Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YEGcg
FYI: It’s not possible to stay “airside” at YOW to get to preclearance (I don’t think it’s possible at any airport with preclearance)
I think YOW is the exception not the rule. At YVR from domestic you enter the international departure hall then form their US pre-clearance. In YYZ from domestic you enter that weird overhead maze or doors and passages and somehow end up at US pre-clearance.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You don't go landside but you certainly clear security in both YVR and YYZ before getting to pre-clearance on connections.

I assume that's why "airside" was in quotes. Because you never leave security.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by dr_torch
I find this one of the downsides of entering the US from YOW (I'm based in YOW). That area is so tiny though I don't think they could ever fit a lounge there.
But the upside is tremendous, who needs a lounge when you can routinely clear security and CBP in less than 15 mins?
Cloud Lounger likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
But the upside is tremendous, who needs a lounge when you can routinely clear security and CBP in less than 15 mins?
It takes more than 15 minutes to clear security and CBP at any major Canadian airport? That's news to me as a Nexus card holder (I primarily fly through YYZ but have had a couple of "domestic" US segments at YVR and YUL). My only pet peeve is at YUL where the Nexus lane isn't enforced on the Canada/International side,.. oh and the Nexus Kiosks when enter Canada at YVR.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:25 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by j2simpso
It takes more than 15 minutes to clear security and CBP at any major Canadian airport?
Try YVR outbound early morning during cruise ship season.

The choke point there is usually Security where they have exactly one Nexus lane (shared with air crew) open.

That line has alone has taken me 15 minutes to clear in the last couple of weeks. IMHO there's more amateurs using the Nexus lanes now.
canadiancow, YOWCDNFF and gcashin like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Try YVR outbound early morning during cruise ship season.

The choke point there is usually Security where they have exactly one Nexus lane (shared with air crew) open.

That line has alone has taken me 15 minutes to clear in the last couple of weeks. IMHO there's more amateurs using the Nexus lanes now.
When I was going through security today at YOW for my "domestic" flight to EWR security told me to remove my shoes. Is this is a new requirement? I don't recall being asked to do so in a TSA pre line or Nexus lane before, was a bit of a PITA since I was wearing hiking boots that were on tight. This surprised me as much as the requirement that liquids had to be in a clear plastic bag when flying outside of North America (never encountered it once in Canada/USA).

That being said, totally agree with you on the point of kettles in Nexus lanes taking their sweet time. There was a lady in my line with a "service dog". IMHO, if you've got a "service dog" you get normal security, no ifs ands or buts.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
When I was going through security today at YOW for my "domestic" flight to EWR security told me to remove my shoes. Is this is a new requirement? I don't recall being asked to do so in a TSA pre line or Nexus lane before...
I have NEXUS, which gives me TSA pre-check as well.

The YYZ DOM-US security checkpoint is the only place I have ever had to take of my shoes. And I have to every time.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:42 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
There was a lady in my line with a "service dog". IMHO, if you've got a "service dog" you get normal security, no ifs ands or buts.
Maybe the dog had its own Nexus card?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
It takes more than 15 minutes to clear security and CBP at any major Canadian airport? That's news to me as a Nexus card holder (I primarily fly through YYZ but have had a couple of "domestic" US segments at YVR and YUL). My only pet peeve is at YUL where the Nexus lane isn't enforced on the Canada/International side,.. oh and the Nexus Kiosks when enter Canada at YVR.

Safe Travels,

James
Early morning or during the winter Florida flights it can be mahem. The YOW set-up seems to be designed to handle the two ERJs an hour that it normally does. Throw in two 737/A321 flights at the same time and it becomes a nightmare. Otherwise, no need for a lounge, you can go to the airport an hour or less before the flight.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
When I was going through security today at YOW for my "domestic" flight to EWR security told me to remove my shoes. Is this is a new requirement? I don't recall being asked to do so in a TSA pre line or Nexus lane before, was a bit of a PITA since I was wearing hiking boots that were on tight. This surprised me as much as the requirement that liquids had to be in a clear plastic bag when flying outside of North America (never encountered it once in Canada/USA).

James
YOW does not have a proper Nexus security lane on the US side. Having Nexus allows you to cut the line, but then it is "standard" security screening. This is a similar setup to the domestic Nexus lanes at smaller CDN airports such as YQB and YXE where it is more like a "priority line" than anything else...
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite

Early morning or during the winter Florida flights it can be mahem. The YOW set-up seems to be designed to handle the two ERJs an hour that it normally does. Throw in two 737/A321 flights at the same time and it becomes a nightmare. Otherwise, no need for a lounge, you can go to the airport an hour or less before the flight.
It would suck to have a long delay at that terminal... I think I would go insane! There was a Timmy's, a small restaurant/cafe and a duty free if memory serves me correctly.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You don't go landside but you certainly clear security in both YVR and YYZ before getting to pre-clearance on connections.

I assume that's why "airside" was in quotes. Because you never leave security.
Yes; “airside” was used as shorthand for “no need to clear security again before the onward flight”.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
J2simpso - your memory is accurate
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Looking at a flight and its significantly cheaper for me to fly YUL-YOW-EWR than direct, but it includes a 3.5 hour layover. If I'm connecting from a domestic flight, can I use the MLL lounge there, and then easily get over to the transborder terminal?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Looking at a flight and its significantly cheaper for me to fly YUL-YOW-EWR than direct, but it includes a 3.5 hour layover. If I'm connecting from a domestic flight, can I use the MLL lounge there, and then easily get over to the transborder terminal?
Yes you can definitely pop in to the MLL (in the domestic gate area), then head outside security and over to the US gates a little closer to your US departure time (allowing time for CBP pre-clearance).
dinoscool3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.