Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Reservations Agent - no info on seat pitch on the computer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I wanted to change flights between Germany and Canada last week (I did not have access to a computer); I had a confirmed upgrade on a FRA-YUL flight; I was considering switching to a MUC-YYZ flight (with the I inventory being zero 24 hrs in advance), and potentially sitting in the economy cabin, if the upgrade request did not come through at the airport. I asked the AC agent at the SE desk the question about seat pitch in the economy cabin on that particular flight - she told me that AC agents do not have access to such information for a given flight. Is that true?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
No, the information isn't readily available in RES. Also, the fin number for the flight is not assigned until 48 hours before and is always subject to change.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
The Seat Guru info can be printed out (there is a print this page button on the webpage.) I've printed the ones I'm likely to fly on to .pdf and store that on my PDA as well as laptop.

File that idea for future flights.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:04 am

Expecting res agents to have info on seat pitch is asking a lot. This page on AC.com has great info now for most of the fleet on which specific seats have 31" pitch, which have 32" etc

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/current.html
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Most agents haven't a clue about seat pitch and as noted cannot access this on their own systems. This is clear every time I mention I don't want a seat in the forward "preferred" seating in Economy on narrow bodies...for the reasons we all know.

As for AC's widebodies, why do you even have to ask the question? There is virtually no difference among seats in any economy cabin on any aircraft in the widebody fleet. AC has a better pitch than LH and most other European carriers in their longhaul back cabins. It really makes no difference if you get a seat in the "preferred" forward economy cabin or the rear one.

Why even bother with this question?!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Most agents haven't a clue about seat pitch and as noted cannot access this on their own systems. This is clear every time I mention I don't want a seat in the forward "preferred" seating in Economy on narrow bodies...for the reasons we all know.

As for AC's widebodies, why do you even have to ask the question? There is virtually no difference among seats in any economy cabin on any aircraft in the widebody fleet. AC has a better pitch than LH and most other European carriers in their longhaul back cabins. It really makes no difference if you get a seat in the "preferred" forward economy cabin or the rear one.

Why even bother with this question?!
While I'd agree with much of what you write there is a range of pitch in AC widebody economy seats from 31"-34". For some those 3" may make a difference. Expecting a res agent to know this information is unrealistic IMO.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:23 am

I very rarely get questioned about seat pitch. Maybe some agents for this reason are not aware that they can find the information. It is however available if the agents know where to look. If it gives fin specific details however, as it does with laptop power supply information... It is often not possible to give a certain answer as we may not yet know what fin will be used for your flight. Then you also have to fact that aircrafts can be swapped at the last minute which can change everything. Hope that answers your question.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by RESGIRL
I very rarely get questioned about seat pitch. Maybe some agents for this reason are not aware that they can find the information. It is however available if the agents know where to look. If it gives fin specific details however, as it does with laptop power supply information... It is often not possible to give a certain answer as we may not yet know what fin will be used for your flight. Then you also have to fact that aircrafts can be swapped at the last minute which can change everything. Hope that answers your question.
In my situation, I called about 12 hrs before flight departure. Therefore, on the presumption that the aircraft is not changed at the last moment, are you saying at all AC telephone reservation agents have the ability to give the specifics related to that particular aircraft, as you mention above.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:15 pm

Without being at work and not knowing for sure that all aircrafts are listed properly I can't say for sure that in your particular case they could have given you all the information you were looking for. However, the answer should not have been that we don't have information about seat pitch as res agents. We do. It may not always be complete, but there is information available.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Without being at work and not knowing for sure that all aircrafts are listed properly I can't say for sure that in your particular case they could have given you all the information you were looking for. However, the answer should not have been that we don't have information about seat pitch as res agents. We do. It may not always be complete, but there is information available.
In my case, the AC reservation agent gave me a generic answer that she and her colleagues do not (at all) have access to such information on their computers. Her response did not relate to a specific aircraft flying a specific route, on a given day.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Oct 9, 2006 at 8:43 pm
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:23 pm

I have no idea why she would have said that. Must be someone who has never had the question or who has always thought that information is not available and doesn't know where to look for it. I can't imagine someone not being willing to give info it they know how to find it. Not sure what to tell you.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
In my case, the AC reservation agent gave me a generic answer that she and her colleagues do not (at all) have access to such information on their computers. Her response did not relate to a specific aircraft flying a specific route, on a given day.
Of note, this was a SE desk agent.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that the reasoning could be similar to why you wouldn't tell someone where they are on the waitlist.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid
I suspect that the reasoning could be similar to why you wouldn't tell someone where they are on the waitlist.
Seat pitch shouldn't change. The waitlist and position on it could.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was referring more to the specific aircraft. The specific aircraft could -- and that could mean power at seat or no power at seat, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.