Wiki Posts
Search

US - Int'l transfer at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US, HYATT, SW
US - Int'l transfer at YYZ

Travelling ORD to YYZ and then YYZ to LHR this Thursday. I have read the website info and realize I wish I was doinf this itinerary after Jan 30th, but would like some advice on how to expedite my transfer. I also did a search here but most info was from 2005 or involved going from Int'l to US and not other way round.

Main reason is I am travelling J and I would hate to not take advantage of the MLL and a few free bevvies prior to departure.

I am on AC506 from ORD landing at approx. 1600 and on AC856 leaving YYZ at 1810. Any advice on how to hustle through the airport to the lounge etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am checking one bag but from what I understand that goes straight through.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by everton_flyer
Travelling ORD to YYZ and then YYZ to LHR this Thursday. I have read the website info and realize I wish I was doinf this itinerary after Jan 30th, but would like some advice on how to expedite my transfer. I also did a search here but most info was from 2005 or involved going from Int'l to US and not other way round.

Main reason is I am travelling J and I would hate to not take advantage of the MLL and a few free bevvies prior to departure.

I am on AC506 from ORD landing at approx. 1600 and on AC856 leaving YYZ at 1810. Any advice on how to hustle through the airport to the lounge etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am checking one bag but from what I understand that goes straight through.

Thanks in advance.
Be warned: I haven't done this kind of itin in nearly a year so things may have changed. Perhaps. So double check. But I used to do this often so I know the drill.

Most important tip: get both boarding passes when you check in at ORD.

If your experience is at all like the ones I've had in the past you're in for two terminal transfers. You'll land in one infield terminal and then wait for a bus to take you to the main arrivals terminal where you will need to clear immigration. If this is indeed the case there is not much you can do but stew while you sit in the bus waiting for everyone to get off the plane. Position yourself near a door of the bus and you can be the first off the bus and that way you can clear customs quickly.

Your bag should be checked through as you say so no need to wait after immigration; just go straight through customs. Turn left as you leave and walk ALL the way down the long hall to the security checkpoint. There you will need to clear security and then you will continue to waiting room where you wait for a second bus, which will take you straight to the other infield terminal. (In the past you actually would have had two more transfers ahead of you so this is an improvement.)

Once in the second infield terminal you can, if you wish, go to the MLL but my guess is that by this time your flight will be boarding and frankly the MLL there is (or was) no great shakes and so you may as well just claim your seat and ask for an extra glass of bubbly on the plane as you try to stop sweating from the mad rush of the preceeding transfers.

Good luck!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Flights to London are more likely to leave from T1 than the infield terminal. You will have to come through customs with your bag but then you can recheck it unless you carry it on board like most of the rest of us do to avoid the wait at LHR.

Assuming your flight is at a 1xx rather than 5xx gate, you take the bus from T2 to T1, go through security, and immediately to your left after security is the elevator up to the lounge which is looking a little worn but is still nice. The distance from the lounge to the 1xx gates is short, ten minutes to get to your gate should be plenty.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jrlevine
You will have to come through customs with your bag but then you can recheck it unless you carry it on board like most of the rest of us do to avoid the wait at LHR.
Incorrect. If booked on the same ticket, you should be able to check your bag from ORD through to LHR and not have to see it at YYZ at all.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I flew LGA-YYZ-LHR

I had to pick up my bag, go through customs/immigrations and recheck the back before heading to my YYZ LHR leg
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:56 pm

Don't guess

READ THIS

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...t/toronto.html
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:07 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by everton_flyer

Thanks in advance.
Your bag will go straight through.
After you exit customs/immigration at T2 (506 is mainline) turn left and keep going to the end of the building. Clear security and hop on shuttle bus, you will be dropped off airside at T1.
I may be wrong, but AC856 from the IFT is not likely. (competition BA092)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.