Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Misspelled collegue name on ticket; should I expect problems?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, Aeroplan

Hi all,

Here is the deal. I'm going on a domestic business trip in Canada in a few weeks with a collegue and I accidentally misspelled his name when booking our tickets. I simply substituted a I for a Y in his first name.

I booked both tickets at the same time on aircanada.com while logged into my account so I assume it's actually only 1 ticket for the both of us. I also correctly input his AP number.

Should I expect any problems from AC? I looked on thier web site and it's not possible to correct my mistake that way, do I need to call them and have his name correctly spelled out or does it not matter since it's close enough and the full ticket/ (PNR?) was booked under my account which has the correct info.

Thx!

Max
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Changing a name on a ticket is do-able but incredibly difficult. Your frind will likely be able to fly, but he also likely won't get any AP miles posted to his account because of the spelling.

I think the only way to change the name is to call and have them do it. Last time I did that though it took 3 - 4 escalations before someone with enough authority could do the change. The process was adequately pleasant (they were all very understanding on the phone and they were all trying) but it seems that it takes someone of great authority to make name changes on tickets.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. If within 24 hours of purchase, phone them and have them change it.

2. In any event, even if past 24 hours, it may be that having them put a comment in th file could be useful.

3. Apart from the risk that they might not let him travel, they might also not properly credit Aeroplan miles.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Unless his name changed from something mundane like byn Laden to something sinister like bin Laden, I don't see it being an issue at all for a domestic flight.

What would be really hilarious if you changed his name to something girly like Candi or Brandi (with a heart over the i).

AC is only going to care if it looks like you are trying to fly the wrong people on the wrong tickets (in general) or if they will be on the hook for a big fine if they fly someone to another country that refuses to let them immigrate. That is clearly not the case here.

I wouldn't go any further than asking them to make a note of it. I wouldn't even do that. I'd just check in and play dumb if they even notice.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Max007
I booked both tickets at the same time on aircanada.com while logged into my account so I assume it's actually only 1 ticket for the both of us. I also correctly input his AP number.
Nope, one ticket per passenger and nowadays it's of the electronic variety. You can see both E-ticket numbers on the email confirmation you received as well as the ac.com reservation you can access.

FWIW, I would recommend calling AC and at least asking them to note the correct name however given it's for domestic travel it shouldn't be a big deal so not to worry.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, Aeroplan
Thanks for the info.

Any chance they would do the change for free (I'm just past the 24 hours time frame). Also, any chance I can have that taken care of by calling at the priority access phone number I have at the back of my Prestige AP card (yes i know, that amount to barely more that ZERO status...).

Max
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would not call the airline or try to do anything whatsoever at this point with the tickets other than to carry on as if everything is fine. Just go about your normal travel routine and don't worry about it.

Hi all,

Here is the deal. I'm going on a domestic business trip in Canada in a few weeks with a collegue and I accidentally misspelled his name when booking our tickets. I simply substituted a I for a Y in his first name.

Should I expect any problems from AC? I looked on thier web site and it's not possible to correct my mistake that way, do I need to call them and have his name correctly spelled out or does it not matter since it's close enough and the full ticket/ (PNR?) was booked under my account which has the correct info.

Thx!

Max
Domestic or international travel, for a mistake like that I wouldn't even worry about it. The biggest issues would usually be that the check-in agent can't find your itinerary -- but using the record locator solves that problem -- and that the FF mileage credit might not register automatically -- but usually that's not an issue as long as they either force in the frequent flyer number or the passenger is willing to put in for missing mileage credit.

I wouldn't waste my time any further worrying about it if in your shoes and wouldn't even call the airline about it in advance. If you can do self check-in, that's best as then it's likely that no one will even notice whatsoever; even if you don't do self check-in, the agent might not even notice the issue unless they have trouble pulling up the record based on trying to pull it up first on the basis of the last name or a swipe of something you hand them.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for the info.

Any chance they would do the change for free (I'm just past the 24 hours time frame). Also, any chance I can have that taken care of by calling at the priority access phone number I have at the back of my Prestige AP card (yes i know, that amount to barely more that ZERO status...).

Max
Sorry but once e-tickets go past the 24 hour mark anything AC would do would be something more like noting the correction on your PNR rather than go the whole way and reissue the ticket, which I don't is in no way necessary for domestic travel. BTW, while you each have you own e-tickets, you will share one PNR. I would try calling the elite desk but am sure it's not going to be all that much faster than regular reservations, especially as Shareholder notes in this thread if the elite numbers printed on the back of the cards are incorrect.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*E
I wouldn't worry too much - our corporate travel agent missed a letter in my first name a few months ago on an international ticket. I was worried since the name on the ticket didn't match the name on the passport, but didn't have any problems.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Hey I did the same thing on UA last month and they fixed the ticket by reissuing it... but we were flying international. Oh by the WAY N/C.

Phone the nice people at AC they will fix it.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would not call the airline or try to do anything whatsoever at this point with the tickets other than to carry on as if everything is fine. Just go about your normal travel routine and don't worry about it.

Domestic or international travel, for a mistake like that I wouldn't even worry about it. The biggest issues would usually be that the check-in agent can't find your itinerary -- but using the record locator solves that problem -- and that the FF mileage credit might not register automatically -- but usually that's not an issue as long as they either force in the frequent flyer number or the passenger is willing to put in for missing mileage credit.

I wouldn't waste my time any further worrying about it if in your shoes and wouldn't even call the airline about it in advance. If you can do self check-in, that's best as then it's likely that no one will even notice whatsoever; even if you don't do self check-in, the agent might not even notice the issue unless they have trouble pulling up the record based on trying to pull it up first on the basis of the last name or a swipe of something you hand them.
I do not agree with your response. These days, with the heightened security (even with domestic flights), if your colleague shows up, it is possible entry can be denied by an overzealous CATSA agent through security, or by an overzealous gate agent for boarding.

I would just contact Air Canada - an honest mistake should be changed, without fee. There have been a few times that my daughter has been mistakenly booked as my son - I had no trouble changing that.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would overzealous CATSA agents care? They don't even compare the name on the BP to any form of identity.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:21 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Not sure if it is typical of all airport printed boarding passes but at IAH on Wednesday the NTSA guy was complaining that AC does not print first name on boarding passes. I examined the boarding pass and confirmed that the only name was my last name. So in fact as long as the last name is the same I could have been anyone.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Not sure if it is typical of all airport printed boarding passes but at IAH on Wednesday the NTSA guy was complaining that AC does not print first name on boarding passes. I examined the boarding pass and confirmed that the only name was my last name. So in fact as long as the last name is the same I could have been anyone.
At least on web check in, they do include first name. Also in recent regular ones at least at Canadian airports.

Last edited by Stranger; Jun 13, 2008 at 12:05 pm
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Why would overzealous CATSA agents care? They don't even compare the name on the BP to any form of identity.
You are right.

I meant to say that if someone was going from/within USA, then the TSA agents do compare the name on a photo id with the name on the boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.