Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada B767-300 ER lie flat seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Apparently this aircraft will soon (when?) get new truly lie flat seats as opposed to nearly lie flat seats on the Airbus 345. Is there a way to find out (easily) which type of aircraft flies on which route?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 4:08 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Try:

Air Canada Aeroplan
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:57 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by dragon888
Apparently this aircraft will soon (when?) get new truly lie flat seats as opposed to nearly lie flat seats on the Airbus 345. Is there a way to find out (easily) which type of aircraft flies on which route?
Spring 2006. Not sure which calendar AC are using though.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:27 am

A picture is here

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1120995
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: various

Last edited by YYZFlyboy; Aug 12, 2010 at 6:33 am Reason: no longer relevant
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
It apparently takes AC one year to refurbish one 767/300 so it will be 2038 before they are done at this rate.............
Too bad you have no clue about the certification requirements for this kind of refurbishment.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cargoagent
Too bad you have no clue about the certification requirements for this kind of refurbishment.
With the greatest of respect I also have no clue as to what is required to get the seats installed. It occurred to me that they would logically upgrade the long flights like asia before the shorter ones. Short of going thru the schedule and looking at each flight I was curious as whether there was some little chart (like what Empress made for seat pitchs etc) that showed which type of aircraft flies which route.
Although curiosity killed the cat it was satisfaction that brought him back.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:24 am

With the greatest of respect I also have no clue as to what is required to get the seats installed. It occurred to me that they would logically upgrade the long flights like asia before the shorter ones. Short of going thru the schedule and looking at each flight I was curious as whether there was some little chart (like what Empress made for seat pitchs etc) that showed which type of aircraft flies which route.
It's been explained here numerous times already but here goes.

First of all, it was in the hanger for 4 months not 1 year.

The new J seats have never been installed on this acft type in Canada. Every aspect of this installation is subject to TC inspection and certification. The same goes for the AVOD system. There are miles of wiring installed for these systems and everything must be perfectly installed and run perfectly before TC will approve it. That means that every single step must be documented as the installation progresses.

I have heard that there were some issues that were also beyond AC's control.

Once the first acft passes certification the next will be quicker as it is simply an installation process. As the crews become more familiar with the process it will become easier and faster as well.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:42 am

From the dead?

Originally Posted by cargoagent

I have heard that there were some issues that were also beyond AC's control.
As I understand it, the supplier of either the J suite or Y seats delivered late and not according as per contract, and that sufficient seats to get the XM program going have only now started to arrive.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sebring
As I understand it, the supplier of either the J suite or Y seats delivered late and not according as per contract, and that sufficient seats to get the XM program going have only now started to arrive.
This is exactly what I was told by a friend at ACTS.

It is simply a case of force majeure caused by a break in the supply chain.

While an serious aggravation for those of us awaiting the Messiah like new seats, Air Canada does not bear responsibility in this case.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:15 pm

Last edited by YYZFlyboy; Aug 12, 2010 at 6:33 am Reason: no longer relevant
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, Aeroplan
Air Canada just started the XM program May/June 2006. It'll be awhile before a majority of their fleet will have the new seats. There is a picture of an A345 posted recently on Airliners.net showing the new cabin interior (they look like Virgin's Upper Deck). The 763ER's probably won't get them until 2007 (I'm just guesstimating here) unless there is a fleet reorganization.

When I asked the Gate Agent about the XM program when I flew AC last June, they didn't know what I was talking about so that could be a gauge on how painstaking the process is.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A correction....

Originally Posted by RogueViator
Air Canada just started the XM program May/June 2006. It'll be awhile before a majority of their fleet will have the new seats. There is a picture of an A345 posted recently on Airliners.net showing the new cabin interior (they look like Virgin's Upper Deck). The 763ER's probably won't get them until 2007 (I'm just guesstimating here) unless there is a fleet reorganization.
The picture recently posted on airlines.net is of a recently completed XM 767-300...the first to roll off the refurbishment line.

The 2 AC airbus 340-500 were delivered two years ago with new lie flat seats in J and AVOD throughout the aircraft
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:48 pm

Last edited by YYZFlyboy; Aug 12, 2010 at 6:32 am Reason: no longer relevant
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am most grateful to AC for the good taste in the choice of colours for the XM 767-300 project.

Please contrast with the following LOT 767-300 makeover.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2B212FED

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.