Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insomniac needs help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Simon
The ONLY time I have managed to fall asleep on a plane without Zopiclone (works, but horrendous stuff the next day) was when a CO FA pumped me full of white wine GRU-EWR. 6 hours later... "what? I slept without Zopiclone?"

Simon
I use Halcyon/Triazolon (sp) because it knocks you out without any drowsiness when you wake. It is difficult to find a GP that will prescribe it. They all admit to its effectiveness and lack of drowsiness, but apparently long term use (daily use of many years) can cause short term memory loss, and it is supposedly highly addictive. If you can get around those two things it is the best.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of my travel is short to medium haul. Once or twice a year, I fly long haul.

Lorezepam (1mg) and one glass of scotch (single malt optional !) and I sleep quite well and wake up refreshed and ready for visiting at destination. This I only use for long haul.....

In fact the last trip, ex NRT, I had a scotch, a meal and my small dose Lorezepam and I went to sleep to awaken somewhere over the midwestern USA. Refreshed and ready to confront the crowds in T5 at ORD.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:33 pm
isi

Originally Posted by BOH
Would that really make too much difference?. Surely YVR-LHR direct is about 9 hours but JFK-LHR about 7-7.5 hours?. In between you would first have a transcontinental of 4-5 hours to JFK.
I was using JFK as an example simply because it is my home base in the NE. Also, I think JFK-LHR is about a 6hr flight instead of the 9:40 out of YVR. This was all assuming that flexibility is available to cut down on the time on any one segment so to fly east take a break in the apt or in town (vacation or do some business etc) then move on with the next segment.

Just trying to throw out some options for breaking up the trip. You could even do some airport hopping -- breaking the trip across the pond with a stop in Rekjavik (is it REK?) which would give you a segment of 5hrs from BOS ( a quick hop down from YYZ) and 3hrs to LHR.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Originally Posted by isi
I was using JFK as an example simply because it is my home base in the NE. Also, I think JFK-LHR is about a 6hr flight instead of the 9:40 out of YVR. This was all assuming that flexibility is available to cut down on the time on any one segment so to fly east take a break in the apt or in town (vacation or do some business etc) then move on with the next segment.

Just trying to throw out some options for breaking up the trip. You could even do some airport hopping -- breaking the trip across the pond with a stop in Rekjavik (is it REK?) which would give you a segment of 5hrs from BOS ( a quick hop down from YYZ) and 3hrs to LHR.
The objective is to do MRs on AC metal so that I can again be Super Elite. So no REK, no JFK-LHR,...
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm the OP!

Years ago when I was a waiter on the CPR main line, the only thing that would knock me out was Seconal because of the motion of the train. Had to have something because each line [YVR-YWG or YWG-YYZ] was about 39 hours and it was hell to work with no sleep. Does anyone know a country where I can get it?

My other complication is that I take heart meds following quintuple bypass and I find that booze now affects me even after 1 sip, so I don't dare try anything like mixing any drug with it like the aforementioned remedy with scotch plus a pill. I'd be higher than the plane.

I'm going to try to integrate the various pieces of advice that you all have given me and for the meantime, try Ambien first. I'll keep Halcyon in mind for now; the idea that I can sleep now, but might turn into a vegetable later definitely makes this a #2 choice.

Any replies on Seconal?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out.
thefareguru
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:27 pm
isi

can you qualify on segments instead of miles?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by thefareguru
I'm going to try to integrate the various pieces of advice that you all have given me and for the meantime, try Ambien first.
Please let us know if you are able to find Ambien in Canada.

Simon
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Please let us know if you are able to find Ambien in Canada.

Simon
Oh, fecal matter...where IS it available?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
SEA or BUF
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
SEA or BUF
Or over the counter in MEX.

DF
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
Tylenol PM or Gravol, and Neo Citrin work well for me. My Dr. recommended Gravol a number of years ago and it's only in your system 4-5 hours and not addictive. Relaxing music on my iPod helps too. That said, I never have a problem sleeping on board. I'm usually asleep before take off.

A few years ago, coming back from PVG (in Y - I had 2 seats to myself), I took 2 - Tylenol PM's just before take-off. I slept the entire flight, waking on descent into YVR... I was slightly dehydrated but well rested upon arrival.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
Or over the counter in MEX.

DF
I tried to get it in PVR and was told I'd need a scrip from a Medico mexicano...

(fortunately my medico americano is a wizard with the prescription pad...
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
For my usual YYZ-LHR I eat in the lounge and have a Gravol and a Kilkenny. I have a neck horseshoe pillow thingy and I sleep the first 4-5 hours of the flight (skipping the meal service). The cabin is dead quiet at this time and there is a nice, serene few hours to read or catch the late movie.

I'm mildly prone to motion sickness anyway, so the Gravol kills two birds with one stone. I used to be one who couldn't sleep at all and spent the first few days in Europe in a haze.

This is all in Y. I sleep worse in J. I don't fly up there often so I try to make the most of it. Too exciting. Come to the back with the rest of us and you'll sleep fine.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
SQ First Class
NH First and TG First too........forget about UA First . If you are doing a MPM run then I would take a flight to BKK where you can load up on the sleeping meds for the rest of the run .
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:57 pm

The best product I've seen, both very effective and inexpensive, is this product, though sometimes there are some unpleasant side effects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.