Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Conspiracy theory behind cancelled flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:00 am
Original Poster

OK, so here's my conspiracy theory for today:

Last week, Air Canada cancelled the 9am flight from LGA-YUL, citing "mechanical problems".

When I told friends in Montreal about it, a few of them told me their recent AC flights had also been cancelled for "mechanical problems".

So here's the conspiracy part: If a flight's not full enough, would Air Canada cancel that flight - citing "mechanical problems" - and just dump everyone on the following flight?

Or is this just air-travel-induced paranoia?

Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:22 am

If true, what would Air Canada tell the flight crew. What would the flight crew tell their family? How would they contain "the conspiracy".

Think staff schedules, unions, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Believe it or not, airplanes really do experience mechanical problems.

Airline systems are complex webs of interconnecting operations and schedules. That plane was supposed to be in YUL to fly the next flight. The airline had to find a replacement aircraft and crew. Then backfill for that one. Then... Then figure out what to do with an extra aircraft at LGA (it's not like LGA is a hub for AC).

The pain of rescheduling is likely much more painful than saving, what, 324 flight miles of fuel?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:27 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to our Air Canada forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Having long ago watched while an aircraft carrier flight and hangar decks had to be "respotted" for a down a/c, a complex evolution involving many and no little planning, I don't put much credit in your conspiracy theory (or most others for at matter). Can you imagine the complexity of "respotting" an entire fleet of a/c to accommodate a down bird sitting not where it was supposed to fly, but back where it was supposed to have long departed?

The complexities of moving a/c around to fill a hole are much greater than any savings from a cancellation. Even at DFW, AA's hub, spare a/c are fewer than hen's teeth, and even when available, often the wrong bird to be hurled into the breach (although I've seen an old MD80 or two serve as "Forlorn Hope", when there were no other alternatives and over water not required)
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by exmontrealer

Thanks.

Yes it is.

Do a search around the AC forum...lots of postings and multiplie confirmations from an AC lurker, that they do not ever cancel flights due to low loads.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
The conspiracy theory can only possibly be true if an airline has a substantial surplus of planes (and staff to operate them).

In fact, airlines have entire departments dedicated to figuring out how to keep the planes in the air as much as possible with a goal of not having a single surplus plane in the fleet and not a single employee out of place on the company's dime.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Yes it is.

Do a search around the AC forum...lots of postings and multiplie confirmations from an AC lurker, that they do not ever cancel flights due to low loads.
Maybe not, but into busy airports like LGA when they are experiencing long ground holds at far-flung airports while waiting for slots, it is common for airlines to combine flights when appropriate.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
And if you are looking for a conspiracy, I think weather is often a better excuse for the airline, as their responsibilities to the passenger are less ie compensation & food & hotel coverage, than when there is a mechanical problem
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:53 am
Original Poster

This is why I love Flyertalk - I learned more from the replies to this post than from most of my flying experiences. Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:37 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by exmontrealer
OK, so here's my conspiracy theory for today:

Last week, Air Canada cancelled the 9am flight from LGA-YUL, citing "mechanical problems".

When I told friends in Montreal about it, a few of them told me their recent AC flights had also been cancelled for "mechanical problems".

So here's the conspiracy part: If a flight's not full enough, would Air Canada cancel that flight - citing "mechanical problems" - and just dump everyone on the following flight?

Thanks.
Of course AC would cancel a light flight. WestJet, United, all the carriers do it. They're a business, not a public service.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by cur
Of course AC would cancel a light flight. WestJet, United, all the carriers do it. They're a business, not a public service.
Only problem is that the theory doesn't hold water. Air Canada has a limited number of aircraft. After that LGA->YUL flight, that same aircraft will then be scheduled on YUL->YYZ, then from there to who knows where.

So, as you say, they are a business. By calling a cancellation due to mechanical failures, the airline is then responsible for hotels and/or making alternate arrangements for the pax and they have to locate a replacement aircraft to fill in the hole left by the stranded aircraft. Furthermore, they will eventually have to ferry that aircraft out of LGA in order to rejoin the fleet, undoubtedly flying it without pax, costing them almost the same as flying it with some pax, but obtaining zero revenue.

If they see that a given route has low load factors, the only thing they will do is reduce the frequency of the route and/or downsize the equipment used on that flight. End of story.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by cur
But not sitting idle at a foreign city (New York-LGA) at 9 am in the morning. The aircraft is required at home base (YYZ or YUL) for a full days rotation of flying. Mechanical.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
The conspiracy theory can only possibly be true if an airline has a substantial surplus of planes (and staff to operate them).
But they have lots of extra planes. They just keep them hidden. Some government compound in New Mexico I think.

Don't you know anything about conspiracies?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
But they have lots of extra planes. They just keep them hidden. Some government compound in New Mexico I think.

Don't you know anything about conspiracies?
They are parked in Area 51 !!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.