Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on *A

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, SPG-P
Upgrades on *A

If your itinerary begins on AC but connects w/ *A partner does and upgrade carry through to that portion of your trip?

Ex.) AC to Frankfurt - Connects to LH to Bangalore - would an upgrade cert. put my in Business all the way to Bangalore or just to Frankfurt?

Thanks in advance...
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
No joy

From my experience, just to FRA. You need a separate upgrade cert for any continuing flights. Alliance upgrades are much more difficult to use then they used to be. Good luck!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:08 pm
akk

Programs: AC*SE SPGPlat PCPlat HHSilver
IIRC, you want to make sure that your Canada-FRA segment is on AC metal. If it is an AC codeshare on LH metal, then your upgrade cert won't work.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 7Continents
From my experience, just to FRA. You need a separate upgrade cert for any continuing flights. Alliance upgrades are much more difficult to use then they used to be. Good luck!
Uh?

You can only upgrade on AC-operated flights, period.

No certs for other airlines, and as far as I can remember, it always was like that. No harder or easier than it used to be.

Only opups. Which may be getting harder to get, but still occasionally occur. Mostly status-based and unrelated to upgrade status of the first leg.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger

No certs for other airlines, and as far as I can remember, it always was like that. No harder or easier than it used to be.
Hi Stranger, back in the 90s, the upgrade certs were also good for LH and UA...
I believe that AC is also the ONLY carrier left in STAR not offering upgrades... hence the op is probably confused as if he was with any other STAR carrier he would be eligible to do this.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I believe that AC is also the ONLY carrier left in STAR not offering upgrades... hence the op is probably confused as if he was with any other STAR carrier he would be eligible to do this.
I first made elite around 97 or so. Must have been before that then?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
I first made elite around 97 or so. Must have been before that then?
IIRC it was around 94. Perhaps someone else will recall?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:20 pm

I thought there were several STAR airlines not participating, including United, which recently opted out.

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52232,00.html
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I thought there were several STAR airlines not participating, including United, which recently opted out.

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52232,00.html
From the Miles and More Website,

You can book an upgrade award with these airline partners:

Adria Airways, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways (ANA), Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines Group*, Condor, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines*, Lufthansa*, SWISS, Singapore Airlines**, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways International, United, Air New Zealand
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:19 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
From the Miles and More Website,

You can book an upgrade award with these airline partners:

Adria Airways, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways (ANA), Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines Group*, Condor, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines*, Lufthansa*, SWISS, Singapore Airlines**, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways International, United, Air New Zealand
This list is good, but upgrades on Condor are only possible for M&M members.

There is a nice table on www.staralliance.com that shows the FF programs you can use to upgrade on *A members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.