Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mad as Hell J5I5 to J5I1 30 mins to midnight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mad as Hell J5I5 to J5I1 30 mins to midnight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
YWG-YYZ-ORD Nov 16th - 20th

tango + $154
Lat $234

This is the best deal I have seen since flying to YEG last year where Executive was $1 less than Latitude ;-)

GT
WOW! I have never seen that before.

And to the comment regarding different routings providing different upsell rates...I don't think I've ever noticed that, but I also haven't looked either...I'll keep my eye out in the future. Thanks for the tip...
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by shore9
this really sounds like a route controller taking out I. Considering J5 stays constant throughout the period of time we are talking it makes no sense. If in fact 4 people did call for the upgrade, would it not go down to J1??
That must be the route controller working the 10pm-6am shift?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: SQ, Marriott Lifetime
Originally Posted by Simon
That must be the route controller working the 10pm-6am shift?

So then what happens? I class goes goes down but J stays up? J "auto updates" and I does not?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
One possible scenario is gamesmanship:

I want to ensure I have a J class ticket.

I buy 2 tickets in J class.

As the window approaches, I is open.

I call and have myself "downgraded" to Y/M/whatever.

I then upgrade to I class.

J for sale = J before
I available = 2 less than before

Simon
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
One possible scenario is gamesmanship:

I want to ensure I have a J class ticket.

I buy 2 tickets in J class.

As the window approaches, I is open.

I call and have myself "downgraded" to Y/M/whatever.

I then upgrade to I class.

J for sale = J before

Simon
Would J availability not increase in this case?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by k22
Waiting for midnight for 2 upgrades at 7 day window. Checked an hour ago (22.50) J5I5, no problem. Checked at 11.30, J5I1. What happened? Should I be suspicious?
What did the rest of the buckets look like. I know if I was flying on a transatlantic for example and I saw J5 I5, I would immediately book Y and upgrade to J at booking. The problem I run into is J5 I0 and it getting close to flight day, so I would say that the discrepancy may be due to guys like me

DF
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:30 pm

Nope. I would have held 2 J seats before making the change, and 2 J seats after the downfare/upgrade (via I class). So J would remain the same, I would drop by 2.

Simon
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:37 pm
k22
Original Poster

Programs: ACSE 100K 1MM
Nope. I would have held 2 J seats before making the change, and 2 J seats after the downfare/upgrade (via I class). So J would remain the same, I would drop by 2.
Simon
Intriguing theory ???
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:44 pm
k22
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
What did the rest of the buckets look like. I know if I was flying on a transatlantic for example and I saw J5 I5, I would immediately book Y and upgrade to J at booking. The problem I run into is J5 I0 and it getting close to flight day, so I would say that the discrepancy may be due to guys like me
DF
After Simon's theory, I wish I'd paid closer attention to the other buckets. Answer is..I don't know. J5I5 would have been very unusual I suspect for a high demand transatlantic flight, but perhaps not so unusual for a flight to Central America in the "Green Season" where demand for J is relatively low.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=................

Simon[/QUOTE]

Is this where I + I does not equal 2?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:58 pm
k22
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acysb87
Is this where I + I does not equal 2?
I think Simon may have cracked it. J return is over $2200 plus taxes. Y (M not available) is about $1400 plus taxes. 4 tix changed from J to Y (then to I) would save over $3200 in total ...all for the price of 4 SWU's. Hence J5I5 to J5I1.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Is it not possible that the 4 upgrades went, perhaps to 2 different callers for 2
seats each? "I" going down does not affect J inventory.

Yes, they may have " scammed" the sytem re: time zones.

But many people on this board have been instructing us how to do so.
It is not possible. J5 stayed J5 after I went from 5 to 1. When a pax upgrades, J is reduced. Don't forget J is the lead fare bucket, so when C or I is reduced, J is also reduced.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by k22
It was bizarre. J5I5 an hour before midnight to J5I1 just before midnight. After I received the one upgrade it went to J4I0. It remains there right now.
I think S9 makes a good point. If four upgrades had been given away before midnight, it should have fallen to J1I1.
Is it not possible that the load in Y changed, shifting the available I automatically?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:21 pm
k22
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Is it not possible that the load in Y changed, shifting the available I automatically?
Only the powers that be can really answer you, but it's my undertstanding that the type of change you suggest is not automatic and would normally be done manually by route controllers who don't work weekends, or if they do, don't work at midnight on weekends. Unless someone has an alternative theory, my vote so far goes to Simon's very plausible suggestion.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:33 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by shore9
Don't forget J is the lead fare bucket, so when C or I is reduced, J is also reduced.
Really?

So if a flight shows J9 C5 I2, and a pax comes and books a segment in C class, are you actually saying that J9 must change to J8 in addition to the C5 becoming C4!?!

If so, then that is completely incorrect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.