Search

Few basic questions flying AC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:42 pm
CGK
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Question Few basic questions flying AC

Past few weeks, I have taken two roundtrips YVR-NRT in J-class. I do have questions for the regulars here.

1. With J-tix, is it enough for acceptance at AC MLL at YVR? When I am taking SQ or LH in J, I get into the lounge based on BP's class of service. But so far, twice on AC, I have the J BP, and the lounge staff asking me whether I have a *G status card. Since I don't have any status on AC, and I am crediting my AC flight to LH M&M, I gave the staff my SEN card. One of my friend commented that it seems AC MLL will charge LH for my usage in the lounge. What do you think?

2. Do you think the crew can tell whether a pax is a paid J, or flying on an award, or on an upgrade? The reason I asked, because in one of the flight, one of the FA said to me, how lucky I was, to get last minute UG. This was puzzled me, because I had a J tix (I don't have any instrument for UG on AC flights). Perhaps, the FA got mixed up.

3. How long does it take for the miles to be posted on LH M&M account? So far I did not see any miles credited yet after the first segment 3 weeks ago. But my transborder flights are pretty quick in getting posted.

4. On my flight NRT-YVR couple days ago, before the door closed, I noticed row 2 middle sections were empty. I was in 2C. I asked the FA whether I could moved to that empty seats. She asked the purser. She never came back, but the purser moved the pax in 1D (without any seatmate) to 2D instead. I am confused.

5. Is it always family with children will be assigned in row 1 or 2? I am just curious, because that's what I noticed in my flights.

Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by CGK
Past few weeks, I have taken two roundtrips YVR-NRT in J-class. I do have questions for the regulars here.

1. With J-tix, is it enough for acceptance at AC MLL at YVR? When I am taking SQ or LH in J, I get into the lounge based on BP's class of service. But so far, twice on AC, I have the J BP, and the lounge staff asking me whether I have a *G status card. Since I don't have any status on AC, and I am crediting my AC flight to LH M&M, I gave the staff my SEN card. One of my friend commented that it seems AC MLL will charge LH for my usage in the lounge. What do you think?
The paid J BP is sufficient to get you into the lounge. If you hadn't had any *G credentials you would have been admitted. My best guess is that the lounge agent was simply acting out of habit, since the vast majority of lounge users will have non-J BP credentials.

I can't answer your other questions. There are cabin crew lurkers who could enlighten us about what information they have on pax. Aside from that your experiences would appear to be on-off events on your particular flights.

For example, perhaps the other pax was moved to the empty seat you were eyeing because of some seat defect on his original seat. Who knows what happened.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by CGK

I'll let FTers answer your questions 1 and 3 being a flight-attendant I have more insights on your other questions.

2. Do you think the crew can tell whether a pax is a paid J, or flying on an award, or on an upgrade? The reason I asked, because in one of the flight, one of the FA said to me, how lucky I was, to get last minute UG. This was puzzled me, because I had a J tix (I don't have any instrument for UG on AC flights). Perhaps, the FA got mixed up.

3. How long does it take for the miles to be posted on LH M&M account? So far I did not see any miles credited yet after the first segment 3 weeks ago. But my transborder flights are pretty quick in getting posted.

4. On my flight NRT-YVR couple days ago, before the door closed, I noticed row 2 middle sections were empty. I was in 2C. I asked the FA whether I could moved to that empty seats. She asked the purser. She never came back, but the purser moved the pax in 1D (without any seatmate) to 2D instead. I am confused.

5. Is it always family with children will be assigned in row 1 or 2? I am just curious, because that's what I noticed in my flights.

Thank you!
2. We can tell wether a passenger has been upgraded at the gate as a specific code appears on the passenger manifest. I can only guess that the crew misread the manifest or confused you with another passenger. The way the seating chart is displayed on the manifest is slightly confusing ( AC DF on one half and DF HK seats on the other half). It requires some "collage" to be done in order to have a somewhat accurate image of the cabin. Maybe a simple chat with the crew as to what s/he meant would have clarified the situation?

4. I can see why the crew would have offered the passenger to move back one row from 1D to 2D. 1D (and 1F) are at the bulkhead closest to the galley, right in front of the main screen, no under seat storage and on some of the configuration very close to a washroom. Unfortunately I regret to be unable to tell you why they omitted to follow up with you or give you an explanation. Though again, you could have followed up with the in-charge/service director.

5. It's not so much that bulkhead seats are assigned to families, it's more families who select them. At the bulkhead we can provide them with a cot for the little ones. And since we've all been babies one day and we all know that kids can get excited (to say the least) sometimes, at least at the bulkhead small children don't have the opportunity to bang/kick the seat in front of them. That will not happen so much in the future since the new configuration does not feature "bulkhead" seats per say in J.

http://www.aircanada.com/fr/about/fleet/772.html

I hope I was able to help a little. Thank you for your business!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:15 am
CGK
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply.

Originally Posted by upfront01
2. We can tell wether a passenger has been upgraded at the gate as a specific code appears on the passenger manifest. I can only guess that the crew misread the manifest or confused you with another passenger. The way the seating chart is displayed on the manifest is slightly confusing ( AC DF on one half and DF HK seats on the other half). It requires some "collage" to be done in order to have a somewhat accurate image of the cabin. Maybe a simple chat with the crew as to what s/he meant would have clarified the situation?
If you know me in person, you would understand why I would not pursue for clarification. It's not in my nature to come up to chat with the crew and asking about this. I don't like to be perceived as a pita. I know that if I have the status on AC, the crew would recognize me better. I noticed that the FAs are putting extra attention for those SE pax in my flights. But, yes, I earned a point for being a smiley and happy pax, according to one of the FAs in the galley.

