the benefit of advertisers and large organizations such as airlines and amazon. And obviously google.
Or just wear a tinfoil hat.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
The app will not add boarding passes to the wallet anymore. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by cavitron
The app will not add boarding passes to the wallet anymore. Has anyone else experienced this?
I added a BP for my flight today to my Apple Wallet. It took a while to do it, but it worked.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I've had issues with the app even issuing the BP.
So I go back and check in via mobile browser. Sometimes it works.
Or, I go back and check in on the desktop browser and get the email with the links.
And sometimes even if it shows I'm checked in, I get this nonsense.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I added a BP for my flight today to my Apple Wallet. It took a while to do it, but it worked.
What time did you do that? The AC website is having issues now so I am wondering if it is related to that?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE
What time did you do that? The AC website is having issues now so I am wondering if it is related to that?
It does the same for me. It keeps twirling but nothing happens and I eventually get tired of waiting so I just kill the app and go grab a beer instead.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by jasdou
It does the same for me. It keeps twirling but nothing happens and I eventually get tired of waiting so I just kill the app and go grab a beer instead.
i hope it is not a $16USD crappy beer?

I have resorted to using Flightaware to track my flights tonight.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
Are you assuming they can?

Also, almost all of the iOS app updates contain the words "General bug fixes..." The AC app wastes battery as it twirls around, it takes forever to load the current trip, slightly less than forever to load the list of trips and has 1/10th of the information that the UA app offers and significantly less features than BR, SQ, LX, LH and the other airline apps I use. IMHO.

I am in awe of the constant "Invalid Password/ credentials" window that pops up, only to be perfectly fine if I quit the app and then re-open.

Plus, lots of fun trying to do OLCI in the app. Take me less time and I get better results using the AC mobile website and check-in.

But I digress...

Haven't checked in here for a while....in this thread. I thought it was just me. I'm experiencing all of these. The iPhone app has gone from being one of the best, to one of the worst.

Did IBM take it over or something?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Last night. Although I’m also getting the error @24left got when I try to retrieve my connecting LH boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.