Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legal Drinking Age

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Legal Drinking Age

Odd question here... but my nephew just informed me that he's leaving for Paris in about a week for school. He'll be flying Executive First from YYZ. He lives in Chicago and just turned 18. He told me that the legal drinking age in France is 16... I don't know if that's true or not. Anyway, he asked me if he'd be able to drink on either of the TATL flights. As always, thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC 35k
YYZ is in Ontario where the legal drinking age is 19. If he were flying out of YUL in Quebec, he'd be okay because the drinking age is 18. I don't think you can be admitted into the MLL unless you are the age of majority, since the drinks are freely available.

As for the flight itself, I'd expect that AC would abide by Canadian rules, but since that varies by province and isn't federal, I'm not really sure if he'd have to be 18 or 19 on the plane.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Misplaced priorities

To hell with the provincial regulations...he's old enough to die in Afghanistan for CANADA, give the boy a drink and get on with it. Praise the puritanical nitwits that try to legislate common sense, but don't have a word to say about the breakdown in family values, or the incredible high school drop-out rate. Speak to your kids, explain to them how and when alcohol should be consumed, and don't worry about what some pencil-pusher in his own ivory tower has to say about it.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:06 pm

I checked the Canadian Aviation Regulations, specifically CAR 602.04 that deals with alcohol consumption on board an aircraft, and see nothing about a minimum age. That leads me to believe the airline would follow the legal age in the province of departure. I could be wrong, though.

Another thing to note: If he is flying back through YYZ before his 19th birthday, tell him not to bring any alcoholic beverages with him as he will have to abandon them at the border.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I always assumed it was 19 for AC. Obviously, as a Canadian airline, they would have to follow Canadian law. However, I would think that to make it consistent, they would just settle at 19.

If he was on AF, however, he would be able to drink once in the air, I believe.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Anybody with legal training in this area care to advise?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I thought it was the higher age between the 2 points. Ie between Canada and USA no matter which direction the legal age will be 21. Afterall, the a/c could always be forced to turn back. Either way, I doubt he will get ID'd, maybe at the lounge, but I doubt he will be ID'd on board.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by shore9
I doubt he will be ID'd on board.
Not sure what the FA training or official procedure says, but I've seen an FA request ID prior to serving alcohol to "youthful" pax.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by aa440
Not sure what the FA training or official procedure says, but I've seen an FA request ID prior to serving alcohol to "youthful" pax.
I was offered beer on a french airline at the age of 13

Of course my mother told them no.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shore9
I thought it was the higher age between the 2 points. Ie between Canada and USA no matter which direction the legal age will be 21. Afterall, the a/c could always be forced to turn back. Either way, I doubt he will get ID'd, maybe at the lounge, but I doubt he will be ID'd on board.
Wow, I'm suprise that can happen just for a minor asking for alcohol. I'll definently tell him to not screw around. Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:03 pm

I just tried to find the answer using information available to call centres. I can't find anything. That's going to bug me now. Will let you know if I find it.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by sletohdarnoc
Wow, I'm suprise that can happen just for a minor asking for alcohol. I'll definently tell him to not screw around. Thanks everyone.

No, no, I'm pretty sure the poster did not mean that the A/C would be forced to turn around because of him asking for booze - it could be some other reason. But all the same even if the A/C did turn around - all beverages would be cleaned up before landing so an underage PAX may have booze in their system but that's not against any law as far as I know. I'd say just have him ask on the A/C I'm pretty sure I was drinking on board by 18. Officially though, I've got no idea seems reasonable though for it to be 18. I don't think the A/C aren't licensed by the LLBO (the liquor licensing board in Ontario) so the 19+ rule may not apply. Either way, the A/C isn't being turned back because of it..
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
No, no, I'm pretty sure the poster did not mean that the A/C would be forced to turn around because of him asking for booze - it could be some other reason. But all the same even if the A/C did turn around - all beverages would be cleaned up before landing so an underage PAX may have booze in their system but that's not against any law as far as I know. I'd say just have him ask on the A/C I'm pretty sure I was drinking on board by 18. Officially though, I've got no idea seems reasonable though for it to be 18. I don't think the A/C aren't licensed by the LLBO (the liquor licensing board in Ontario) so the 19+ rule may not apply. Either way, the A/C isn't being turned back because of it..
Hah, that's good news. I was very suprised that that could happen.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I was always under the impression that for the purposes of serving alcohol, when in the air, it was treated as if you were in the country the airline is from. So, for example, on AC, it would be 19, whether going within Canada, to the US or other. I know that a few years ago when flying BA, YYZ-LHR, friends of mine who were 18 (and looked it, maybe younger) were served without issue.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RESGIRL
I just tried to find the answer using information available to call centres. I can't find anything. That's going to bug me now. Will let you know if I find it.
Thanks for the hospitality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.