Wiki Posts
Search

Pay for Q to U/M 'upgrade'?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Doc Fraud
Upgradeability is based on availability of upgrade space at the time of your transaction. If you pay for an "M" fare you also need to check if there is "I" space available. The agent was probably offering you a way to reverse your decision and put you back to "H" rather than threatening you to reclassify your fare maliciously.

FWIW if you are going the "M" class upgrade route, you need to pay very close attention to a tool like KVS and call only when you see "I" availability. Otherwise you may as well roll the dice at the gate and keep the $$$ in your own pocket. My personal rule is to assure a seat up front by 4 days before flight, and I'm sure that the route controllers understand that because on busy routes they will hold "I" at 0 right up to gate control.

DF
thanks to all. Mrs. Mud has well-established views on the feasibility of paying 2000 in order to lie back 20-30 degrees for 15 hours. I expect she might say something along the lines of 'well that's all the reclining you'll be doing for some time'. Just another factor to be considered.

Anybody ever successfully play the 'well, funny you should ask because I actually have a SWU but it is pretty "special" to me' gambit at check in?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: AC *P
Upgradeability is based on availability of upgrade space at the time of your transaction. If you pay for an "M" fare you also need to check if there is "I" space available. The agent was probably offering you a way to reverse your decision and put you back to "H" rather than threatening you to reclassify your fare maliciously.

DF

I do not think you should jump to defend AC here so quickly. You were not privy to my upgrade request telephone conversation and I do understand that that it is based on availability (which was C class at the time).

At the time I paid for my fare, my TA assured me there were some C6 or more seats. The moment I received my ticket number, I called AC to confirm my upgrade and there were still C seats available.

At the time (and unlike now), no "official" M fare was available. The only "official" published fares were H then followed by Y. To get a B or M class, one would have needed to pay $100 for each class upsell along the way.

The AC agent was definitely not offering me my $200 upsell fare difference because he said "your fare basis is H******* so your booking class should be H" and "I am going to change your booking class to H which is what it should be". The AC agent was a French fellow and was one of the rudest I have ever encountered.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
I do not think you should jump to defend AC here so quickly. You were not privy to my upgrade request telephone conversation and I do understand that that it is based on availability (which was C class at the time).

At the time I paid for my fare, my TA assured me there were some C6 or more seats. The moment I received my ticket number, I called AC to confirm my upgrade and there were still C seats available.

At the time (and unlike now), no "official" M fare was available. The only "official" published fares were H then followed by Y. To get a B or M class, one would have needed to pay $100 for each class upsell along the way.

The AC agent was definitely not offering me my $200 upsell fare difference because he said "your fare basis is H******* so your booking class should be H" and "I am going to change your booking class to H which is what it should be". The AC agent was a French fellow and was one of the rudest I have ever encountered.
Upgrades are not based on "C" space. That was my point! You need to look for "I" space which is a virtual allotment of upgradeable seats in the front cabin. It is not uncommon for the front of the bus to show J9 C9 I0. If this occurs you cannot upgrade no matter what your TA tells you.

BTW if you depend on your TA for upgrades, you will spend a lot of time in the back, because most have no two clues about upgrades and upgrade rules.

AC does not need me to defend them, and I am not trying to as they are quite thick skinned based on my own experience. But if you have two parties both of whom are looking for a fight, you will have a fight!! You as the customer are always right, but I would suggest that a hollow victory really doesn't accomplish much.

Remember "I" space is the magic number
DF
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Upgrades are not based on "C" space. (...) Remember "I" space is the magic number
Right on brother ! ^

Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:38 pm

Upgrades are not based on "C" space. That was my point! You need to look for "I" space which is a virtual allotment of upgradeable seats in the front cabin. It is not uncommon for the front of the bus to show J9 C9 I0. If this occurs you cannot upgrade no matter what your TA tells you.

BTW if you depend on your TA for upgrades, you will spend a lot of time in the back, because most have no two clues about upgrades and upgrade rules.

AC does not need me to defend them, and I am not trying to as they are quite thick skinned based on my own experience. But if you have two parties both of whom are looking for a fight, you will have a fight!! You as the customer are always right, but I would suggest that a hollow victory really doesn't accomplish much.