4. I can see why the crew would have offered the passenger to move back one row from 1D to 2D. 1D (and 1F) are at the bulkhead closest to the galley, right in front of the main screen, no under seat storage and on some of the configuration very close to a washroom. Unfortunately I regret to be unable to tell you why they omitted to follow up with you or give you an explanation. Though again, you could have followed up with the in-charge/service director.
The service director went around the cabin after the plane took off. I could not say anything about the seating request, because she came to my row, and she said to the guy seated in 2A, she heard about his complaint to one of the FA. She understood, but there was no compensation form available, other than just a comment card. I gathered the guy was upset that he could not upgrade his traveling companion when there were 3 or more seats open in J.
Then, the service director, turned to me, and asked me straight into my eyes by saying, whether I have something to complain about. I told her everything was fine.

I hope I was able to help a little. Thank you for your business!
Once again, thank you for the reply. Are you going to be on duty for AC15 next Thursday? Will try the A345 this time. Longer route, but since I will have a traveling companion, it would be better to do so.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by CGK

Once again, thank you for the reply. Are you going to be on duty for AC15 next Thursday? Will try the A345 this time. Longer route, but since I will have a traveling companion, it would be better to do so.
I understand all your points and respect your choice to remain sort of "anonymous". I guess we all have different styles.

I would be delighted to take you on your A345 ride to HKG as I haven't been there for quite some time, but I'm actually based out west and I'm a "domesticated" boy

YEG, YOW, YYZ etc... home away from home
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:08 am
CGK
Original Poster

I would be delighted to take you on your A345 ride to HKG as I haven't been there for quite some time, but I'm actually based out west and I'm a "domesticated" boy

YEG, YOW, YYZ etc... home away from home
Hmm actually I will take a domestic AC156 YVR-YYZ next Thursday to catch that AC15. Would love to spend a night at YYZ, but my traveling companion has a date at YYZ, thus no possible room-sharing. But the most important thing is that I can't leave my baby till late afternoon.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, US, HYATT, SW
Originally Posted by zorn
The paid J BP is sufficient to get you into the lounge. If you hadn't had any *G credentials you would have been admitted. My best guess is that the lounge agent was simply acting out of habit, since the vast majority of lounge users will have non-J BP credentials.

I can't answer your other questions. There are cabin crew lurkers who could enlighten us about what information they have on pax. Aside from that your experiences would appear to be on-off events on your particular flights.

For example, perhaps the other pax was moved to the empty seat you were eyeing because of some seat defect on his original seat. Who knows what happened.

Does this mean that an award J for YYZ - LHR would not get you lounge access. Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by everton_flyer
Does this mean that an award J for YYZ - LHR would not get you lounge access. Thanks.

Award and Revenue tickets in business class qualify for lounge access with no further requirement. However, using an upgrade or getting an op upgrade when not holding STARGold status will not get you into the lounge. Why the OP was asked for a STARGold card is a mystery, though as noted just could be course of habit. She should not have swiped your LH card to charge LH for your entry since you were paying AC for a revenue fare and that includes lounge access. (Though I have had this happen with SK when using its lounge at CPH while flying on a SK Revenue business class ticket. I did hand over my AE/AC card and the attendent swiped it, so I guess they charged AC for my use of the lounge!)
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by everton_flyer
It comes with the territory; business class awards include lounge access.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CGK

Thank you!
AC will bill LH for your usage.
Which is why all my lounge usage of 300K+ BIS is billed to AC. RCC & SAA & LH & SKL lounge usage is billed to AC. I only use my AC SE card.Some days AC is billed 6 longe usage.
Even when RCC Matrons or SKL are willing to take my SQ or 1K I tell them bill AC.
I get my pound of flesh every time I use a *A Lounge for losing a client in 2004 because of poor service from YUL Concierge.^

The FA know who have UG.On my flight NRT-YVR in June,
chatting with In-Charge,I was told 60% J-Cabin had UG. 25% was award booking.Only few revenue J.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I get my pound of flesh every time I use a *A Lounge for losing a client in 2004 because of poor service from YUL Concierge.^
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by airbus320
I fly on UA or SQ.Use *A lounge or RCC.I give not my UA1k or my SQ PPS card but my AC SE. UA & SQ get my flight revenue.AC gets billed for lounge usage.Even though I have access to the lounge comp. because of the COS service I am flying,I insist the agent swipe my SE card,to emsure that AC gets billed.With my usage of RCC in 48 states,UA makes a pretty penny.
Everytime I see my AC SE card gets swiped, I smile,AC has to cough-up $25.00.So I get my pound of flesh.I lost so AC pays $25.00 everytime I use the lounges.
If I am doing: ORD-DEN-SFO. AC gets billed $50.00 for 2 RCC usaged.
AC pays for poor service by YUL concierge.It may be $25.00 today,$50.00 3 days ago.With my travel book this month in 48 states, I will use the domestic RCC at least 15-20 times. It adds up. !!!

[QUOTE=yyzprincess;7008783]AC will bill LH for your usage.
Which is why all my lounge usage of 300K+ BIS is billed to AC. RCC & SAA & LH & SKL lounge usage is billed to AC. I only use my AC SE card.Some days AC is billed 6 longe usage.
Even when RCC Matrons or SKL are willing to take my SQ or 1K I tell them bill AC.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: AC 75K
I think the is for your child like actions...hold a grudge much?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Your interpretation is dead on.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You may see it as a grudge,I see it as a punitive action, especially when Customer service & management endorses the poor service of that employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.