Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Boeing delays delivery of 787/777s to Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing delays delivery of 787/777s to Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Guess which airline will carry more passengers next summer? Hint : It's the one that has reacted to passenger demand of price over comfort w/ Rouge and 10 abreast 777 seating.
Passengers did not demand them. And Air Canada is not offering lower fares as a result of this.

Air Canada's shareholders demanded more margin and AC is making what is basically a stealth product switch. Customers will react later after they have had experience with the product, or those of us who inform ourselves in advance will (and have) reacted in advance by staying off of them.

As long as AC has their market dominance guaranteed in Canada they can pretty much do whatever they want to the customers because there are just not any options for some people.

I am lucky that I can drive over the border and fly with Delta for 1/3 of the cost on what will be a similar product to somewhere like Las Vegas.

So please don't say this is about AC offering a better price, the price is ridiculous compared to the carriers that they're trying to emulate now for service, and the difference will go to their bottom line.

At the moment they have a great reputation because the product has been superior to other carriers in North America, now that they are going the same sardine can route that will likely change. So for the moment they'll surf on the reputation of a better product than what they will be delivering.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Actually, you're the one who needs to take the time and read posts thoroughly.

My point that you bolded was you think the majority of passengers share your buying habits (i.e, willing to pay a premium). I'd suggest reading posts in context before being so quick to respond.
Sorry if I confused you, but my point has NEVER been that most people have the same buying habits as me and has always been that there is definitely a segment of FF (like myself) that does not buy the cheapest Y fares and could, therefore, be subjected by HD seating - how big that segment is, I guess, is the question. Also since this segment is more cabin savvy than the masses they will, I think, avoid HD like the plague.

I hope the HD experiment backfires big time, time will tell.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by tyberius
Passengers did not demand them. And Air Canada is not offering lower fares as a result of this.
You're playing games. PAX didn't "demand" them - OK - they refused to pay unit fares inline with a (comfortable) 349-seat 777 to Paris. The new aircraft configs don't allow AC to offer lower fares, they allow AC to turn money losing routes into money makers with current fares

Air Canada's shareholders demanded more margin and AC is making what is basically a stealth product switch.
More margin??!?? AC had ZERO profitable years between 2005-2012. ZERO

I am lucky that I can drive over the border and fly with Delta for 1/3 of the cost on what will be a similar product to somewhere like Las Vegas.
Why not fly DL ex Canada? AC has a higher cost structure than DL. Not only does AC have to compete with lower cost airlines ex Canada, they also lose passengers to bordertown USA

So please don't say this is about AC offering a better price, the price is ridiculous compared to the carriers that they're trying to emulate now for service, and the difference will go to their bottom line.
I don't know what this means

I know I come across as an AC apologist/defender. I'm not. I hate all Corp Exec compensation and AC is as gross as the rest. I found their OTP disgusting. There are lots of reasons to dislike AC. I just think they have a right to do what is necessary to return value to their shareholders - as crude as Rouge and 460-seat 777s might be.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Aug 9, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
As long as AC has their market dominance guaranteed in Canada they can pretty much do whatever they want to the customers because there are just not any options for some people.
I guess that is why we are seeing the business class race in the US now...lie flats and suites transcontinental!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Regardless of its density or capacity, anytime AC gets new aircraft is a special moment (777HD, not so much for FTers).

I'll probably have flown on a UA, LOT, or ANA Dreamliner by then, but it'll still be exciting to see it in AC colours.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by newcdn
No its not. The order was always a mix of 788 and 789, but the exact breakdown was not known to public. Initially it was roughly 50/50 split between 788 and 789, but Boeing has upgraded some 788s to 789 in the form of compensation for delayed deliveries. Thus, 22 B789s and only 15 B788s.
How do these differ? 788 vs 789, one has more seats ?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:28 am

More margin??!?? AC had ZERO profitable years between 2005-2012. ZERO

Do you attribute this to AC charging less than others and/or that the service was too good and therefore too expensive?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
How do these differ? 788 vs 789, one has more seats ?
789 is bigger with more seats.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:21 pm

On the Toronto Airport Logs site, they’ve got details for AC’s 787’s showing up. First one in March! http://www.yyznews.com/787.html
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
Regardless of its density or capacity, anytime AC gets new aircraft is a special moment (777HD, not so much for FTers).

I'll probably have flown on a UA, LOT, or ANA Dreamliner by then, but it'll still be exciting to see it in AC colours.
Given that we already know AC is going for the sardine can 17" wide seats in Y a few questions do remain:
1) what will the new J seat look like? - I'm still hoping for something like the CX seat
2) how many J seats will there be? - I'd bet less than in the 767s
3) will the Y seat pitch be cut to 31"? (as in the 77HDs)
4) how many PE seats will there be?
5) based on their success with the 77HDs will AC do away with washrooms completely?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
Given that we already know AC is going for the sardine can 17" wide seats in Y a few questions do remain:
1) what will the new J seat look like? - I'm still hoping for something like the CX seat
2) how many J seats will there be? - I'd bet less than in the 767s
3) will the Y seat pitch be cut to 31"? (as in the 77HDs)
4) how many PE seats will there be?
5) based on their success with the 77HDs will AC do away with washrooms completely?
Or you may just be pleasantly surprised
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Or you may just be pleasantly surprised
Impossible!!! I read here all the 77W were being retrofitted to HD config .... And the 787s were coming w/ 30" pitch ....... And 787 J was going to be reduced to a dozen seats ........ And they're adding aux tanks on CRJ200s and using them TATL to save costs ......... LOL.

The one poster who actually has insight has hinted at a nice config on the 787 yet the HD theories keep coming. And if AC 787 arrives spec'd out closely to LAN and their 9 wide by 32" Y pitch, all the whining here will subside (for a day or two)
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Impossible!!! I read here all the 77W were being retrofitted to HD config .... And the 787s were coming w/ 30" pitch ....... And 787 J was going to be reduced to a dozen seats ........ And they're adding aux tanks on CRJ200s and using them TATL to save costs ......... LOL.

The one poster who actually has insight has hinted at a nice config on the 787 yet the HD theories keep coming. And if AC 787 arrives spec'd out closely to LAN and their 9 wide by 32" Y pitch, all the whining here will subside (for a day or two)
I certainly hope the 787s come up with a reasonable configuration..

But no matter what, mixing different products such as the sardine cans and more decent configurations under the same product description ends up in a very confusing marketing message. Likely a price to pay.

At the very least the sardine cans ought to be sold as Rouge.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC SE
Any word on when they'll be announcing the 787 configuration and initial routes? If they're going to be receiving them in the first half of 2014 (which I think is the latest timing), I'd expect we should see something soon?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
Any word on when they'll be announcing the 787 configuration and initial routes? If they're going to be receiving them in the first half of 2014 (which I think is the latest timing), I'd expect we should see something soon?
Rumor at SMD5 seemed to be late-Dec/early January. They'll also be announcing a 777 retrofit program at or near the same time. Though probably not for the 5 HD ones.

I have no idea what's coming, but the AC staff that knew were decidedly proud of what they are rolling out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.