Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insomniac needs help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by zorn
For my usual YYZ-LHR I eat in the lounge and have a Gravol and a Kilkenny.
I am unfortunately allergic to the active ingredient in gravol (thankfully, not to the active ingredient in Kilkenny ) I learned from a pharmacist years ago that gravol has the same ingredient in the same dosage as most over the counter sleeping pills, at 1/10th the price. I'm allergic to them of course too... that is why I heart Ambien...
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
NH First and TG First too........forget about UA First . If you are doing a MPM run then I would take a flight to BKK where you can load up on the sleeping meds for the rest of the run .
Okay, Q. Would I need to go to a doctor there? If so, got one? Or a pharmacy that is eager to do business? I'm serious. And I'm just totally irritated that the physicians here are pretending to be products of an immaculate conception, and I would go to BKK for a few good sleeps.

I've decided to ignore the concerns that I told you about earlier this year and get airborne.

Actually, the plan is to use that HKG fare that I mentioned to you a while back combined with a *A 29K RTW ex-HKG C class.

HKG TG BKK TG HKG SQ SIN SQ/SA CPT SA FRA LO WAW LO LHR AC YVR AC HKG = 28128 MILES + COS 25% bonus = 35160 miles

Edit: It hit me after I posted this that a YVR-YYJ-YVR and a YVR-YCD-YVR could be added without hurting the ticket for 2000 more status miles.

Last edited by thefareguru; Oct 6, 2006 at 10:43 pm
Old Oct 7, 2006, 4:24 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
another word

booze
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Melatonin is available at any shoppers drug mart. I don't sleep well first night in a hotel room, I take one every time and I sleep through the night without waking up a 100 times.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
As a physician I can recommend the following:

1. Imovane (zoplicone) in either 7.5 or 5 mg

2. Melatonin

Both have been studied extensively by us in the Canadian Forces:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00005/art00010

I was one of the authors on this study.

Imovane doesn't appear to have a long hangover effect but does often leave a metalic taste in your mouth.

I personally use Imovane when cross and ocean. I just did a trip to Tasmania and back and although I am not a great sleeper I did manage 11 hours from YVR-SYD in total and 10 hours back (mind you, in J, a lot easier to sleep)

Feel free to PM me should anyone in the YOW area wish a small perscritpion and I can see you at my clinic.

This is my contact website:

www.aviationmedintl.com

Always welcome questions, cheers

trent
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:12 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by thefareguru
Okay, Q. Would I need to go to a doctor there? If so, got one? Or a pharmacy that is eager to do business? I'm serious. And I'm just totally irritated that the physicians here are pretending to be products of an immaculate conception, and I would go to BKK for a few good sleeps.

In Bangkok, you can buy any medication at any pharamacy without a
prescription.

Actually, the plan is to use that HKG fare that I mentioned to you a while back combined with a *A 29K RTW ex-HKG C class.

HKG TG BKK TG HKG SQ SIN SQ/SA CPT SA FRA LO WAW LO LHR AC YVR AC HKG = 28128 MILES + COS 25% bonus = 35160 miles
The following is off the top of head, without actual checking, but should
still apply:

Actually, it should be cheaper for you to buy the first ticket through to
BKK ( connecting through HK), and then buy the RTW originating in BKK.

I believe RTW ex-BKK is about $500-600 cheaper than HKG, and a
ticket from YVR-HKG-BKK should be cheaper than just YVR-HKG
Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trent
As a physician I can recommend the following:

1. Imovane (zoplicone) in either 7.5 or 5 mg

2. Melatonin

Both have been studied extensively by us in the Canadian Forces:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00005/art00010

I was one of the authors on this study.

Imovane doesn't appear to have a long hangover effect but does often leave a metalic taste in your mouth.

I personally use Imovane when cross and ocean. I just did a trip to Tasmania and back and although I am not a great sleeper I did manage 11 hours from YVR-SYD in total and 10 hours back (mind you, in J, a lot easier to sleep)

Feel free to PM me should anyone in the YOW area wish a small perscritpion and I can see you at my clinic.

