Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Sports equipment registration on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Just a few observations:

This seems pretty unnecessary, overall, I'm not sure which other airlines do this.

I made the call and registered my stuff (ski bag) for my upcoming set of AC flights to/from Canada. So all is taken care of, but why do this?

The agent said that regardless of status or class of service, this must be done to avoid the various baggage charges, etc. I have never had a similar experience on LH, LX, UA, NH, or other * carriers. They simply accept my ski bag (which I travel with quite often) without any questions.

All bookings not on the AC website require the phone call, whereas if the itinerary is booked on the AC website, there is a web form for the registration.

Anybody have any input on this?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:43 am

I find this whole sports equipment policy rather confusing.

On the AC site, they state that the registration can help you avoid excess charges for a limited number of selected items such as skis. However, it sounds like other items (canoes, surfboards etc.) are subject to excess charges regardless of registration.

However, I recently traveled to MEX with my hang glider (short-packed, 2m long), get to the airport prepared to pay the $80 oversize charge, and the check-in agent tells me: "Oh well, I wouldn't have to charge you if you had registered it in advance!". Hmmm... He ended up being very kind and waiving the fee. Thank you, definitely didn't expect that! ^

On the way back, MEX check-in was outsourced so no one even knew about the oversize fees and the glider rode for free once more.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
One of the stupider revenue generating projects AC has come up with. Most people are not aware of this need to register and it can't help but create a ton of ill will and delays upon check-in.

I can't imagine what they do differently in operations by knowing X pairs of skis/bikes whatever will be on the flight. either the stuff fits or it doesn't - and I'd be mighty pissed if my equipment didn't show up after either a) registering it in advance or b) paying them to take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.