Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Moving from B.C. to YUL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Stay in the west.

BC is a much better place to live and raise kids than "central canada".
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by execk2
The West Island isn't what it used to be. Many parts of the WI has become a multi-national community and many parts look rather bleak compared to 20 years ago.
Multi-national community relates into some favourite restaurants to enjoy the "ethnic cuisine" be it Italian, Greek, Asian and Middle Eastern without having to drive into the city to savour a good meal . And what a joy to realize that one can have two 7- a side U-10 soccer teams on a pitch with the supporting parents, that can form a mini UN club, discussing different topics of the day or the game whilst the kids are playing.
As far as looking bleak, I gather that you have not noticed the 0.5-3 million dollar houses in the DDO, Kirkland and Ile Bizard areas lately
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:05 pm

I have noticed and the people walking with shopping carts in DDO and Pierrefonds stealing them from IGA and METRO and walking down Sources road. Just because some houses in Westpark are now at 500K does not show the slide of the west island. Those with money have stuck close to the lake or moved closer to the Vaudreuil area.

And the ethnic rerstaurants in the west island do not exist. Unless you consider MacDonalds as ethnic.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
And the ethnic rerstaurants in the west island do not exist. Unless you consider MacDonalds as ethnic.
I must be the worst YUL critic on this thread but even I'll admit that isn't so. There are some fine ones and I notice a few middle eastern or indian places opening up here and there.

The abundance of fine eating establishments in YUL offering traditional fare matches that of any big city in North America. Compared against YYZ, the Italian resturants in YUL are pretty darn good and I'd definitely give the edge to YUL for beef. I was delighted to see Le Bifteque (sp) and Baton rouge opening up YYZ stores a few yrs ago. For seafood, YVR gets the nod, but YUL certainly has more to offer than YYZ in that category. I see a few good pastry places opening up here and there in YUL as well which seems kind of knew. In YYZ or YVR I never had a problem finding a nice one to close out the evening but in YUL it was like they never heard of such a thing. Fortunately, that's improving.

My only cause for concern about food in YUL is Corned Beef and Poutine. The locals take great pride in it. I've nothing to really compare it against but even so, the thrill is lost on me.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
I've had great Indian food, sushi, and Italian ... and that was west of Boul. St. Jean.

I'm not sure why you say the West Island is bleak. I'd rather live in Beaconsfield than Vaudreuil anyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.