Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What compensation am I entitled to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist

Flew from MRY-LAX-YYZ on a Star Alliance Award ticket in Business Class. Had a 3-hour layover in LAX and an airline switch from United Express (SkyWest) to Air Canada. When I arrived in Toronto, my bag did not, Air Canada said they had no idea where the bag was. This went on for 2 days. I called United and they said they scanned the bag about 15 minutes after arrival in LAX when they handed it over to Northwest (who apparently handles the bags for Air Canada in LAX). Finally, 2 days later and 1 day before flying home, I returned to my hotel room in the evening to find my suitcase. I picked it up, noticing it was very light, and opened it up to find that all of my clothes were missing with the exception of underwear, socks, and toiletry kit. In addition to that it had been stuffed with newspapers and there were two things that were not mine (a Von Dutch hat and a small Louis Vuitton clutch).

Needless to say I was not happy. I had to buy a bunch of new clothes...had already done this the day after arriving so I had something fresh to wear to the office...then had to buy more when this happened.

I got no response from Air Canada other than a call center in India. I've not been reimbursed for anything. I just received a claim form from Air Canada asking for all sorts of crazy details like when I purchased the items that were stolen, where I bought them, how much I paid, and asking for receipts (no one keeps receipts for these things...!?).

The letter that came with it said that their liability (and thus my compensation) would be limited to the terms listed on my ticket. Since it was an E-Ticket, I never saw these terms.

I'm wondering if anyone can help by letting me know what the limits are, what I'm entitled to, and how to handle this.

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Unfortunately as it was an international flight, I think it's just the equivalent of US$20/kg or something like that, to a maximum of US$1,400 based on checking in 70kg of stuff. You're covered (or rather, the airlines' behinds are) by something called the Montreal Convention.

If it was lost on a wholly-domestic U.S. itinerary, compensation doubles.

Hence the old mantra of never checking in anything you want to see again.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Nov 11, 2006 at 6:05 pm
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by MaximusDamon
Flew from MRY-LAX-YYZ on a Star Alliance Award ticket in Business Class. Had a 3-hour layover in LAX and an airline switch from United Express (SkyWest) to Air Canada. When I arrived in Toronto, my bag did not, Air Canada said they had no idea where the bag was. This went on for 2 days. Thanks!
You had a double loss you had to suffer with AC and they lost your luggage... hopefully you will have better luck next time. ^

File a claim see what you get... you might be surprised.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
LAX in general has a serious baggage theft issue going on. I had a camera stolen from me on a direct LAX - YYZ flight just a few weeks back. Absolutely no response from AC! I wonder if things were different had AC moved their Baggage Claim offices from QC to any other province west of it!

I say file a claim with AC and keep bugging them and absolutely under no circumstances let them off the hook without making them answer to you! They have to get the concept of customer service through their thick skulls.

And I thought NWA was bad...
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:04 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Sorry to hear about your luggage delay and loss of possessions. In addition to the suggestions above, if you booked your ticket with a credit card that has some coverage such as the Aerogold Visa, you may be able to make a claim. I've had good luck with the travel insurance associated with that card. Let us know how everything is (hopefully) resolved.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:14 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired
Sorry to hear about your luggage delay and loss of possessions. In addition to the suggestions above, if you booked your ticket with a credit card that has some coverage such as the Aerogold Visa, you may be able to make a claim. I've had good luck with the travel insurance associated with that card. Let us know how everything is (hopefully) resolved.
Yes but if the taxes were not paid with the same program your points were deducted from (ie avion paid with amex or airmiles with visa) you are sunk.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:24 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
Yes but if the taxes were not paid with the same program your points were deducted from (ie avion paid with amex or airmiles with visa) you are sunk.
Good info...I always wondered about that...
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:06 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by payam81
LAX in general has a serious baggage theft issue going on. I had a camera stolen from me on a direct LAX - YYZ flight just a few weeks back. Absolutely no response from AC! I wonder if things were different had AC moved their Baggage Claim offices from QC to any other province west of it!
Would you please explain with details how the location of the Bagagge Claim will affect the response (or lack of it) from AC?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I hope you kept the "stuffing" that was in your bag...and if you have a camera, photograph those and the general contents. Then beyond dealing with AC, send a restatement of what occured to UA and NW, as well as file a report with the LAPD, the LAX authority, and Homeland Security. This will be time consuming, but all these entities were in some way responsible for the theft. I doubt anything will come of this, but better to initiate investigations than let it ride. Also, what credit card did you use to buy the ticket...even award ticket. There should be supplementary insurance that will pay the difference between what the airline reimburses you, and what value was actually taken.

