Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insomniac needs help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
With zopiclone, at least, yes. See my post above about giving detailed technical presentations.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:11 am

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
Originally Posted by zorn
I like pills and booze as much as the nexsht guy, but I had a supplementary question.

On the extremely unlikely chance the plane to Europe decides it really needs to stop in Halifax and every really needs to hop off the plane ASAP, will the excitement of the situation overcome the effect of the sedative and allow one to save oneself as well as not hinder anyone else? Would you be able to help someone who needed it?

Good Question

For most people the excitement of deplaning will overcome the effects of the medicaiton. It is a good idea not to take the medicaiton until the aircraft is airborne in case a flight gets delayed or cancelled (or you may miss your flight sleeping in the lounge)

It is a good idea for anyone interested in taking a sleeping medication to trial it at home prior to using it on a trip to see how it affects you and determine which dose works for you.

Good discusssions on this topic.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Interesting that no one else mentions or uses Halcyon. Trent, I look forward to your professional comments regarding it.

Edited to add: A Google search of Halcyon sleeping pills brought up all sorts of nasty stuff about it and this link:
http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/archives/jetlag.html
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:19 am

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
Originally Posted by taupo
Interesting that no one else mentions or uses Halcyon. Trent, I look forward to your professional comments regarding it.
Taupo

Halcion is OK as well but it is in the same drug class as Valium and Ativan, which are a little more likely to habit forming (theoretically). If it works for you in short bursts that is fine but the trend these days is to use medications in the same class as Imovane (which includes Ambien available in the US etc).

cheers

trent
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Thanks Trent.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
Melatonin only started being available here 3 or 4 years ago. I also use them, although I also have some difficulties sleeping nonetheless.

Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
Melatonin is actually available in Canada (BC at least). You can buy 100 tablets (1 mg) at Costco for $9.99. It works for some people and not for others. I take them occasionally and it seems to work at home but I've never been successful sleeping on long-hauls either. When I fly to Europe I try to schedule the first day with no obligations and try to adjust to the local time. Usually that means walking for hours on end to try to stay awake until bedtime. Occasionally I will take an hour nap during the day but it's a stuggle to get up after only an hour.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
"5. No " FANTASY"
(If you understand)
"

:-)

Wow...$15.00 CAD for their most expensive 2hr service. Now that's the way to unwind off a flight!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Guru,
Also Thailand is a fine place to catch up on ones sleep(pick a nice 5* hotel and go and have a Thai Blind massage as soon as you land).

http://www.tbmipattaya.com/english/start_english.htm
How do you get to Pattaya from the airport, especially late at night? I've never been there. And any hotel recommendations?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by ogmios
Melatonin only started being available here 3 or 4 years ago. I also use them, although I also have some difficulties sleeping nonetheless.
I also use melatonin, but not during the flight, only after arriving. I take it 10-20 mins before bedtime with water, and have never had any side effects. Melatonin is not a sleeping pill, but works by adjusting your inner clock, as far as I understand it. I eat well before boarding and avoid excessive alcohol, and otherwise basically do as DF does.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thefareguru
How do you get to Pattaya from the airport, especially late at night? I've never been there. And any hotel recommendations?
The new airport is actually between Pattaya and BKK on the Chonburi highway. I don't think it will take you longer than 90 mins (traffic dependant) and cost no more than 1200 Baht via limo. I would suggest using some SPG points and staying at the Sheraton....... and there are many hotels in Pattaya, with many 4*/5* in the 50-100 range.

www.asiarooms.com

www.latestays.com

The Thai blind massage is located in Jomtien Beach but it is not hard to get to via shared taxi/bus for 10-15 Baht!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.