Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: Winter cuts YVR-KIX, YYZ-FCO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Though we have a rumor thread on YVR-KIX, the fact Rome is out for the winter should justify starting a new thread with this confirmation from AC:

Rome and Osaka service suspended with winter schedule. We continuously review the performance of our operations and make adjustments to our schedule as necessary to ensure the most profitable deployment of our assets. The unrelenting record high price of fuel makes this activity more critical than ever as flying that is profitable with fuel at $80 per barrel (Sept. 2007) may no longer be viable when the cost of fuel reaches more than $115 per barrel. As part of this ongoing process, a decision has been taken to suspend service on two routes whose financial performance has not met expectations in this new environment. Suspension of service will coincide with the decrease in travel demand during the off-peak winter season. Aircraft currently operated on these routes will be re-deployed to respond to more profitable market opportunities elsewhere.
Toronto-Rome non-stop service will therefore be suspended effective Oct 26, 2008 (last flight YYZ-FCO Oct 24; last flight FCO-YYZ Oct 25). Based on current economic forecasts, we plan to resume Rome flights as demand increases effective spring 2009 for the peak summer season. In the meantime, Air Canada will continue to serve Italy via FRA, ZRH, and MUC, in cooperation with our Star Alliance partners. In addition, we will withdraw Vancouver-Osaka non-stop service until further notice, effective Oct. 26, 2008 (last flight YVR-KIX Oct 24; last flight KIX-YVR Oct 25). Air Canada will continue to serve Japan with up to twice daily non-stop flights between Canada and Tokyo, from Toronto and Vancouver. Air Canada offers codeshare services throughout Japan operated by our Star Alliance partner, ANA, via Tokyo.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
WOW I wonder where the planes will GO... Are they to be parked or will AC have some new routes...
I dont imagine the 763 will be used for SUN Charters?
Old May 2, 2008, 11:07 am

YVR - NRT is also going to 763 this winter instead of planned 77W.

2nd Daily YYZ - FRA is switch to 763 instead of maintaining 77W
Old May 2, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Completely mystified by the seasonal suspension of FCO, yet MAD is starting up in June and running through the winter season. Go figure! FCO flights always packed but with the shift of AZ from MXP, perhaps too much winter capacity.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Completely mystified by the seasonal suspension of FCO.
People who applaud after landings are not the same ones who make the airlines money.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Just because the a/c is full it does not mean it is necessarily a hugely profitable route. The YVR/KIX route seemed to be quite empty in J (at least by looking at KVS) and J is where they can make their big bucks. Maybe they will start up KIX again with domestic 762's.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:35 am
Original Poster

MAD flights can link with a partner - Spanair - and provide broader coverage. And Spain is a decent winter tourist destination. AC actually has more coverage of Italy via FRA than it has via FCO, and it has more coverage of FRA - nonstops from YUL, YOW, YYC and YVR as well as YYZ. I've always heard that FCO is like a charter route. Everyone flies on the cheapest fare, with little paid J traffic.

As for where the KIX and FCO planes will go, AC has to cover MAD plus dedicated services for EXE and SCL. If the 762s are removed, there is also the question of using 763s for Hawaii since the Airbus narrowbodies aren't suitable for that service.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
For FCO, it depends on what the LAT and J sales are like. Low business travel generally means low profits and maybe the "next best alternative" is using the plane on the MAD run instead.

Sad about KIX being killed off since I was looking at going.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:16 pm

Don't forget they have cooperation with AirOne in Italy.

Originally Posted by Sebring
MAD flights can link with a partner - Spanair - and provide broader coverage.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Given what's going on with the cost of fuel, it promises to be a very challenging year. Those routes which were previously "marginal" become unprofitable, and many which were profitable become marginal.

FCO has always had very steady loads in both classes even through the winter. Perhaps shifting the aircraft to the now vacant YYZ-MXP market would present an opportunity. Increased StarA connections at MAD might help to boost and sustain that market.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by zorn
People who applaud after landings are not the same ones who make the airlines money.
Well put.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Sebring
...Air Canada will continue to serve Japan with up to twice daily non-stop flights between Canada and Tokyo, from Toronto and Vancouver....
That's a pretty lame level of service to one of the world's largest economies.
Old May 2, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Just out of curiousity I wonder how many other airlines practise this type of a "hibernation activity" during low season?
Old May 2, 2008, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Just out of curiousity I wonder how many other airlines practise this type of a "hibernation activity" during low season?
Finnair for one. Countries with frigid climates shift capacity to seasonal hot spots during the winter.

As far as YYZ goes - add Malev and Czech Airlines to the list.
Old May 2, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I would go out on a limb to say the majority of airlines would do some type of seasonal adjustments, matching demand with overall capacity.

In these days of increased fuel costs, I'd wager you'll a whole lot more of it. A few US airlines are shelving routes that haven't even launched yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.