Wiki Posts
Search

Rebate?? Doubt it...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, SPG-P
Rebate?? Doubt it...

So I am the proud owner of a Rapid Air unlimited pass product however the following would apply across the board for the unlimited products. Really what you are buying when you buy one of these passes is the "potential" to book as man flights a you want in a given period. Now I am certain it is covered in the fine print somewhere and equally certain someone will helpfully quote that fine print however... when AC cuts 10-12% of their flights they are cutting 10-12% of the potential I purchased. I think you can see where I'm going here. On the $8500 or so I will spend on the 3 month pass that is a healthy chunk I feel I'm owed. And don't think it isn't noticeable. YYZ-YOW has dropped significantly in frequency which was as often as every hour and during some parts of the day is now every 2 hours using smaller aircraft. Not to mention the benefit of upgrades which disappear when a CRJ is used in place of a E90 or even 320. Lastly, they have eliminated one of the four destinations allowed on this pass when they shut down Hamilton...

Just a thought...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 1:40 am

Programs: AC E
I suspect that at best, they'd refund the unused time on the pass (and you'd probably have to fight pretty hard to even get that much). I can't imagine them giving you that 10%-12% refund and letting you continue to use the pass.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 2:58 am

Although had I purchased one of these passes and been YHM-based (with a record of YHM-YOW/YUL to prove it), I would hope AC would refund un-used time... that would be reasonable.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
you are essentially buying a "demand" pass. It has nothing to do with locking in supply. As long as AC offered at least one flight available to the pass, they are effectively still offering you "unlimited" access to fly.

Caveat Emptor, I say - airline schedules have never been engraved in stone.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by canadaeastRM
So I am the proud owner of a Rapid Air unlimited pass product however the following would apply across the board for the unlimited products. Really what you are buying when you buy one of these passes is the "potential" to book as man flights a you want in a given period. Now I am certain it is covered in the fine print somewhere and equally certain someone will helpfully quote that fine print however... when AC cuts 10-12% of their flights they are cutting 10-12% of the potential I purchased. I think you can see where I'm going here. On the $8500 or so I will spend on the 3 month pass that is a healthy chunk I feel I'm owed. And don't think it isn't noticeable. YYZ-YOW has dropped significantly in frequency which was as often as every hour and during some parts of the day is now every 2 hours using smaller aircraft. Not to mention the benefit of upgrades which disappear when a CRJ is used in place of a E90 or even 320. Lastly, they have eliminated one of the four destinations allowed on this pass when they shut down Hamilton...

Just a thought...
Are you sure about that YYZ-YOW gauge and frequency? It looks hourly to me. I checked August 21 because I have a day trip and September 12, and both days appear to have hourly service on Airbus and Embraer aircraft. The Hamilton issue might be more relevant, but you basically have vast availability between the metro areas of Ottawa and Toronto.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Interesting question especially with regards to YHM as removing that destination surely makes the pass less valuable to some.

Other than using smaller planes (no 763's for a number of months near as I can tell), I have yet to see any change significant change in AC's schedule on this route...there tend to be some gaps late at night and on the weekends but during the bulk of the day they still seem to be scheduled every hour or more (the timing of the late night flights seems to fluctuate anyway -- I've had bookings change on those flights a few times this year).

Unless I'm mistaken the only time you see CRJ's on this route is on Sat and Sun during some times of the year and this has been the case for at least a few years now.

Of course since it's only cheap T and T+ fares for me, I tend to book a month or more in advance. Perhaps AC is filling it's planes sooner thus creating gaps in the available schedule (which no doubt could be a result of using smaller planes on the route).
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadaeastRM
So I am the proud owner of a Rapid Air unlimited pass product however the following would apply across the board for the unlimited products.
Still proud of the product you bought with the unilateral decision that AC makes with regards to it's products?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.