Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada B767-300 ER lie flat seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada B767-300 ER lie flat seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cargoagent
Too bad you have no clue about the certification requirements for this kind of refurbishment.

Too bad Air Canada has no clue about it either or they wouldn't still have the first aircraft in the hangar.

They should have done their homework. With all the over-time it would have been cheaper to just lease a new 777 and start from scratch.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC*E; HH-G; SPG-G; MR-S; الفرسان
Originally Posted by Cargoagent
Too bad you have no clue about the certification requirements for this kind of refurbishment.
What a ... response. I sure hope you don't speak officially for AC.

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
I'm no airline expert but assume Montie Brewer is - his words from November 2005:

"An extensive refurbishment program......will replace every seat in the existing fleet with the newest, most comfortable passenger seating available, ..........including personal seat back entertainment, and a brand new look for the interior cabin. New Executive First lie flat seat on international routes Air Canada's new Executive First seat will provide international customers with luxurious first class comfort and service for a business class price. The key feature will be the introduction spring 2006 of a revolutionary lie-flat seat designed and manufactured by Contour Premium Aircraft Seating."

I would assume that a world-class corporation such as AC knows what it's talking about (regulatory issues, production and delivery issues such as contract and design specs etc.) when it makes definite and unconditional statements like this - right?

Anyhow I'm not personally bothered when this all happens (I like the big old seats myself) I just like some honesty but AC seems to love spouting off before they have all thier ducks in a row. Another example is the YYZ-LAX-SYD route which it announced last year but I'm told as yet hasn't even got regulatory approval for such a route.............Maybe someone in corporate/marketing should be held accountable for BS.
Quite true. I prefer the current big seats as well. Another example is how AC declared they would be returning to YTZ (and put out reservable schedules for YOW and YUL) when they knew they would not be allowed to return. Shows a lack of respect for the customer in my view.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
With all the over-time it would have been cheaper to just lease a new 777 and start from scratch.
doubtful
Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Too bad Air Canada has no clue about it either or they wouldn't still have the first aircraft in the hangar.

They should have done their homework. With all the over-time it would have been cheaper to just lease a new 777 and start from scratch.
Yeah, that's right. Transport Canada would have rushed the approvals on the 777 that they didn't do on the 763 until they had gone over it with a fine tooth comb.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by naplesyrupeater
doubtful
AC could have gotten a good deal on 777's from VARIG
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Simon
Yeah, that's right. Transport Canada would have rushed the approvals on the 777 that they didn't do on the 763 until they had gone over it with a fine tooth comb.
Sometimes it's just better to start off from ZERO.

AC was way behind schedule with removing old seats, carpets etc...That was obvious from the pics we saw of the progress or lack of on AC Horizons. This was before Transport Canada got involved. Now we are hearing delays were also due in part to the supply chain.

That's right AC, blame everyone else but yourself.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
AC should be a lot more forthright in their communications regarding the refurbs, however I will defend them on the time delay.

They have no choice but to have TC involved. If a supplier is late in delivery, it is a little hard to blame AC, it is not as if one can duck down to Home Hardware instead of Rona and buy widgets elsewhere. Having seen the guts of a wide body jet, thanks to Parnel for the AC Do in YVR 18 months ago, their is miles and miles of wiring. Remember the Swiss Air plane that blew up in the sky thanks to faulty wiring. Imagine if one piece of wiring was chafing on a piece of metal. It is a monumental task to undertake. Both TC and ACTS are going to be very thorough.
Have you ever renovated a house. When you start peeling back the layers, you find other things that need replacement or repair, these are things that are not budgeted for financially or timewise.

I feel for an excited AC that is eager to roll out the blue carpet, but it really does need to get it's act togther in open and honest communications with it's customers.

Being involved in the construction business let's me have sympathy for them with the delays and surprises.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC could have gotten a good deal on 777's from VARIG
Varig hasn't own any of their aircraft in quite some time!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Varig hasn't own any of their aircraft in quite some time!

They could have taken over the lease of VARIG's 777.

Just read my earlier post where I refer to "LEASE". As copy and pasted here:

"With all the over-time it would have been cheaper to just lease a new 777 and start from scratch."
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could have taken over the lease of VARIG's 777.

Just read my earlier post where I refer to "LEASE". As copy and pasted here:

"With all the over-time it would have been cheaper to just lease a new 777 and start from scratch."
Varigs 777 were all without engines or in hock at various airports around the world. Not to mention that they were for the most part UA hand-me-downs.......Why would AC want more junk when they can get new made to their specs?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Another example is the YYZ-LAX-SYD route which it announced last year but I'm told as yet hasn't even got regulatory approval for such a route.............Maybe someone in corporate/marketing should be held accountable for BS.
Just to refresh your memory, but the PR by AC on the YYZ-LAX-SYD route announced that they were filing for regulatory approval with the intention of starting the route in the 1st half of 2007 with the delivery of the B777. It wasn't an official announcement of starting the route.

http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi...060-0&Start=20
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: various

Last edited by YYZFlyboy; Aug 12, 2010 at 6:32 am Reason: no longer relevant
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by airbus320
I am most grateful to AC for the good taste in the choice of colours for the XM 767-300 project.

Please contrast with the following LOT 767-300 makeover.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2B212FED
Ouch! That hurts!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:50 am

Fair enough, but to announce it a year and half out - before they have any type of approval and from what I understand this approval may not be as forthcoming as they thought. In AC's own words the service would start the first half of 2007, that's only months out - on a major route and still no sign of a sched.

Don't get me wrong, this will be an awsome route for me as that's one of my common areas of travel but why don't they just get their act straight FIRST - before making these types of announcements. I'm not anti-AC (otherwise I wouldn't be here) but I am frustrated and I'm going to be critical of stupid or incompetent marketing/corporate media when they deserve it.
They announced it for the summer of 2007. The necessary bilateral negotiations are taking place next month. And they made the announcement as early as they did, apparently to gain support from QF which used AC's announcement as part of its campaign to keep SQ off the LAX-SYD route. QF cited AC's announcement - and may have solicited it - to show that there would be more competition on the route even without SQ. It apparently worked. That's why I have no doubt that the fix is in and the route will get swift approval, although I am hoping next month's negotiations lead to a general liberalization of Canada-Australia services so we can have a Vancouver-Sydney nonstop eventually and continuation, if AC desires, of Canada-HNL-Australia.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Sebring
They announced it for the summer of 2007. The necessary bilateral negotiations are taking place next month. And they made the announcement as early as they did, apparently to gain support from QF which used AC's announcement as part of its campaign to keep SQ off the LAX-SYD route. QF cited AC's announcement - and may have solicited it - to show that there would be more competition on the route even without SQ. It apparently worked. That's why I have no doubt that the fix is in and the route will get swift approval, although I am hoping next month's negotiations lead to a general liberalization of Canada-Australia services so we can have a Vancouver-Sydney nonstop eventually and continuation, if AC desires, of Canada-HNL-Australia.
I think AC will need the 777-200 to do this route... None of those are coming in 2007. So this might still be smoke and mirrors from AC.
AC has said the 777-300 cant do HKG-YYZ thats 7700 miles LAX-SYD is 7500 miles. YVR-SYD is the same as HKG 7700miles.

However maybe some of the experts can tell us ??? are the winds better going to SYD? so the 777-300 can make it? Also if AC thinks its a great market for J seats...... interesting they will put a 777 on with the worst % of Premium seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.