Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slightly OT: Northern Ontario

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Slightly OT: Northern Ontario

I just posted in the Canada travel forum, but it doesn't seem widely read, so re-posting here. A few years ago, AC had a travel package to Northern Ontario which included a stay at Cree Village Ecolodge.
Specifically, I would appreciate any advice or recommendations regarding this lodge, as well as options for actually getting there from MCI or ORD. The only thread about this topic suggests AC to Toronto and then train and boat?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
I found the website for Cree Village Ecolodge at http://www.creevillage.com/ and it appears to be in Moose Factory. Therefore yes, you're going to fly to Toronto, take an ordinary train to Cochrane, switch to the Polar Bear Express (http://www.polarbearexpress.ca/) there, which is a really great trip I must tell you, and then you'll need a boat to get you from Moosonee to Moose Factory - presumably the lodge will arrange that for you.

The populations of Moosonee and Moose Factory are not about to support commercial air traffic. In fact I think you'll find that's kind of the point of going there. Enjoy the trip - I intend to go back some summer soon.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks! ^
I had the ecolodge website, but didn't know about the Polar Bear Express!
We've never visited this area, so appreciate any recommendations!
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:32 pm

When are you planning to go? The Polar Bear Express is a tourist train that only operates in the summer. There is also the Little Bear, which runs year-round and is cheaper. The catch: it is a mixed passenger-freight service that stops all over the place in the middle of nowhere and is much slower.

The train from Toronto to Cochrane is the Northlander. You can find links to both the Northlander and the Little Bear on the Polar Bear Express web page.

It is also possible to fly to Moosonee. Air Creebec (www.aircreebec.ca) offers flights, although they aren't very direct and tend to be very expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.