Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Conspiracy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Question Aeroplan Conspiracy?

Hi,i am sure some of you have tought about all this, you know how they say aeroplan buys a limited number of seats from ac which sells at the classic reward level, however how can one be convinced that aeroplan is not selling some of their remaining classic reward seats at avenue levels? I am sure there are some seats available yyz-yvr this long weekend on classic however due to high demand, aeroplan decides to turn those seats into avenue, it's just an example but it does make sense.
Now they coming up with dynamic rewards, i honestly think aeroplan wants more for the seats and no longer interested in the classic reward chart.Yes i could be wrong and probably am but my question is how can we members know for sure we actually paying an avenue/dynamic seat?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StarAlliance2005
I am sure there are some seats available yyz-yvr this long weekend on classic however due to high demand, aeroplan decides to turn those seats into avenue, it's just an example but it does make sense.
Pure speculation........
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Hi,i am sure some of you have tought about all this, you know how they say aeroplan buys a limited number of seats from ac which sells at the classic reward level, however how can one be convinced that aeroplan is not selling some of their remaining classic reward seats at avenue levels? I am sure there are some seats available yyz-yvr this long weekend on classic however due to high demand, aeroplan decides to turn those seats into avenue, it's just an example but it does make sense.
Now they coming up with dynamic rewards, i honestly think aeroplan wants more for the seats and no longer interested in the classic reward chart.Yes i could be wrong and probably am but my question is how can we members know for sure we actually paying an avenue/dynamic seat?
Your grade four writing style hurts my brain. Work on it.

It wouldn't be a conspiracy if AP decided to switch classic rewards to avenue rewards at high demand times. It would be called "business".
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:08 pm

I think AP and AC have to come up with a way so that members can see how many seats are actually available in Classic/Avenue rewards on any given flight.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by ogmios
It wouldn't be a conspiracy if AP decided to switch classic rewards to avenue rewards at high demand times. It would be called "business".
Actually, I do believe there are so more complex legal and contractual processes involved here. Firstly, there is an arrangement between AC (and other partner airlines) and Aeroplan as to seat availability. Secondly, there is a tight relationship between Aeroplan, AC and all its partners that promote "rewards" to the public. This makes statements by Aeroplan as to seat availability subject to consumer protection and trade practice regulations, and all those that offer Aeroplan points as promotions have the same duty to ensure the rewards aren't arbitrary.

That said, holidays and long-weekends are always high demand for reward travel and sell-out fast, so I'd expect fewer award seats to be available when overall travel demand is higher. No conspiracy, just supply and demand economics.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by robsawatsky
No conspiracy, just supply and demand economics.
I'd agree. AE has stated that Classic rewards are 8% of seats per route per month (not that we have any way of validating this). They have never promised to allocate them evenly by day, flight or class of seat (look at the 2D seats per flight as an example). You'd imagine that they will tend to allocate reward seats to the flights with the lightest loads.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This does sound like a great title for a John LeCarre book... The Aeroplan conspiracy... One airline, two entities, and complete submission of the AE card carrying members.... When toasters turn to evil ?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Two issue apply to this route:

1. Awards between these two cities include point-to-point as well as through travel onward/inbound to/from Asia and the Pacific. This puts extra demand on Classic seats, so even over a holiday weekend, only Avenue awards would be available for whatever empty seats remain.

2. A good indicator as to whether Classic or Avenue awards should be available is to look at the regular inventory on sale at AC.com. If you finds TANGO still available on a flight, there should be Classic on Aeroplan. However, if only TANGO+ remains, then you're into the Avenue inventory. Even with the introduction of "Dynamic Awards", pricing will pretty much parallel this standard revenue inventory.

So unless AC puts a route onto its super-discounted Weekend Sell-off list, I doubt you'll often find Classic AE awards available on short notice even when some TANGO+ is available.

So no conspiracy, just the marketplace in play.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*SE
So true!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I believe English isn't the OP's native language. Or did I misunderstand your command?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by tcook052
I believe English isn't the OP's native language. Or did I misunderstand your command?
Yeah, it's something people don't consider before they criticise other members. There could be any number of factors why someone's writing is not up to a normal standard and not just ESL. The G&M had an article on a 93-year old who decided he wanted to learn to read and write.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you tcook052, english is not my native language however i am trying,sorry for the mistakes
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thank you tcook052, english is not my native language however i am trying,sorry for the mistakes
Not to worry...there are many English-first posters around here who need a refresher in their mother tongue.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Not to worry...there are many English-first posters around here who need a refresher in their mother tongue.
...or perhaps how to hold their tongue.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:52 am

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold

Yeah, I was out of line re: style. I should have complained about the content of the messages rather than the syntax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.