This is my contact website:

www.aviationmedintl.com

Always welcome questions, cheers

trent

I have zopiclone 7.5 and it doesn't do it. How much would be ODing? Could I use 1-1/2 pills, i.e. 7.5 x 1.5 = 11.25 without causing a problem?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:20 pm

I have zopiclone 7.5 and it doesn't do it. How much would be ODing? Could I use 1-1/2 pills, i.e. 7.5 x 1.5 = 11.25 without causing a problem?

You could add 50-100mg of Gravol. The combination should do it for most folks.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

You could add 50-100mg of Gravol. The combination should do it for most folks.
A cocktail? Any problem with mixing this with tenormin and zocor?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:33 pm

A cocktail? Any problem with mixing this with tenormin and zocor?

Shouldn't be a problem with your usual meds.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Shouldn't be a problem with your usual meds.
Thanks for the advice. I buy Gravol today and next weekend will be spent hopefully asleep in the sky between YYC and LHR on a MR.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks for the advice. I buy Gravol today and next weekend will be spent hopefully asleep in the sky between YYC and LHR on a MR.
This thread is quite informative, especially for sleeping aids...

First, make sure you buy the drowsy stuff. Gravol also comes in a non-drowsy formula. Avoid the children's strength pills.

My solution is a cocktail of all of the above:

I get up earlier than usual on the day of the flight, to make sure I'm tired when I get onboard. I avoid coffee all day. I always pre-order some kind of fruit platter or similar cold meal for supper onboard: if I'm asleep, the FA will usually keep it for me and add it to breakfast. I also have a lunch later than usual, typically a couple of hours before flying, so I don't have to eat before breakfast. Two gravols one hour before departing on the overnight. A good inflatable head pillow, horseshoe shaped: I too keep the airline pillows for back support. Window seat. I bring my own headphones and my own music; if not, I get the classical or jazz channel on the audio system. I wear a sleeping mask to cut out ambiant light.

Although I personally can't do it, I know of friends who deliberately choose longer overnight routings to make sure they can get enough rest. I dunno how much of this is possible on AC, but this idea would be the equivalent of deliberately choosing YWG->YYC->LHR rather than YWG->YYZ->LHR.

Last edited by respectable_man; Oct 7, 2006 at 9:31 pm
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Trent --

Interestingly, and I know I contradict other studies on this as well, I find that zopiclone has a very strong impact on me post-ingestion.

I will sometimes take as little as 3.75mg, and I am totally WHACKED the next day. I also suffer from complicated migraines, and find the zopiclone hangover can help set off some of the neurological symptoms that represent my auras.

Now, part of my trouble, no doubt, is that like many, I cannot get a full 8 hour sleep afterwards. Most flights are too short, and in many cases if I am a hotel or somewhere, I can only take it after a long debate of "ok, will I or will I not fall asleep if I don't take this horrid stuff?"

BUT, even if I do take it at say 10am, and we land 8hrs+ later, I am a mess the next day. Groggy, sometimes dizzy, often lethargic, often mildly nauseous, and as I said before, sometimes bringing on neorologic symptoms a la transient numbness, diplopia, scintillating scotomas, etc.

I've heard of various other people that (a) have to take more than the recommended amount and (b) have had a bad hangover from it.

Can I function the next day? Yes. I can give a complex technical presentation once the adrenaline starts going. But as soon as I get back to the taxi, the hotel or the next flight, I'm done.

Won't happen for most people, but buyer beware.

Simon
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guru,
As the others have pointed out you can buy most* prescription medicines in BKK. There are restrictions on certain medicines and not all medicines will be available at all pharmacies. As a rule I usually stock up on simple antibiotics etc. when I am there. I have also bought tamiflu etc. I don't use sleeping meds. Trent seems to be offering you good advice considering he/she knows about other drug interactions. Also Thailand is a fine place to catch up on ones sleep(pick a nice 5* hotel and go and have a Thai Blind massage as soon as you land).

http://www.tbmipattaya.com/english/start_english.htm
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:33 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
I like pills and booze as much as the nexsht guy, but I had a supplementary question.

On the extremely unlikely chance the plane to Europe decides it really needs to stop in Halifax and every really needs to hop off the plane ASAP, will the excitement of the situation overcome the effect of the sedative and allow one to save oneself as well as not hinder anyone else? Would you be able to help someone who needed it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.