Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Sorry sir. You can't use your mouse"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.

OK, That's a first!

SFO-YYZ-CDG yesterday, picked off twice for using my mouse with my laptop.

They were nice about it. However, It's the same mouse I've used for 8 years on many different airlines and that is the first time ever.

8K for a biz ticket and they want to put me out of business. Unfortuntely, the computer program I'm running is not possible without a mouse.

I'll admit that it's a cordless mouse, but it is the same one that's gone with me over 75 times around this lovely planet. Interference? I have my doubts. The range is perhaps 10 feet which gives and indication of the signal strength.

AC better review that policy. If I'm spending full fare biz money, I need to ensure I'm productive while I'm doing it! I'll try again with a corded mouse on the return but that policy is proposterous!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
If any airline has let you use a cordless mouse in the past you should consider yourself lucky. It is very clear NO transmitting or receiving functions once airborne. Bluetooth or IR devices have transmitting or receiving functions.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:32 am

A further thought... I was on a US Air flight from CLT-ATL a few weeks ago and the FA was coming through prior to landing and told this guy to turn his blackberry off. His response was that it was off. It wasn't. It may have been in flight mode but that wasn't the request and that wasn't the time. Below 10,000' (approx) all electronics are to be off. We know this. Why can't people pay attention? The FA came by 3 times and even got another one and they all asked him the same question. His response every time was... It is off.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Certain electronic devices have negligible radio transmission and may be used during flight,with the exception of taxi, take-off and landing.

Portable computers (without peripheral devices i.e. modem, printer, mouse or any other device wired to the laptop)

These are Canadian Aviation Regulations that are handed down to the airlines, and IIRC the safety demo video also reiterates the ban on peripheral devices.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by climmy
OK, That's a first!

SFO-YYZ-CDG yesterday, picked off twice for using my mouse with my laptop.

They were nice about it. However, It's the same mouse I've used for 8 years on many different airlines and that is the first time ever.

I'll admit that it's a cordless mouse, but it is the same one that's gone with me over 75 times around this lovely planet.

AC better review that policy. If I'm spending full fare biz money, I need to ensure I'm productive while I'm doing it!
So basically what you are saying is, you are frustrated/mad that the airline finally enforced their policy and that if they don't change their policy (that everyone else lives with) you're going to spend your money elsewhere? Cya. Bye. Have fun.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
There is always the option of buying a mouse with (gasp!) a cord. Might cost all of twenty dollars.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
A further thought... I was on a US Air flight from CLT-ATL a few weeks ago and the FA was coming through prior to landing and told this guy to turn his blackberry off. His response was that it was off. It wasn't. It may have been in flight mode but that wasn't the request and that wasn't the time. Below 10,000' (approx) all electronics are to be off. We know this. Why can't people pay attention? The FA came by 3 times and even got another one and they all asked him the same question. His response every time was... It is off.
Do you take the battery out of your watch too?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmax
Advocating disrespect of the rules? Off is off.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: AEROPLAN
Originally Posted by pmax
+1
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: AC Elite
Is anyone aware of any *evidence* to support all of these hysterical blanket reactions?

In hospitals, it used to be totally forbidden to use cellphones. Now, not only do we allow it, it is being actively used by nurses and doctors as a great communications tool in the very areas of the hospital (ICUs) used to be thought as the "highest risk" areas! (link)

Hilarious, and I suspect it is exactly the same thing with planes.

It always irks me that I can't listen to my iPod until cruising altitude, and that I can't listen once landed. This is so I must listen to the silly messages we've all heard a million times...Sigh
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by propofol
... and that I can't listen once landed.
The general idea is that there be nothing between your ears and the voice of the flight attendant who is shouting instructions that are going to help you find your way out of a smoke-filled cabin ...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anyone aware of any *evidence* to support all of these hysterical blanket reactions?
I submit it is not for individuals to judge whether the rules make sense or not.

As long as they are on the book, I submit I have every right to expect fellow passengers on my flight to be considerate enough to follow them, period.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
There's obviously a simple solution here - get a corded mouse or just use the trackpad on your laptop.

But with respect to the no transmitting thing, sure it's good to take precautions. But honestly, everything on an aircraft is sheilded. If it wasn't we'd have much larger issues to deal with when flying! It really is time to work this issue more constructively. Airlines / aircraft manufacturers can and really should come up with minimum guidelines on acceptable wattage of devices. Then they can work with industry to come up with "aircraft certified" products.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:04 am

In hospitals, it used to be totally forbidden to use cellphones. Now, not only do we allow it, it is being actively used by nurses and doctors as a great communications tool in the very areas of the hospital (ICUs) used to be thought as the "highest risk" areas! (link)

Hilarious, and I suspect it is exactly the same thing with planes.

It always irks me that I can't listen to my iPod until cruising altitude, and that I can't listen once landed. This is so I must listen to the silly messages we've all heard a million times...Sigh
Not all hospitals are the same.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
The general idea is that there be nothing between your ears and the voice of the flight attendant who is shouting instructions that are going to help you find your way out of a smoke-filled cabin ...
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.