Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YVR says Canada's current aviation agreements with Asia stunting its growth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...2-fa7bd4d8276f

Canada's current aviation agreements with several Asian countries are holding back growth at Vancouver International Airport, airport authority officials said.

Director of aviation marketing John Korenic said a number of Asian carriers, including Singapore Airlines, are looking to expand service to Vancouver, but restrictions on air traffic are preventing them from doing so.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
As a Canadian I want the govt to be tough and negotiate with SQ... SQ will just take people from AC.... no way 300 people a day are going to SIN... Let SQ come to Canada with flights nonstop to SIN.. see if they are interested.

However as a flyer bring on SQ but dont make us suffer with YVR... get them to YYZ.
Or maybe a nonstop Edmonton flight
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
Or maybe a nonstop Edmonton flight
With a stop in Calgary
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
OK thats one more thing we can agree on

And double points for PE....
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
I read the article, what a steaming load of crap. If SQ sees such a great opportunity, why do they route the three flights a week though Korea? They can't even fill 3 flights a week from SIN-YVR.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
I read the article, what a steaming load of crap. If SQ sees such a great opportunity, why do they route the three flights a week though Korea? They can't even fill 3 flights a week from SIN-YVR.
I fly the YVR-(ICN)-SIN route several times a year on business. I have had completly packed flights in the middle of November & Febuary, during no special peak travel times - mostly leisure travellers. The thru-traffic would surprise you, not going to Singapore, but to all over SE Asia, Australia & a huge number to India. Don't forget how massive a gateway Changi is. There is not even a one-stop service to India from YVR, (why is beyond me -?!?) yet look at Vancouver's population. There are only NRT-DEL flights on certain days of the week, so NRT's not that great. I for one would way rather route over SIN than LHR or anywhere else in Europe if I were heading to Delhi or Amritsur.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wardair A310
I fly the YVR-(ICN)-SIN route several times a year on business. I have had completly packed flights in the middle of November & Febuary..
Good, if they leave it at 3 days a week, maybe they'll put one of their A380's on it to handle the loads^

Last edited by LeSabre74; Nov 6, 2006 at 4:51 pm
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:11 pm

Goof, if they leave it at 3 days a week, maybe they'll put one of their A380's on it to handle the loads^

Pardon? I am a "Goof"? How old are you?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can read the governments position with regards to the Singapore agreements at the appropriate gov-web site.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

They can't even fill 3 flights a week from SIN-YVR.
A statement not supported based on the info in this thread, which says load factor runs 80+% on average and above 90% at peak times of the year.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
A statement not supported based on the info in this thread, which says load factor runs 80+% on average and above 90% at peak times of the year.
But what % are actually getting off in SIN and not jumping ship at ICN? I beleive that is what is worrisome for the GOV. There is "thought" to be little O+D traffic between YVR and SIN!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wardair A310
Pardon? I am a "Goof"? How old are you?
Big egg on my face. I meant "Good, if they leave it at 3 days a week, maybe they'll put one of their A380's on it to handle the loads". Soryy about that. come from being a hunt and pecker typist (no rude jokes please).
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:21 pm

Yeah, but that doesn't mean he's not a goof, right?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:49 pm

Big egg on my face. I meant "Good, if they leave it at 3 days a week, maybe they'll put one of their A380's on it to handle the loads". Soryy about that. come from being a hunt and pecker typist (no rude jokes please).
okay, thanks. I feel better now. I've been feeling really goofy for the past day or so.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
But what % are actually getting off in SIN and not jumping ship at ICN? I beleive that is what is worrisome for the GOV. There is "thought" to be little O+D traffic between YVR and SIN!
Surely there must be a way to track those numbers. Or are they out there just not for the general public?

FWIW, I book SQ on consolidator fares frequently and almost all of them are on this route and none get off in ICN. That's just my humble inexact anecdotal evidence and take it for what it's worth.

I'll be curiously watching this issue to see if rules get relaxed or agreements rewritten.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.