As for the source of the "points", if one was using AVION or TD or SCOTIA points, they'd require you to pay the taxes/fees for the award ticket with that card, so the trip should be covered by that card's policy. If AE miles were used, then any credit card used that has a travel policy attached to it and was used to pay the supplementary charges should honour the policy irrespective of whether AE miles were earned flying, with another credit card or whatever.

Sorry about your predicament, but I do thnk AC is dealing with this as best it can under the terms of carriage.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:20 am

Absolutely no response from AC! I wonder if things were different had AC moved their Baggage Claim offices from QC to any other province west of it!
Yes, absolutely. If their baggage claim office were located anywhere else -- though of course further west the better -- they no doubt would flown a crack investigative team to LAX to track down the items, arrest those responsible, and return them to the affected passenger. In addition, I'm sure they would have kept poor Maximus D informed with updates on the status of the investigation, and his luggage, every few hours. No doubt his stolen goods would have been returned that very night, avoiding him great hassle and frustration.

PS: MaximusD: Sorry to hear about the theft. That really sucks. There is an article in today's NY Times about the increasing disasters of checked luggage. I hope you have some success getting decent compensation.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:54 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just received a claim form from Air Canada asking for all sorts of crazy details like when I purchased the items that were stolen, where I bought them, how much I paid, and asking for receipts (no one keeps receipts for these things...!?).

The letter that came with it said that their liability (and thus my compensation) would be limited to the terms listed on my ticket. Since it was an E-Ticket, I never saw these terms.

I'm wondering if anyone can help by letting me know what the limits are, what I'm entitled to, and how to handle this.
The limit in this case is approx. $1400 USD, and the actual amount will be based on the information you provide on that form. The details they are asking for are not "crazy", they are pretty standard. Do pay particular attention to the "Date Purchased" column, as they will use it to calculate depreciation (which will be deducted).
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:57 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just a few weeks back. Absolutely no response from AC!
Have you filed the claim (in writing)? If so, it will probably take at least a month (maybe a few months) for them to process the claim -- this kind of a time frame is typical for any airline, not just AC.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC.SE
I picked it up, noticing it was very light, and opened it up to find that all of my clothes were missing
This incident is very unfortunate, and I hope you get some sort of compensation. I guess the airlines need to limit their liability in order to avoid spurious claims. Also, I imagine they're not unaware that theft occurs during baggage handling, and that they're unable (and maybe a bit unwilling?) to improve security.

Just out of curiosity, was there anything about your luggage that might have made it more appealing to thieves? Frequent flyer tags, expensive brand, etc.?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:40 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Maximus

We are in a similar situation......my bag was stolen at YYZ but on a paid ticket. Some contents stolen, bag later retrived miles away discarded.

Response back to date from AC, and even GTAA (and it was almost a month ago now) zero! Credit card companies say to file claim with all other insurance programs, then come back to talk to them....endless shifting, passing the buck.... totally unsatisfactory service from AC, GTAA, and insurance companies!!
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
Originally Posted by NewToCanada
Yes, absolutely. If their baggage claim office were located anywhere else -- though of course further west the better -- they no doubt would flown a crack investigative team to LAX to track down the items, arrest those responsible, and return them to the affected passenger. In addition, I'm sure they would have kept poor Maximus D informed with updates on the status of the investigation, and his luggage, every few hours. No doubt his stolen goods would have been returned that very night, avoiding him great hassle and frustration.
It has absolutely nothing to do with it. AC also has their own staff in LAX. Corporate Security would investigate the situation, regardless of the location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.