Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Spent $5000 for Executive fare to HK, now AC wants another $25 for changing seat!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spent $5000 for Executive fare to HK, now AC wants another $25 for changing seat!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
AC apologists may not get this, but they cannot deny the FACTS.

Airline ticketing is very specific.

Once a 014 ticket is issued, the airline enters into a contract between themselves and the passenger(s). It's their legal obligation to deal with the passenger. The passenger has no legal contract with the agent.
Even more: the agent is actually an agent *of the airline.* He formally represents the airline. Under a formal contractual arrangement. He is not a representative of the passenger.

This said, them charging a fee nowadays may somehow cloud the issue and even result in a conflict of interests.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Even more: the agent is actually an agent *of the airline.* He formally represents the airline. Under a formal contractual arrangement. He is not a representative of the passenger.

This said, them charging a fee nowadays may somehow cloud the issue and even result in a conflict of interests.
Unlike some, I won't pretend to be a lawyer, just a lowly TA myself but have read enough conditions of carriage to know the contract to be between passenger and airline, not passenger and TA and renumeration for services rendered by a TA won't change that fact in any way.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by sharkshooter
I figure, if you can afford $5,000 for a ticket, what are you complaining about another $25 for? You probably rounded the ticket price off by more than $25 when you said it cost $5,000 anyway.
why does there always have to be a poster like this with a glib response to the issue which misses the point entirely? Seriously

Love the post about re-booking on UA and sending the new itin to AC with an explanation.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Unlike some, I won't pretend to be a lawyer, just a lowly TA myself but have read enough conditions of carriage to know the contract to be between passenger and airline, not passenger and TA and renumeration for services rendered by a TA won't change that fact in any way.
Action of an authorised agent is binding on the principal.

I am not a lawyer. But I always see "authorised agent of xxx airline" decals at travel agency windows. On the other hand, passengers pay a fee directly to the travel agent for booking services. Isn't it the case that you work for whoever pays you?

Therefore, are travel agents "dual agents" that a conflict of interest is created when airlines eliminated the commission? Who are the travel agents working/"acting" for?

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 20, 2008 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure what your numbers are.

(OK, that was a cheap shot, just could not resist.)

No argument that there is a contract between passenger and airline. In which the TA acts as the agent of the airline.

However, if in addition there is a consideration paid by the passenger to the TA, what is it for? Isn't there an implied contract somewhere? Which might result in conflicting obligations on the part of the TA? All about serving two masters. (Or two jealous mistresses. )

But no, I don't have an answer, just throwing into the air dirt that everyone would rather keep under the rug.

Don't take it personally.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:11 am

Unlike some, I won't pretend to be a lawyer....
One of life's small blessings!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not sure what your numbers are.

(OK, that was a cheap shot, just could not resist.)

No argument that there is a contract between passenger and airline. In which the TA acts as the agent of the airline.

However, if in addition there is a consideration paid by the passenger to the TA, what is it for? Isn't there an implied contract somewhere? Which might result in conflicting obligations on the part of the TA? All about serving two masters. (Or two jealous mistresses. )

But no, I don't have an answer, just throwing into the air dirt that everyone would rather keep under the rug.

Don't take it personally.
I don't. Everyone is an expert at my job, after all.

I just know that there isn't one set of T&C for tickets bought directly from the airline and another for tickets purchased through a TA.

I am not a lawyer. But I always see "authorised agent of xxx airline" decals at travel agency windows. On the other hand, passengers pay a fee directly to the travel agent for booking services. Isn't it the case that you work for whoever pays you?
I always understood that term to be denoting an authorized seller/retailer of airline X tickets. If you see a sign at Home Hardware that they say they are an authorized agent for Loewen Windows do they represent that manufacturer to the consumer? Is HH acting as a representative of Loewen? What if they charged an order fee?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
One of life's small blessings!
Touché.

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by robsawatsky
Nice retort but the rules are clear if stupid.

AC could solve this by allowing people to access and modify their seat selections on-line, like several other airlines do, regardless of where the ticket was purchased.

Maybe IF and WHEN they get their new reservation system in place, some of these features will show-up on-line.
So you're suggesting that AC spend additional monies to improve their IT so they can forego some revenue and instead perform some work that they are currentyly sluffing off onto other parties?

Yeah, that'll work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.