Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super Elite for ~ 8000 USD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
Super Elite for ~ 8000 USD

I was just thinking that if one wanted to cheat the system, and had the time to dedicate to doing 50 short roundtrips in the states one could ear SE status in a short span of time and for little expense. I am not advocating this, as this would encourage AP/AC to dilute benefits even more! US carriers make it easy to earn elite status. As the shuttles between NYC and BOS or PHL or Washington DC are roughly 150USD round trip if booked at the right time one could nest segments and easily do 50 round trips in the span of a week to two weeks. Now I see why the US airliners are in the dumps and FFP programs are being diluted further and further. For this plan one would earn 50k EQM and 100 segments. Not the type of traveller that they are intending to get SE status!

Just a thought!

Happy travels!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:55 am

That's not "cheating" the system at all. Rather, it is working the system. And it's also what this board use to be all about.

You could probably do it for even less, if you pick itineraries with lots of connections. In fact with the purchase of the 'right' passes, you could probably do it all within Canada and mostly in J class, perhaps for even less than $8K USD.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
good point about "working" the system! i think it would be interesting to figure out what the cheapest way was to aquire SE status in the shortest amount of time!?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Oh these callow newbies...never heard of the Baht Run so of course they'd think they've just invented the wheel!

The cheapest/fastest way to SE is to book a UA Sin Run ex-ORD or points further east when the fare reaches U$900. Fly it five times, nesting your tickets so you do quick turnarounds -- sleep for a few hours at the SIN Transit hotel -- or spend a day or two before heading back to NAmerica. New fare rules require 7-day stay rather than the old rules that only required 2-/3-day stay. But it's all a matter of endurance and how quickly one wanted to complete the circuits... Even with hotels it can be done for less than OP's plan.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:26 am
ALW

One of the nice things about the OP's plan is that it could be done on weekends or otherwise without missing work (much like the old 150 segments YYJ-YVR or YOW-YUL on a RTW ticket idea). The SIN run does mean less time in airports, waiting areas, and on tarmacs.

=aw
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:32 am
Suspended

I was thinking $8000 USD is quite a bit for 100K.

You should be able to get that under $3K, and if the deals are good - $2K.

The real trick is to do it in C while still keeping the price low.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
You can get a North American unlimited 6-month pass in Latitude for 6100 Cdn plus taxes. All segments flown are upgradeable automatically within 24 hours of flight. For each month of the pass, the passenger will learn 15,000 status miles (does not matter whether actual miles were flown) - that's 90,000 status miles without doing any work.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Scott218
You can get a North American unlimited 6-month pass in Latitude for 6100 Cdn plus taxes. All segments flown are upgradeable automatically within 24 hours of flight. For each month of the pass, the passenger will learn 15,000 status miles (does not matter whether actual miles were flown) - that's 90,000 status miles without doing any work.
I'm afraid that's 6100/month for a total of 38,796.00 (inc GST)!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer
As the shuttles between NYC and BOS or PHL or Washington DC are roughly 150USD round trip if booked at the right time one could nest segments and easily do 50 round trips in the span of a week to two weeks.
While I have actualy thought about your plan, I know a couple of guys who commute BOS - NYC twice a week, and wouldn't even consider it "working" the system. They certainly feel as if they're earning their status all right. One of them, once he has top tier on US each year, flips over and goes Amtrak to top off his status on Continental.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: AC Elite, Asia Miles, HH
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf

You should be able to get that under $3K, and if the deals are good - $2K.

The real trick is to do it in C while still keeping the price low.
$8k USD i can't do... $3k i can!

Okay.... I'm really interested in this possiblity. You can get SE for under 3K? Wow! And can you do it from YWG? LOL. I might have to add $500 just to get to YYZ or YVR!

Anyhow... that's nuts! I'd really like to know.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
That wasn't even for 100k miles, it was for 100 segments.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by visitor
I'm afraid that's 6100/month for a total of 38,796.00 (inc GST)!
Oops. I just realized that.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:08 pm

I was just thinking that if one wanted to cheat the system, and had the time to dedicate to doing 50 short roundtrips in the states one could ear SE status in a short span of time and for little expense. I am not advocating this, as this would encourage AP/AC to dilute benefits even more! US carriers make it easy to earn elite status. As the shuttles between NYC and BOS or PHL or Washington DC

Just a thought!

Happy travels!
I'd recommend the LAS-PHX-LAX area w/ US or UA Ted. Less prone to delays, better weather, better prices. I've booked numerous LAX-LAS returns for less than $100 CAD all in.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

$3k for super elite? i would love to hear how that one works!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
$3k for super elite? i would love to hear how that one works!
If you take CloudsBelow 's example:

LAX-PHX-LAS-PHX-LAS = 4 segments for C$ 120 (depending on season)

4 x 25 = 100 segments = Super Elite for C$ 3,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.