Remember "I" space is the magic number
DF
I do appreciate your clarification and I do realize that it is out of "I" now, which is why I wrote "(which was C class at the time)" earlier. I thank you for trying to be helpful but I know how the upgrade system works.

Perhaps you do not know this, but as of about two to three years ago, availability of upgrade (for at least YYZ-HKG) was out of C inventory and not "I". I never use a TA for upgrade requests for exactly the same reason(s) you mentioned.

It is not until recently when they resorted I class, which is when AC probably realized that they should not confuse a discount J ticket (in C) with upgradeable inventory (then C, now I).

At the time, you could not even buy a C class fare which you can buy now (for my YYZ-HKG flight).
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
I wonder why AC bothers to have a 'F' fare basis on a YYZ-HKG flight? Do they use that fare for selling a UA flight or something?

Originally Posted by KVS
The only cost should be the difference in fare (the applicability of fares listed below would depend on your exact travel dates):

[KVS Availability Tool 2.4.1/Platinum - Sabre: Fares/ZUJ/SG-USD]
Code:
YYZ  Toronto Pearson Int'l ON CA [CYYZ]
HKG  Hong Kong Int'l HK [VHHH]
RT

Carrier          From           To   Fare      Cur     Fare Basis
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- -- ----------
AC               YYZ            HKG    1115    USD     LHKGSPL
AC               YYZ            HKG    1296    USD     QLHKGAC
AC               YYZ            HKG    1431    USD     VLHKGAC
AC               YYZ            HKG    1566    USD     HLHKGAC
AC               YYZ            HKG    1702    USD     BLHKGAC
AC               YYZ            HKG    2108    USD     MLHKGAC
AC               YYZ            HKG    4005    USD     BKXAP3M
AC               YYZ            HKG    4086    USD     BKWAP3M
AC               YYZ            HKG    4724    USD     Y2R
AC               YYZ            HKG    4808    USD     BKXE6M1
AC               YYZ            HKG    4887    USD     BKWE6M1
AC               YYZ            HKG    5144    USD     Y2
AC               YYZ            HKG    6802    USD     CSPHKG
AC               YYZ            HKG    8611    USD     J2R
AC               YYZ            HKG    9234    USD     JR1
AC               YYZ            HKG    9382    USD     FR
AC               YYZ            HKG    9416    USD     J2
AC               YYZ            HKG    9794    USD     Y
AC               YYZ            HKG    9980    USD     J1
AC               YYZ            HKG   10020    USD     Y
AC               YYZ            HKG   10220    USD     F
AC               YYZ            HKG   12908    USD     J
AC               YYZ            HKG   18138    USD     F
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:54 pm

Programs: Sans souci
... Perhaps you do not know this, but as of about two to three years ago, availability of upgrade (for at least YYZ-HKG) was out of C inventory and not "I".
AC created the "I" inventory in May 2005 and yes, prior to that time upgrades came from "C" inventory. I think you'll find that anyone around the AC forum on FT at that time knows all about it--there seemed to be hundreds of postings on it at the time.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
AC created the "I" inventory in May 2005 and yes, prior to that time upgrades came from "C" inventory. I think you'll find that anyone around the AC forum on FT at that time knows all about it--there seemed to be hundreds of postings on it at the time.
Thank you.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
I do appreciate your clarification and I do realize that it is out of "I" now, which is why I wrote "(which was C class at the time)" earlier. I thank you for trying to be helpful but I know how the upgrade system works.

Perhaps you do not know this, but as of about two to three years ago, availability of upgrade (for at least YYZ-HKG) was out of C inventory and not "I". I never use a TA for upgrade requests for exactly the same reason(s) you mentioned.

It is not until recently when they resorted I class, which is when AC probably realized that they should not confuse a discount J ticket (in C) with upgradeable inventory (then C, now I).

At the time, you could not even buy a C class fare which you can buy now (for my YYZ-HKG flight).
Mea Culpa

I thought were having a dialogue about current events since the thread was about a current situation

DF
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:00 pm

Mea Culpa

I thought were having a dialogue about current events since the thread was about a current situation

DF
No worries!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.