Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Interpreting J,C&I class for upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

For my next trip to Asia (HKG, stopover in BKK), I have decided I will forgo the M confirmed upgrade, and try Aerolotto instead.

However, I am having trouble deciphering the class availability and interpreting what that means to my chances. Perhaps some of you would be so kind to help me out. i.e. What are my chances upgrading at the gate even if I=0?

YVR-HKG, I see:
a) Nov8 J9 C6 I6 Y-open
b) Nov9 J9 C3 I1 Y-open

B) I return to YYZ, not YVR:
Nov18 HKG-YVR-YYZ J6 C0 I0 Y-open
Nov18 HKG-YYZ J9 C3 I0 Y-open
Nov18 PEK-YYZ J0 C0 I0 Y-open

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:13 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Yes I have one for you. If you manage to fathom out how the whole J/C/I system works, in particular whether any logical pattern exists for which flights generally have I>0 at 4 days out then please tell us all.

Sorry to offer this as a response but I speak as someone who regularly used to be successful on B/H fares out of LHR and back at the E 4 day window. Those days seem to be long gone - E's and P's generally seem to be firmly in the gate Aerolotto game I'm afraid
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:27 am

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by BOH
I speak as someone who regularly used to be successful on B/H fares out of LHR and back at the E 4 day window. Those days seem to be long gone - E's and P's generally seem to be firmly in the gate Aerolotto game I'm afraid
Sadly, that is true - although strangely AC868 YYZ-LHR tomorrow morning is still showing I2. Unfortunately, I'm doing Aerolotto on AC848 later in the evening - and it's I0 like all the other LHR flights.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:25 am

It's strange. Last year I did great on upgrades LHR to YYZ and YVR - something like 7 for 8 or 8 for 9, and half of them were confirmed at 4 days. Now it seems that most of the flights are I0 . Well, at least it saves me paying for H or B fares until I use up my SSWUs, and that's not looking likely at the moment! I bought a ticket on 862 so I wouldn't need a cert - and they cancelled it on me after I bought the ticket .

I actually have a flight in 4 days. I called this morning, but it doesn't look good at J6 C6 I0 (down from C8 this morning). It's been I0 since the 7 day window opened.

I actually thought (and said here) that I thought that upgrades would get *easier* this year. Now that certs aren't transferable, some should just end up not used, thus hopefully less in the system, especially as the year goes on. So either there are a lot more SEs in general beating me with the 7 day window, or else more people are purchasing Y and M fares and getting instant upgrades.

Thanks,

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I think it is getting harder as more people are flying, and the economy is doing well, so perhaps more people travelling on business, in J class. Just wait for the recession to hit, J class should be easier to get into, I hope.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:36 am
BOH

Originally Posted by painintheuk
.......I actually thought (and said here) that I thought that upgrades would get *easier* this year. Now that certs aren't transferable, some should just end up not used, thus hopefully less in the
Dr. PITUK
Either someone from AC (or someone well connected with AC) stated earlier this year that with the creation of "I" as the u/g class and the personalisation of certs this would create more u/g space.

That may well be the case if only there was not so many J9/I0 flights showing at the 7/4 day windows. Why does it feel something has been given with one hand and promptly taken away with the other?. If anything I would say upgrading at the windows has become significantly harder.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by BOH
Either someone from AC (or someone well connected with AC) stated earlier this year that with the creation of "I" as the u/g class and the personalisation of certs this would create more u/g space.

That may well be the case if only there was not so many J9/I0 flights showing at the 7/4 day windows. Why does it feel something has been given with one hand and promptly taken away with the other?. If anything I would say upgrading at the windows has become significantly harder.
I would be very interested to know how often AC sells 9 or more J seats within 4 days of the flight. Even 7 days within the flight.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by shore9
Just wait for the recession to hit, J class should be easier to get into, I hope.
Uh, how about hoping no recession hits, instead?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Simon
Uh, how about hoping no recession hits, instead?
It doesn't even need to be a recession. It could be some catastrophic event that hurts air travel, like some disease or an act of violence. Then FTers could fly J again.

Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by zorn
It doesn't even need to be a recession. It could be some catastrophic event that hurts air travel, like some disease or an act of violence. Then FTers could fly J again.

If something like that happened, we might not have a job to fly around in J!

Back on topic, I haven't used upgrades much, even though I've been E on and off. Does the I inventory need to be I > 0 to upgrade at the gate?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:10 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
If something like that happened, we might not have a job to fly around in J!

Back on topic, I haven't used upgrades much, even though I've been E on and off. Does the I inventory need to be I > 0 to upgrade at the gate?
Don't think so. At the gate, just J>0.

A timely question - I flew into YOW on Sunday from LHR to connect down to YYZ. At LHR I asked about getting on a direct LHR flight but the check-in agent said whilst there was J space available, none of this was currently released for upgrades. So yes, I could change but would have to go on the waitlist for a gate u/g.

Given I had a confirmed J seat on the YOW it was not a difficult decision but I guess the point on I/J at the gate was proven.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by painintheuk
So either there are a lot more SEs in general beating me with the 7 day window, or else more people are purchasing Y and M fares and getting instant upgrades.
As a SE who is pretty good at calling exactly at the opening of the 7 day window, I have had very poor success in 2006 at upgrading in advance (although no problems at the gate). In fact, I had much better luck getting an advance upgrade in previous years as an E. I also note many flights are I=0 MONTHS in advance, making it unlikely that there have been a huge number of Y and M instant upgrades. This suggests a THIRD possibility:

Since the introduction of "I" class, AC has dramatically cut the number of seats available for advance upgrade. Surely not!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:37 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by The Lev
Since the introduction of "I" class, AC has dramatically cut the number of seats available for advance upgrade. Surely not!
And didn't one former FT'er with "connections" claim last year that there was nothing to worry about "I" class changes, the apparent reductions were only teething troubles, separating out "I" from "C" would be beneficial etc etc.

Interestingly, same person has just made a revelation on another FF board about AC wanting more revenue from their FF'ers, therefore watch this space for a likely reduction in cert u/g opportunities.

My prediction; for an u/g either buy Y/M or play Aerolotto at the gate from 2007 onwards as the 2/4/7 day Windows seem to be being phased out. Probably not officially, just many more I=0 as the 7 day window approaches.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by BOH
My prediction; for an u/g either buy Y/M or play Aerolotto at the gate from 2007 onwards as the 2/4/7 day Windows seem to be being phased out. Probably not officially, just many more I=0 as the 7 day window approaches.
Based on what I've seen, many people with Y and M will likely be playing Aerolotto too. Maybe the newest "enhancement" for 2007 will be the "increased availability of gate upgrades" as the "inconvenience" of upgrading in advance is completely eliminated. This will be sold as a time saving feature for FF'ers as they will no longer have to bother with calling in.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I was trying to get a M fare with I space for late OCt YYZ-HKG.... NOTHING!

back to UA and save money... I pay $1300 instead of AC's M fare of $2500 @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.